Dr. Vivek N. Patil
The three grand characters of Mercurial group are – destructiveness, elusiveness and restlessness.
The drugs in the Mercurial group are listed below.
Name of drugs
- Mercurius Solubilis
- Mercurius aceticus
- Mercurius auratus
- Mercurius biniodatus = mercurius iodatus rubber
- Mercurius bromatus
- Mercurius corrosivus = Mercurius sublimates
- Mercurius cum Kali = Mercurius biniodatus cum kali iodato
- Mercurius cyanatus
- Mercurius dulcis, calomel
- Mercurius iodatus flavus
- Mercurius Methylenus
- Mercurius Nitrosus
- Mercurius Oxydatus = Mercurious precip. ruber
- Mercurius phosphorus
- Mercurius pracipitatus albus
- Mercurius pracipitatus flavus
- Mercurius Sulphocy- anatus
- Mercurius Sulphuratus niger
- Mercurius Sulphuratus ruber
- Mercurius Sulphuricus
- Mercurius tanicus
- Mercurius vivus
- Mercurialis perennnis
Congestive, Catarrhal, Exudative, Ulcerative, Suppurative, Destructive, Glandular, Scrofulous, Scorbutic, Anemic, Rheumatic, Offensive, Sensitive, Tremulous, Dropsical, Agile, Chaotic, Debilitated, Syphilitic
1. Congestive: Merc is basically inflammatory group of remedies. Every inflammation begins with congestion and Merc has it forcefully in its pathogenesis. This congestiveness has to be differentiated from Aco, Bell or Ferr-ph. These three drugs have congestion in their first stage of inflammation. Merc presents a furtherance of activity where suppuration has supervened. An abscess in Merc is of spreading congestion-more red, more painful, more throbbing, and with adjacent lymphadenopathy.
2. Catarrhal: Merc causes inflammation of mucous membranes resulting in profuse, thin, slimy, acrid, burning, foul or thick greenish-yellow discharges. Merc covers simple to malignant catarrhs in its pathogenesis.
3. Exudative: Exuding the ichorous fluid, pus etc. through affected lesions like boils, abscesses, carbuncles, sinuses, fistulae etc. is the characteristic of Merc. The exudation is usually offensive in nature.
4. Ulcerative: Merc has ulcerations; of the mucous membranes, esp. of mouth and throat. The syphilitic miasmatic dimension is responsible for recurrent and non-healing ulcerations; ulcers based on deep pathologies, or metabolic basis. Syphilitic, phagadenic ulcers.
5. Suppurative: Inflammation in Merc doesn’t stop at the level of congestion. Inflammatory action is intensely acute and violent and rapidly tends to septic disorganization. It is as if little resistance is offered by the system. Defective mesenchymal system and phagocytosis turns the condition into suppuration. Merc has tendency to pus formation and the pus is thin, green, putrid; streaked with blood. Suppuration in glands, ulcers or even internal vital organs like lungs (e.g. empyema) or kidneys (e.g. peri-nephric abscess or pyelonephritis) comes within the range of Merc.
6. Destructive: Merc transforms healthy cells into decrepit, inflamed and necrotic wrecks. Merc is destructive both at body and mind levels. Its lesions resemble those of syphilis. Merc’s action is similar to that of the toxins of infectious diseases. Inflammations of malignant types, and prostration. Appropriate Merc salt can be thought of in cases where perforation threatens.
7. Glandular: Merc has increased glandular activity, esp. of salivary and mucous glands. Lymphatic system is esp. affected with all the membranes and glands. Merc has concomitant lymphadenopathy with skin lesions like boil, abscess, ulcer etc. Syphilitic miasm is responsible for even malignant glandular affections and fevers. Based on scrofulous diathesis, it also covers tubercular glandular affections. Chronic suppurating glands; cold abscesses are dealt with Merc.
8. Scrofulous: Tuberculous disease of lymphatic nodes and of bone, with slowly suppurating abscesses. Merc decomposes the blood, producing a profound anemia. It thus affects the nutrition and prepares a ground for scrofulous affections. Syphilitic activity further leads to cachexia.
9. Scorbutic: Merc has spongy and bleeding gums. When the general condition is impaired and metabolism affected because of malnutrition, scorbusis may get developed. Scorbusis may be a precursor of metabolic diseases like DM.
10. Anaemic: Merc through decomposition of blood, and through bone-narrow depression causes profound or aplastic anemia. Hemorrhages, metabolic disorders, hepatic and renal toxicity cause anemia. Hence Merc constitution is emaciated, pale with dark ring around eyes.
11. Rheumatic: Rheumatic diathesis is one of the features of Merc group. It has both acute and chronic dimensions. Mercs are sensitive to both heat and cold – human barometers and they come down with acute joint swellings and pains consequent to weather changes. ‘Redness’ indicates Merc.
12. Offensive: Merc is filthy, mentally as well as physically. All discharges smell horribly; the decomposition, the debris, the slough, the suppuration; smell emanates from the body. Mercs are, hence, recognized to an observant physician.
13. Sensitive: Mercs are very sensitive to weather changes, hence termed as ‘human barometer’. The inflamed part is very sensitive and depicts all characters of inflammation. The reactivity pattern is exhibited well. Sensitivity attracts environmental stimuli; hence modalities or sensory stimuli / inputs are usually available. Sensitivity is also present at mind level.
