Sequence Specific Homeopathic DNA remedies; Simpler yet Potent Additions to Homeopathic Practice.
By: Saqib Rashid, BSc, MSc, DHM, NDTP
The homeopathy health care system was established over 200 years ago.
Although it may be difficult to determine the efficacy of homeopathic remediation, because it was originally developed to treat patients on an individual basis, its success is reflected by its gain in popularity on a global scale since its inception.
Over the last two hundred years, there have been many changes in the way that homeopathy has been practiced. For example, historically, it was practiced on the basis of single remedy usage; the selected remedy being specific for each patient. In more recent times, many practitioners have adopted a “polypharmacy” or combination approach. Moreover, instead of prescribing on information derived from a long interview process, many practitioners now use computerised technologies, taken together with a range of diagnostic features such as blood analysis results to determine the remedy choice.
Adoption of revolutionary changes is essential for the advancement of any natural therapeutic system, including homeopathy. This idea contrasts with the views of those who wish to adhere to the information and dogma that was available in the past. Over the last many years, medical science has progressed greatly in all fields in relation to man and disease.
Application of new discoveries in the medical sciences has advanced the understanding of many disease processes. These advances have allowed the development of many more effective treatments to control and resolve many diseases. One of the reasons why conventional systems of medicine are more adaptive to human health care is because their practitioners accept modern scientific discoveries in the field of medical science more readily than practitioners who promote non-conventional systems. Another reason why non-conventional systems may fail to reach optimum health care capabilities is because of a lack of knowledge, proper training and the inability of practitioners to face criticisms raised by the general public and those involved in the conventional system of medicine. Such issues can be changed with proper training through respected training institutes so that newly qualified practitioners can treat not only patients in their clinics but also be able to face and repel any criticism more effectively.
On another front, in homeopathic practice there is a growing need to make use of latest discoveries in biogenetic sciences in the favour of homeopathic diagnostic techniques, advanced remedies and remedy posology. One of the most advanced approaches to utilise newest remedies in homeopathic practice is the use of sequence specific DNA.
DNA as a remedy is used in homeopathic practice. Its proving symptoms are documented in the homeopathic literature i.e.; Materia Medicas of Dr O A Julian and others. Homeopathic pharmacies all over the world most of the time supply a homeopathic DNA remedy without knowing the origin, structure, purity or sequence of the DNA that it is prepared from. It is believed that homeopathic DNA may be derived from fish, cattle or perhaps plants.
Discoveries made by Prof. Khuda-Bukhsh (1), Saha and colleagues (2), Sunila and colleagues (3) and Frenkel and colleagues (4) have shown that homeopathic remedies have the ability to interact with various mammalian genes and promote their expression. Furthermore, Nobel laureate Luc Montagnier has shown that highly diluted (i.e.; equivalent to 6C potency) DNA has telepathic properties and can transfer information between two DNA molecules which have the same sequence (5). Based on the same line of research, Dr. Bernard Marichal (6) developed a system of gene specific homeopathic remedies using small DNA molecules ( sequence specific nucleic acids or SNAs) to treat different sets of immunologically mediated symptoms in homeopathic practice, this system is called Micro-Immunotherapy, within the domain of New Homeopathy. This new approach has been extended for patients’ use by a company called Labo’life (7). Micro-Immunotherapy products produced by Labo’life are specific immune regulator DNA products. Micro-Immunotherapy products have been specifically designed to modulate the immune system therefore these products have a limited field of action. Secondly, these products cannot be used without the help of a trained doctor/practitioner.
In contrast to Dr Marichal’s New Homeopathic system and Labo’life’s efforts to introduce the Micro-Immunotherapy system of sequence specific DNA to homeopathic practice, Dr. Peter H Kay (8) a renowned geneticist and immunologist integrated recent medical science discoveries in the field of genetics into the well established principles of homeopathic pharmacopoeia to introduce a new set of sequence specific homeopathic DNA remedies with ultra-safe features. These new remedies comprise a broad spectrum of homeopathic remedies which contain specific DNA molecules that target specific health promoting genes. These new remedies were introduced with a brand name Homeovitality into the homeopathic world, to be used by the public as well as by practitioners all over the world. Later in collaboration with the author, Dr. Peter Kay’s Homeovitality remedies were incorporated into a complete therapeutic system called Micro-DNA therapy.
As discussed above for a therapeutic system to prevail in all sections of society it should have a full scientific basis in relation to its remedial uses. It should also be supported by training of users which could be either a lay person or a practitioner so that they can face any constructive criticism and deal with it on a scientific basis. For this purpose this newly conceived Micro-DNA therapy system has been further developed, and practitioners and the general public are now offered educational courses currently up to MSc level. In future it is planned to extend these courses to PhD level to teach the principles of the Micro-DNA therapy system and to offer solid scientific information to patients and practitioners alike.
Before we proceed further at this juncture it is very important to discuss the nature of Homeovitality remedies and how they follow the fundamental laws which govern the homeopathic system of medicine.
Homeopathic systems of medicines rely on the following major principles and philosophies:
- Law of Similia.
- The theory of Vital Force.
- Doctrine of drug proving.
- Law of Minimum.
- Doctrine of remedy dynamisation.
1. The Law of Similia is fundamental to the homeopathic system. This very principle is reflected in the Micro-DNA therapy system completely. The Law of Similia is also described for simplicity by the phrase ‘Like cures like’. It means a substance which can produce disease symptoms in healthy people is capable of curing similar disease symptoms in diseased people when used in its diluted form. The Micro-DNA therapy system is based on the principle that disease symptoms that are due to under-expression of certain specific genes in DNA, hence, diseases that are caused by defects of gene expression, can be treated with highly diluted specific DNA molecules which target those genes.
