- Most are perennial herbs.
- Flowers are bisexual.
- Distributed all over but few are aquatics.
- family is important for the products used as food, condiments & ornaments.
- Some members posses alkaloids & resins in poisonous quantities
- Inflorescence in umbelle or simple or compound.
- 3000 species in this group.
- Only 22 remedies from this group.
- Flowers are usually light in color- white or pink.
- Sour waterbrash & heart burn extending up to the throat.
- Good remedy for colics , stomachaches & obstucted flatulence.
- Unusual distension of abdomen with hysterical belching.
- Thirst & appetite increased with aggravation after eating
- Vomiting & diarrhoea with ineffectual urging & offensive flatus.
- Craving for sour acids and desire for beer or wine.
- Aggravation or aversion to milk.
2) Nervous system
- Produces violent spasms & convulsions often epileptic or hysterical
- Convulsions during and after pregnancy with red face , pupils dilated & frothing at mouth.
- Tetanic rigidity with falling back wards.
- Jerking in sleep or as in convulsions.
- 3) lack of vital heat or tendency to takecold or aggravation from cold.- CHILLY.
- 4) Bad effects of falls, blows, sprains & injuries.< motion. > rest, lying.
- 5) excites vascular system with tendency to produce cattarah. Dropsy with fullness & puffiness of parts.
- 6) sexual sphere :
- Males: painful ejaculation with chordee. Sexual desire increased with pollutions for several nights. Aversion to sex also.
- Females : profuse acrid leucorrhoea. Menses absent , irregular or delayed. Menses painful, profuse or scanty, short lasting.
- Sexual desire high.
- On one side:
- Cheerful, excited, intoxicated state.
- Acting in childish fashion- desire for all the pleasures of life-
- to dress up, dance, desire finery, sexual indulgence, desire company, HYSTERICAL.
- Due to increased sensitivity & long lasting susceptibility
- Lack of interest , aversion to dress up, shunning company & presence of people, even family.
- On the other side:
- Lack-luster, too simple life.
- Most of the flowers of this group are less colorful- THEME- simple, peaceful, uncommitted life. Indifference to everything.
- This is described in the symptom “delusion as if lying in a grave, that is being filled in…. Feels resigned & peaceful.”
The umbelliferae are an order of plants which have a marked action on:
- a) The nervous system
b) Glandular system
c) Mucous membrame
The remedies obtained from this order are
- Conium Mac
- Cicuta virosa
- Cicuta Maculata
- Aethusa cynapium
- Apium graveolens
- Ammoniacum gummi
- Oenanthe Crocata
- Eryngium aquaticum
- Hydrocotyle Asiatica
- Phellandium Aquaticum
- Petroselimun Sativum
- Ferula glauca
- Eryngium maritimum
Action on Nervous System
- Conium Mac
– It acts as a depressor of Cerebro-spinal system
– This acts up on Motor nerves producing Paralysis-which spreads from below upwards.
- Cicuta Virosa
– Produces congestion at the base of the brain & in the medulla oblongata.
– It produces local & general spasms and paralysis.
- Cicuta Maculata
– Similar to Cicuta virosa
A frightful poison, having narcoic properties as well as Paralyzing effects.
- Athamantha :There is a dull, befogged condition of brain.
- Oenanthe crocata :Acts up on cerebro-spinal axis, Convulsions
- Phellandrium Aquaticum :Acts upon nerves Neuralgias, especially Neuralgic headache
- Apium Graveolens : It causes nervous irritation, feeling of “fidgets”, Inability to sit still in bed, Cannot keep mind from thinking.
- Petroselinum Sativum : Acts up on nerves, Neuralgia, especially Neuralgic dysmenorrhoea.
- Pastinaca : Irritability of gastric nerves depressed, emetics in double the usual doses have no effect.
- Asafoetida : It is a stimulant to the brain & Nervous system.
- There is hysterical & nervous symptom of a flatulent character.
- Sium – Acts on nerves, Neuralgias.
Action on Glandular System
- Conium Mac
There is congestion and induration of glandular structures associated with soreness
Mainly of Mammae, ovary & prostate
mammary and axillary glands are swelled like a string of beads.
Prostatic gland is affected, Sensation of weight in Perinium.
Mammae are affected especially milk ducts, -More affinity towards right.
- Petroselinum -Prostatic enlargement
- Eryngium Aquaticum
Prostatic gland is affected, frequent desire to urinate and Discharge of prostatic fluid from slightest cause
Action on Skin
- Cicuta Virosa :Produces Pustular eruption with yellow Crusts.
- Petroselinum à:-Stimulates the skin Eruptions
- Aethusa :Produces herpetic eruption
- Ammoniacum :-Produces Eruptions
- Apium Gravealens :-Urticaria always appearing with intense itching with rapid change of location.
