Name of the book : Learning Disabilities in a Nutshell – Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia, Dyspraxia
Author : Swaroop Rawal
Foreword by Aamir Khan
Published by Bjain Publishers, New Delhi
Web : www.bjainbooks.com
This is a parent teacher manual for understanding and the management of dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia and Dyspraxia
Learning disabilities are on the rise now a day. The learning disability affects only certain limited areas of child’s development. But the society is very much afraid of these disorders that in turn results in social isolation and ultimately child itself losing his self-esteem.
This book will be useful for doctors, parents and teachers. Lot of exercises in the form of worksheets and games are given in the last part of the book – that itself indicates that the author has an in depth practical experience in the subject.
As author said – the book is help to bridge the gap between research and practice in the field of learning disability. Vocational rehabilitation is the main area that the community and social workers to give importance in compacting learning disability.
Alleviating the anxiety of the parents by reassurance, compassion and implementation of all skills is an added asset in management.
LD is a general term that refers to a heterogeneous group of disorders manifested by significant difficulties in the acquisition and use of listening, speaking, reading, writing, reasoning or mathematical abilities. These disorders are intrinsic to the individual, presumed to be due to central nervous system dysfunction, and may occur across the life span.
- Dyslexia – defective reading
- Dysphasia – Language disorder
- Dyscalculia – Mathematics
- Dyslalia – Articulation
- Dysgraphia – Writing
Main Contents of this book
- Brief history of learning disabilities
- What are learning disabilities
- Etiology of learning disabilities
- Characteristics of learning disabilities
- Different learning disabilities
- Social factors
- How to asses learning disability
- Controversial therapies
- Parents role
- Class teacher’s role
- Flash back and Flash forward
- Work sheets and games
- References for further reading
In the chapter Social factor – author emphasized the need of extra emotional support and help, a learning disable child requires in everyday life and the need of mainstreaming.
If the teacher makes learning an enjoyable experience for their students, they could achieve much better results in class room.
In chapter What parents can do – she emphasized 13 positive and highly useful steps that every parent must know. Usually the parents do not have an adequate amount of knowledge about learning disability and its management. But parents are child’s first and best teachers.
In What the class teacher can do– 17 effective suggestions and guidelines are given to teachers. Students with learning disability often requires individual attention especially in terms of accommodation and modification – they need additional support
Flashback & Flash-forwards are real life success stories of children with learning disabilities.
References : 83 valuable books, periodicals and websites are mentioned
This book is a must for all teachers, parents and doctors who are dealing with learning disability.
About the author
- Dr.Swaroop Rawal PhD is a famous TV personality and is still remembered by the character played teas back.
- Received awards for vocational excellence and for research done in life skill enhancement.
- “Learning life skill through drama” is an innovative project by the author
- Associated with various NGOs working with special child and empowerment of children in India