Homoeopathic Medicines made out of Araceae group of plants and their preparation, properties and clinical indications
The family include the following plants:
2. Arum dracontium
3. Arum dracunculus
4. Arum italicum
5. Arum maculatum
6. Arum triphyllum
7. Caladium seguinum
9. Pothos foetida
The plants in this group contain in their juices an acrid principle that causes an irritating effect on mucus membranes and skin.
Hoarseness of voice from over exertion with sensation of constriction of larynx
On the male sexual organs they produce impotency with complete loss of sexual desire
They are indicated in catarrhal Asthma.
Individual study of medicines in Aracea family:
1. Acorus :
Since no proving was conducted nothing is known of this medicine according to E.A. Farrington.
2. Arum dracontium:
- Common name: Green dragon
- Part used: Tincture of root
- It is indicated in pharyngitis and Laryngismus stridulus with rawness, dryness and tenderness of throat aggravated by swallowing. There is continual disposition to clear throat by hawking and coughing. Sore throat is associated with croupy, hoarse cough and expectoration of thick, heavy, yellowish pus. Hoarseness on awakening in morning. Asthma aggravated at night.
- In the sexual sphere there is impotency with complete absence of sexual desire and flaccid, relaxed penis.
- Irresistible desire to pass urine, which burn and smart.
- Symptoms have a tendency to move from right to left.
3. Arum dracunculus:
- Part used: tincture of root
- Metallic taste at the back of mouth.
- Pricking mingled with itching of fingers as if hand plunged among nettles. On rubbing the fingers together sensation as if a vast number of stings were driven perpendicularly into them.
4. Arum italicum:
- Part used: Tincture of root
- Occipital headache aggravated in damp weather. Dull pain in brain from least intellectual effort.
- Colic in umbilical region with diarrhoea. Drinking coffee, brandy and wine aggravates colic.
- Pricking and Formication as from hundreds of needles on tips of fingers.
- Copious night sweats especially on chest smelling ivy.
5. Arum maculatum:
- Common name: Cuckoo – pint
- Part used: Tincture of fresh tuber or corm
- Inflammation and ulceration of mucus membrane with bleeding.
- Violent irritation of nose and eyes.
- Nasal polyps.
- Needle like sensation in mouth and lips.
- Tickling and burning in throat. Pain in throat with difficulty in deglutition but there is constant inclination to swallow.
- Obstinate hoarseness.
- Oppression of chest with hot breath. Asthma with yellow – sanguineous expectoration.
- Burning constricting pain in stomach.
- It is indicated for Ascarides infection
- Prolapse ani.
- Urine has the smell of burnt horn, depositing a cloudy sediment.
6. Arum triphyllum:
- Common name: Jack- in- the pulpit or Indian turnip
- Part used: Tincture of the fresh tuber or corm
- It is a left-sided medicine.
- Bores the head into the pillow in brain troubles.
- Almost all discharges are acrid and it causes irritation of orifices.
- Raw bloody surfaces appear on lips, mouth, throat and nose. Itching accompanies this rawness.
- Patient picks the lip till they bleed. Corners of mouth are sore and cracked.
- Hoarseness in public speakers. Aphonia after exposure to north west wind. Constricted and swollen sensation in throat with constant hawking.
- Obstructed nose must breathe through the mouth.
- Constant picking at the nose.
- Bites the nails until the finger bleed.
- Mouth covered with yellowish white membrane. Ulcers on the lips, tongue and fauces.
- Common name: American arum
- Part used: Tincture of whole fresh plant
- Always wants to lie down.
- General amelioration from perspiration, short sleep and warmth.
- Motion aggravates most of the symptoms.
- Aversion to cold water, but bathing with cold water ameliorates itching.
- Perspiration attracts flies. Sweet smell of sweat.
- Frequent eructation of very little wind as if stomach were full of dry food.
- Pruritus vulvae caused by intestinal worms, finding their way into the vagina and they may cause masturbation and even nymphomania.
- Nocturnal emission without dreams or with non-sexual dreams. Spermatorrhoea. Imperfect erections and premature ejaculation.
- No orgasms during an embrace.
- Catarrhal asthma. Asthma alternating with itching.
- Falls asleep during evening fever and wakes when its stops.
- Sensitive to noise, slightest noise startles from sleep.
9. Pothos foetidus or ictodes foetida:
- Natural order: Orontiacea (allied to Aracea)
- Spasmodic asthma worse from inhalation of dust. Asthma ameliorated by stool.
- Violent sneezing with pain in palate and fauces.
- Hysteria and hysterical paroxysms resembling Tetanus with enormous bloating of abdomen.
- General aggravation from motion and amelioration in open air.
1. Clarke: A dictionary of practical Materia Medica
2. William Boericke: Materia Medica with Repertory
3. E.A. Farrington: Clinical Materia Medica
Dr P Sumesh BHMS,MD(Hom)
Medical Officer,Dept. of Homoeopathy, Govt. of Kerala
Email : email@example.com