Granulating ulcers with profuse discharge.
– Acne, eczema, Pemphigus
– lupus, covered with papular eruptions
– Thick crust covering yellow pus
- Common name:- Fool’s Parsley
- Especially for children during dentition in hot summer weather
- children who cannot bear milk.
- Great weakness : children cannot stand; unable to hold up the head (Abrot.)
- Prostration with sleepiness.
- Idiocy in children : incapacity to think; confused. –
- Complete absence of thirst (Apis, Puls. -rev. of Ars.).
- Intolerance of milk.
- Cannot bear milk in any form; it is vomited in large curds as soon as taken; then weakness causes drowsiness (compare, Mag. c.).
- Indigestion of teething children; violent, sudden vomiting of a frothy, milk-white substance; or yellow fluid, followed by curdled milk and cheesy matter
- Epileptic spasms, with clenched thumbs, red face, eyes turned downwards, pupils fixed and dilated; foam at the mouth, jaws locked.
- Aggravation. After eating or drinking; after vomiting; after stool; after spasm .
- Vertigo with drowsiness with palpitation,head hot after vertigo ceases.
- Common name:- Common celery
- Contains a soporific active principle.
- Obstinate retention of urine, throbbing headaches and heartburn, have been produced by celery.
- Swelling of throat, face, and hands.
- Rheumatic pain in muscles of neck also in sacrum.
- Growing pains.
- Hungry for apples.
- Dysmenorrhoea, with sharp, short pains, better flexing legs.
- Head –
- Depressed; energetic; feeling of fidgets; cannot sleep from thinking.
- Headache; better eating.
- Abdomen –
- Sore; sharp sticking pain as if stool was coming on; diarrhoea, sharp pain in left iliac region going over to right.
- Nausea increases with pains.
- Female –
- Sharp sticking pains in both ovarian regions, left, better bending over, by lying on left side, with legs flexed; nipples tender.
- Respiratory –
- ickling, dry cough.
- Intense constriction over sternum, with drawing feeling through to back on lying down.
- Throat swollen, dyspnoea.
- Sleep –
- Wakes from 1 to 3 a.m. –
- Eating does not help sleep.
- Not fatigued from loss of sleep.
- Common name:- gum of the stinkasand
- The flatulence and spasmodic contraction of stomach and oesophagus with reverse peristalsis are the most marked symptoms.
- In its selection, its relation to the hysterical and hypochondriacal patients, must be borne in mind.
- Besides these superficial symptoms, it has been found to affect favorably deep ulcerations, caries of bones, especially in the syphilitic organism; here the extreme sensitiveness and terrible throbbing, nightly pains, guiding to its use
- Throat –
- Globus hystericus
- Stomach –
- Great difficulty in bringing up wind.
- Flatulence and regurgitation of liquid.
- Hysterical flatulence.
- Great distention.
- Sensation of emptiness and weakness, with distention and beating instomach and abdomen.
- Forcible eructation of gas.
- Pulsation in pit of stomach.
- Violent gastralgia; cutting and burning in stomach and region of diaphragm.
- Female -Mammae turgid with milk in the unpregnated.
- Deficient milk, with oversensitiveness.
- Rectum –
- Distended, griping, with hunger.
- Obstinate constipation.
- Pain in perineum, as if something dull pressed out.
- Skin –
- Itching, better scratching; ulcers painful on edges.
- Suppressed skin symptoms produce nervous disorders.
- Modalities –
- Worse, at night; from tough; left side, during rest, warm applications. –
- Better, open air; from motion, pressure.
- Common name:-Water Hemlock
- Women subject to epileptic and choreic convulsions
- Spasms of teething children, or from worms.
- Convulsions : violent, with frightful distortions of limbs and whole body; with loss of consciousness of opisthotonos; renewed from slightest touch, noise or jar.
- Puerperal convulsions
- frequent suspension of breathing for a few moments, as if dead; upper part of the body most affected; continue after delivery.
- Abnormal appetite for chalk and indigestible things; for coal or charcoal; child eats them with apparent relish (Alum., Psor.).
- Epilepsy : with swelling of the stomach as from violent spasms of the diaphragm; screaming; red or bluish face; frequent at night.
- Injurious chronic effects from concussions of the brain and spine, especially spasms; trismus and tetanus from getting splinters into flesh (Hyper.).
- Pustules which run together, forming thick, yellow scabs, on head and face.
- Sycosis menti.
- Eczema no itching; exudation forms into a hard lemon-colored crust.
- Brain disease from suppressed eruptions. – Aggravation. From tobacco smoke (Ign.); touch.
- Common name:- Poison Hemlock.
