Southeast Asian International and Indian National Conference on Health Professions Education
At PSG Institute of Medical Sciences & Research, Coimbatore, India.
On 5th to 8th September, 2012
Theme of the Conference: Social accountability: Responding to Societal needs through Quality Assurance and Accreditation in Health Professions Education
- South East Asia Regional Association of the World Federation for Medical Education (SEARAME)
- World Health Organization-South East Asia Regional Office (WHO-SEARO)
- Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER)
About the theme:
Social accountability of medical schools is defined by the WHO as “the obligation to direct their education, research and service activities towards addressing the priority health concerns of the community, the region, and /or the nation they have a mandate to serve. The priority health concerns are to be identified jointly by governments, health care organizations, health professional and the public”.
Medical education accreditation standards in many parts of the world are being rewritten with an explicit social accountability framework. The focus of this conference would be towards understanding and promoting health sciences education that is aligned with health needs of society, and designing accreditation standards and processes for health sciences education that reflect these principles of social accountability.
- Apply principles of social accountability to the Southeast Asian context
- Identify and bridge gaps between current health sciences education systems and health care needs of society in the region
- Create consensus on the mission and strategies of health sciences schools related to improving the health of society in Southeast Asia
- Identify evaluation tools for assessing impact of changes to the mission and strategy of health sciences schools towards improving the health of society
- Link WFME standards addressing social accountability with regional standards for health sciences education
- Education leaders, policy makers, students, and others interested in the connection between education and health.
- Educators interested in improvement in standards of health professions education.
Workshops: 5-6th September, 2012
Conference: 6 – 8th September, 2012
Department of Medical Education
PSG Institute of Medical Sciences & Research
Coimbatore 641004 Tamil Nadu, India
Phone: +91-422-2570170 & +91-422-4345803
Email : email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Web : https://sites.google.com/site/nchpesearame2012/