Dr Mansoor Ali
The dissertation title is your first opportunity to let the reader know what your dissertation is about.
With just a few words, the title has to highlight the purpose of the study, include its context, outcomes, and important aspects of the research strategy adopted – that means entire work in fe words.
Here is an example
Area : Type 2 Diabetes
Objectives : Role of Helonias in micro vascular complications
Type of study : Case control study
Study population : Urban population of Kozhikode
Title : A study of Homoeopathic Remedy Helonias in micro-vascular complications of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Urban Population of Kozhikode – A case control study.
Only give title as “Usefulness of Homoeopathic Medicine in….” Not as “Efficacy of Homoeopathic Medicine in…” – Efficacy applicable only to RCT
Avoid the use of any abbreviations, acronyms and/or initials to the main body of the dissertation.
The key to writing a good thesis title is to make sure it is not too long, is catchy and holds the reader’s interest
Aim of the study
- Aim is a broad statement of the general intentions of the research and the desired outcomes.
- Emphasize what is to be accomplished, not how it is to be accomplished.
- Address the long-term project outcomes, .i.e. they should reflect the aspirations and expectations of the research topic.
Aims and Objectives are not the same
Objective: means how to achieve aim
May be Primary or Secondary
Main objective: Dehydration management of diarrhoeas
- To reduce number of stools
- To prevent dehydration
- To prevent complications
- To access intensity by a scale
- Primary objectives should be simple, specific, and stated in advance and numbered
- Sample size should be calculated for each objective and would have at least one table in the result section.
- Do not include too many objectives that cannot be adequately answered – as per KUHS 3.
- Secondary objectives may be mentioned, but specific sample size calculation not required.
- Ananatha Krishnan N:medicaal postgraduate dissertation a step by step approach.India:Wolters Kluwer;2013
- Munir Ahammed R : Research Methodology.Bangalore: Centre for Homeopathic Studies;2005
- Writing a reference list in the Vancouver style:VIKO; [Published 29.04.2011;Cited on 30-04-2016].Available from http://www.ntnu.no/viko/english/papers/vancouverlist
- PubMed Central : National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine ; [cited on 29.04.2016]. Available from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/
- Cochrane Libray : Wiley Online Library;[cited on 29.04.2016]. Available from http://www.cochranelibrary.com/
Dr Mansoor Ali K R BHMS,MD(Hom)
Associate Professor- Govt. Homeopathic Medical College, Calicut
Email : [email protected]