- The “Balm of Gilead” for diseases of old maids and women during and after climacteric.
- Especially for diseases of old men; old maids; old bachelors; with rigid muscular fibre; persons with light hair who are easily excited; strong persons of sedentary habits.
- Debility of old people; complaints caused by a blow or fall; cancerous and scrofulous persons with enlarged glands; rigid fibre.
- No inclination for business or study; indolent, indifferent, takes no interest in anything.
- Memory weak, unable to sustain any mental effort.
- Morose; easily vexed; domineering, quarrelsome, scolds, will not bear contradiction (Aur.); excitement of any kind causes mental depression.
- Dreads being alone, yet avoids society (Kali c., Lyc.).
- Glandular induration of stony hardness; of mammae and testicles in persons of cancerous tendency; after bruises and injuries of glands (compare, Aster. rub.).
- Breasts sore, hard and painful before and during menstruation (Lac. c., Kali c.).
- Vertigo : especially when lying down or turning in bed; moving the head slightly, or even the eyes; must keep head perfectly still; in turning the head to the left (Col.); of old people; with ovarian and uterine complaints.
- Cough : in spasmodic paroxysms caused by dry spot in larynx (in throat, Act.); with itching chest and throat (Iod.);
- worse at night, when lying down, and during pregnancy (Caust., Kali br.).
- Great difficulty in voiding urine; flow intermits, then flows again; prostatic or uterine affections.
- Menses : feeble, suppressed; too late, scanty, of short duration; with rash of small red pimples over body which ceases with the flow (Dul.); stopped by taking cold; by putting hands in cold water (Lac d.).
- Leucorrhoea; ten days after menses (Bor., Bov.); acrid; bloody; milky; profuse; thick; intermits.
- Bad effects : of suppressed sexual desire, or suppressed menses; non-gratification of sexual instinct, or from excessive indulgence.
- Sweat day and night, as soon as one sleeps, or even when closing the eyes (Cinch.).
- Aggravation. At night; lying down; turning or rising up, in bed; celibacy.
- Common name:- Indian pennywort
- Curative in disorders that exhibit interstitial inflammation and cellular proliferation in any part.
- Hypertrophy and induration of connective tissue.
- Has considerable reputation in leprosy and lupus, when there is no ulceration.
- The skin symptoms are very important.
- Of great use in ulceration of womb.
- Difficulty in maintaining the upright posture.
- Very copious perspiration.
- Pains of cervical cancer.
- Heat in vagina.
- Common name:-water dropwart
- Epileptiform convulsions; worse, during menstruation and pregnancy.
- Puerperal eclampsia; uraemic convulsions.
- Burning in throat and stomach, nausea and vomiting.
- Red spots in face.
- Convulsive facial twitching.
- Skin affections, especially lepra and ichthyosis.
- Head –
- Pains all over head, dizzy.
- Sudden and complete unconsciousness.
- Furious delirium, giddiness.
- Countenance livid, eyes fixed, pupils dilated, convulsive
- Extremities – Convulsions; opisthotonos.
- Pain along crural and sciatic nerves, commencing in back.
- Cold hands and feet.
- Numbness of hand and foot. Oleander (rose-laurel) * Has a marked action on the skin, heart and nervous system, producing and curing paralytic conditions with cramp-like contractions of upper extremities. *
- Urinary symptoms keynote. Piles with itching.
- Thirsty and hungry yet as soon as they begin to eat or drink they lose all desire (rev. of, Cal.).
- Sudden urging to urinate (Canth.).
- Frequent voluptuous tickling in fossa navicularis
- Child suddenly seized with desire to urinate; if cannot be gratified at once jumps up and down with pain Burning, tingling from perineum throughout whole urethra.
- Gonorrhoea : sudden irresistible desire to urinate. Milky discharge.
- intense biting, itching, deep in urethra, must rub it with some rough article in urethra for >> ; pain at root of penis or neck of bladder.
- Common name:- water dropwort
- The respiratory symptoms are most important, and have been frequently verified clinically.
- A very good remedy for the offensive expectoration and cough in phthisis, bronchitis, and emphysema.
- Tuberculosis, affecting generally the middle lobes. * Everything tastes sweet.
- Haemoptysis, hectic and colliquative diarrhoea.
- Weight in vertex; aching and burning in temples & above eyes.
- Female –
- Pain in milk ducts; intolerable between nursing.
- Pain in nipples.
- Chest – Sticking pain through right breast near sternum, extending to back near shoulders.
- Dyspnoea, and continuous cough, early in morning.
- Cough, with profuse and fetid expectoration; compels him to sit up.
- Fever –
- Hectic; profuse and debilitating perspiration; intermittent, with pain in arms.
- Desire for acids.