2. Theory of Vital Force is central to homeopathic system. Through homeopathic remediation it is proposed that the Vital Force is promoted to a level so that the disease system enhances its ability to progress from disease to a healthy state. The concept of Vital Force is unclear and seems to be unrealistic when one tries to understand it from a scientific standpoint. For simplicity we may approach it from the angle that enhancing Vital Force means the ability of the body which enables a sick body to get cured from its innermost level towards outermost boundaries. Now, the innermost levels of physical body are considered to be body cells and their energy system. Any disturbances at cellular levels depict an unbalanced Vital Force. Homeopathic remedies act at cellular levels as mentioned above to correct the energy imbalances through change of gene expression and ultimately transform a sick system in to a healthy system. So do the sequence specific DNA molecules used in the Micro-DNA therapy system.
3. The Doctrine of Drug Proving is the basis of homeopathic pharmacopeia. However, this very fundamental doctrine is not applied in many of the new homeopathic remedies. Many homeopathic remedies included within our Materia Medica are due to either accidental proving symptoms or due to application of the Law of Signatures or by reference to the Medical Anthropological characteristics of a substance. Interestingly, a large number of remedies used worldwide that have never been subjected to the proving process are still deemed to be homeopathic and they are included in various homeopathic pharmacopoeias.
Micro-DNA therapy remedies have also not been proved. That is because they cannot be proved. Why can Micro-DNA remedies not be proved? It is due to the fact that the DNA molecules used in these remedies are gene specific, they target health promoting genes only. Thus no disease symptoms can be induced in healthy subjects, rather healthy subjects can use these remedies safely for further promotion of their health and wellbeing.
Here it is important to clarify for practitioners and those who have an interest in the homeopathic system that it is the author’s view that promotion of proving symptoms is due to the fact that, since homeopathic substances have the capacity to induce gene expression and the human genome contains genes that cause disease, proving symptoms are due to the remedy targeting various disease promoting genes. When the same remedy is applied to a sick patient its mode of action is changed due to change of subject (from healthy subject to a sick subject) thus in this case it targets health promoting genes to promote health.
The concept of aggravations in homeopathic system can also be explained in terms of the gene targeting properties of a remedy. For example, administration of a wrong remedy may simply reflect the fact that it has targeted a gene which drives the proving symptoms but has nothing to do with genetic aberrations associated with the disease. Alternatively, an aggravation may result from an “over-dosing” effect. For example, it may be that continued or excessive application of a remedy after disease resolution results in manifestation of proving symptoms in that patient because the patient is now behaving as a healthy person.
The reader may disagree with the author’s postulates, however, it is relevant to develop a working hypothesis to understand certain aspects of homeopathy now that it is recognised that homeopathic remedies have the capacity to affect the expression of various genes.
4. The Law of Minimum is used in relation to homeopathic posology but this principle is not considered a major issue. A minimum dose of homeopathic remedy can bring about profound results and save the patient from suffering aggravations due to over-dose. In the case of the Micro-DNA therapy system, the concept of minimum dose or over-dose becomes insignificant since sequence specific DNA molecules target only health promoting genes; therefore there are no aggravations with the use of these remedies.
5. The Doctrine of remedy dynamisation is of fundamental significance with regard to homeopathic practice. Crude substances are highly diluted and succused to convert them in homeopathic remedy form. In the case of the Micro-DNA therapy system specific DNA molecules are dynamised i.e.; diluted and succused in serial dilutions in accord with requirements outlined in homeopathic pharmacopoeias to achieve the final 6C potency of each Micro-DNA therapy product.
By now it should be realised that Micro-DNA therapy remedies are simply advanced forms of homeopathic substances. They have greater advantages over contemporary homeopathic remedies. For example, ease of prescribing and ultra-safe approach to usage. They save all health care practitioners a great deal of time with patient contact, especially for a busy homeopathic practice.
Health care practitioners can use Micro-DNA therapy preparations with confidence due to three reasons. Firstly, the Micro-DNA therapy system provides a wide range of remedial benefits by using a relatively small number of remedies. Secondly Micro-DNA therapy remedies have no side-effects or aggravations whatsoever thus these remedies can be used with complete safety. Thirdly, the Micro-DNA therapy system provides complete scientific backing in the form of cutting-edge educational programs. Last but not least, because of its simplicity of usage, the Micro-DNA therapy system enables practitioners to serve a higher number of patients within a given time.
- Khuda-Bukhsh, Potentized homeopathic drugs act through regulation of gene expression: a hypothesis to explain their mechanism and pathways of action in vivo. Com. Ther. Med. 5: 43. 1997.
- Saha et al., Phenotypic evidence of ultra-highly diluted homeopathic remedies acting at gene expression level: a novel probe on experimental phage infectivity in bacteria. Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao. 10: 462. 2012.
- Sunila et al., Dynamized preparations in cell culture. Evidence-Based Comp. Alt. Med. 6:257. 2009.
- Frenkel et al., Cytotoxic effects of ultra-diluted remedies on breast cancer cells. Int. J. Oncol. 36:395. 2010.
- Montagnier et al. Electromagnetic signals are produced by aqueous nanostructures derived from bacterial DNA sequences. Interdiscip. Sci. Comput. Life Sci. DOI:10.1007/s12539-009-0036-7. 2009.
For comments and feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
©Saqib Rashid: Mind Body Clinic, London, UK.