14. Tremulous: ‘Trembling’ is a marked characteristic of Merc. Paralysis agitans – Parkinsonism -come under pathogenetic action of Merc. Syphilitic expressions with a lot of pathologies at nerves, spinal cord, and brain resulting in inco-ordination are responsible for tremulousness.
15. Dropsical: Dropsy due to anemia, hepatic, renal or cardiac affections are covered by Merc. Edematous swellings in the affected parts characterize Merc.
16. Agile: Merc is basically an‘active’ group. We get rapid development of symptoms leading to destruction. When active disease processes are present, Merc group is indicated. It is less indicated for remnants or for exhaustion stage. That work is allotted to other groups like Carbon etc. Usually full-blown acute or chronic diseases are found in Merc group because of increased sensitivity and susceptibility.
17. Chaotic: The aberrant immune response as expressed in autoimmune disorders give the character of chaos. Under severe infection, the system becomes prey and behaves in an eccentric way. Tubercular miasma actively dominates the scene. The agile character allows the system to go into chaos.
18. Debilitated: The sway of disease processes under tubercular and syphilitic miasmatic activities depletes the energy. The system can’t continue for long and succumbs. Anemia, malnourishments add to the state of debility. Discharges produced do not ameliorate and further deplete the energy.
19. Syphilitic: Merc and syphilis are knot together since antiquity. Merc has in its pathogenesis all stages of syphilis-primary, secondary and tertiary. Low states and phagadenic condition from syphilitic poison. Destructive effects on nerves. It covers both acute and chronic phases. Discharges which system develops as defense do not help and syphilitic march is continued.
Merc group is an active group and hence must be considered in all inflammatory processes characterized by suppuration. But once Merc action has been over, (for example in a case of an abscess), it is better to follow with either a constitutional remedy or a nosode. Sul is a liaison remedy to complement Merc.
Merc group resembles Acid group as far as inflammation and destruction is concerned. But Acid group is more debilitated. ‘Struggle followed by exhaustion’ is the theme with Acid group. In Merc group struggle is an active process. Fight is the theme and it is continued till decomposition occurs. But if this state appears, better to go to Carbon group of remedies.
Merc group should be compared with Spider group. This group is slyer, nervier and has more loss of control.
Previously Merc was used for all and sundry as a medicine. Now antibiotics and steroids are used. Now we don’t get Mercurialised constitutions to treat homeopathically. But it is necessary to note that modern man is using Mercury more than his predecessors. And it needs to be antidoted by our potentised Mercury.
- A poor conductor of heat but a fair conductor of electricity.
- Atom shows the unstable quick reaction; changes its physical state quickly and possesses extraordinary mobility.
- Low melting and boiling point; reacts to changes of temperature and atmospheric pressure.
- Mercury has affinity for the liquid sphere and left to itself it assumes the form of any liquid, the drop, which at the slightest instance, due to lack of adhesion and liability of inner coherence separates into innumerable droplets, restlessly moving about in every direction.
- Solubility of mercury is directly proportional to availability of NaCl; NaCl enhances Mercury solubility.
- Mercury is heaviest of all known liquids, weighing 13.6 times as an equal volume of water (1litre bottle of Hg weighs more than a bucket of water).
- Its power of cohesion is extremely great but its adhesion to its surroundings is poor. Neither grasped like a solid and doesn’t stick like liquid and retains its own shape.
- Takes up and dissolves all metals such as gold, silver, tin etc. with the exceptions of iron in solutions called amalgams.
- A bizarre substance; cold and elusive, always restless; but when still, it is better than a mirror to see into.
- Due to its solubility in lipids, Mercury has a tendency to concentrate in nervous tissue and particularly the brain which is extremely sensitive to mercury.
- Mercury switches are used in automatic control and measuring instruments as they ensure instantaneous opening and closing of electrical circuits.
- Hg dissolves metals as water dissolves salt.
Interpretation in MM
- Present erratic pattern of disease process. Established pathologies run rapidly.
- Unstable mind and body, imaginations run riot. Exaggeration of complaints. Wants to travel.
- Human Barometer. Increased susceptibility and sensitivity. Changeability.
- Unstable at maintaining relations. Restless. Can go to any extreme under emotional dominance.
- Both Mercury and Natrum salts are related to ‘liquid state’ and hence catarrhal.
- Mercury is furtherance of Natrum presenting suppuration and thick discharges.
- Merc compliments Natrum and is an acute of it. Mentally Nat anger may go into
- Merc rage.
- Heavy to deal with both from personality and disease point of view. Presents deep acting, syphilitic pathogenesis. Discharges are thick and suppurating.
- A leader who coheses the mass but can’t maintain close I.P.R. (Inter-personal Relationship) of harmony owing to elusive, detached and chameleon attributes.
- Odd, clumsy, restless and difficult to unfold; full- blown disease portrait helps click the remedy.
- Presents “Mercurial erethism”- profound and characteristic disturbance of nervous system and mind.
- Instantaneous, quick to act. A trifle can provoke out of proportion response.
- When open; aggressive, dictatorial; when closed; timid, shy, easily embarrassed.
- Mercury almost dissolves the personality of others with its dictatorship, divide and rule policy.