Dr JALPA ATRI MD(HOM.)
ABSTRACT: Research and development in medical science should consider worthy only when it helps suffering community. For application of medical science in community, one must thoroughly know about the community medicine. Knowledge of Social and Preventive Medicine helps physician to convert his theoretical learning in practical reality. Homoeopathy is a branch of medical science known for the gentle and holistic healing. So, merging of Homoeopathy and community will be a boon to suffering Humanity for enjoying good health and avoid illness.
KEYWORDS: Homoeopathy, Community Medicine, Health, illness
Concepts reflects the core of subject and for merging of homoeopathy and community, one must understands the concepts of both in terms of similarities and dissimilarities. So, let’s discuss about concepts of both in detail to extract some information regarding consequences of merging homoeopathy and community.
1. Dynamic Concept of health: Homoeopathy is famous for his dynamic concept of health which makes it different from materialistic concept of conventional medicine. Homoeopathy considers health as state not the material entity.
In aph. 9 of Organon of medicine, Hahnemann defined health as, “In the healthy condition of man, the spiritual vital force (autocracy), the dynamis that animates the material body (organism), rules with unbounded sway, and retains all the parts of the organism in admirable, harmonious, vital operation, as regards both sensations and functions, so that our indwelling, reason-gifted mind can freely employ this living, healthy instrument for the higher purposes of our existence.”
2. In Community Medicine, WHO Defined Health as following, “Health is a state of complete Physical, mental and Social well being and not merely an absence of disease or infirmity.” The WHO definition of health has been criticized as being too broad. Some argue that health cannot be defined as a “State” at all, but must be seen as a process of continuous adjustment to the changing demands of living and of the changing meanings we give to life. it is dynamic concept. It helps people to live well, work well and enjoy themselves.
3. Concept of Causation: in community medicine, after failure of applicability of germ theory of disease against newly emerging disease conditions “Multi factorial causation by Pettenkofer and then web causation by Mac Mohan and Pugh explained the role of social and environmental factors in causation of disease.
Homoeopathy as mentioned in aph. 5, 93, 94 considers all factors external to man. In aph. 5 Dr. Hahnemann mentioned about causation as follows, “Useful to the physician in assisting him to cure are the particulars of the most probable exciting cause of the acute disease, as also the most significant points in the whole history of the chronic disease, to enable him to discover its fundamental cause, which is generally due to a chronic miasm. In these investigations, the ascertainable physical constitution of the patient (and intellectual character, his occupation, mode of living and habits, his social and domestic relations, his age, sexual function, ..etc., are to be taken into consideration.
4. Preserver of health: Community medicine deals not only with cure sick person but also included health preservation and disease prevention. It deals with all the factors that affect the disease, health and health related state. As famous Proverb, “Prevention is better than Cure”. Community medicine deals with Prevention of disease and preservation of health as main goals in order to achieve the health by all.
Homoeopathy also believes in prevention and preservation. Dr. Hahnemann had Mention about it in aph. 4 as follows, “He is likewise a preserver of health if he knows the things that derange health and cause disease, and how to remove them from persons in health.” If one aims to be Preserver of Health as mentioned by Dr. Hahnemann then he must possess the knowledge of Community Medicine. Homoeopathy and Community medicine both are having a similarity in Concept of Role of Physician as Preserver of health.
5. Susceptibility: It is related with the reaction of an individual to stimuli. It is one of the basic concepts in homoeopathy that decides the practical application of medicine and cure in Homoeopathy. In this modern era, it is clear that each one having their own individual reactions towards the stimuli and physician must adjust the method treatment according to it. Consideration of Susceptibility starts from case taking to final selection and repetition of medicine and ultimately decides the prognosis of case. In community medicine, based on this susceptibility (i.e. Individual Reaction pattern) high risk groups are extracted among the group of people or population. High risk group needs special management due to their individual susceptibility. e. High risk mother and Infants need more special attention than other antenatal population. There are many measures to protect the individual from Hypertension or other non communicable disease based on their hereditary or environmental life pattern.
6. Genus Epidemic: Community deals with the epidemiology i.e. they are mainly concerned about the health and health related events in Population. Here preventive and curative measures are applied on whole population instead of one individual. Management of epidemic diseases is one of main functions of Community Medicine.
Homoeopathy also provides guidelines regarding the management of Epidemics as mentioned in Organon of medicine by Dr. Hahnemann in Aph. no. 100-104. Hahnemann described the methods of investigation in epidemics and management of that same with Medicine called Genus epidemic. Utility of Homoeopathy in epidemic control will helps community Medicine to handle the Epidemic in more easy and economically cheaper way.
7. Vaccination and Homoeo-prophylaxis: Vaccination and Homoeo-prophylaxis are both used with a one purpose i.e. Prevention of disease. Inspite of same goal of both interventions there are many aspects in which they differ from each other in Prevention of disease. Potentization and route of administration are one of the aspects that differentiate both the intervention at major part. In this time, there are still controversies present among the Homoeopaths on the relationship between Vaccines and Homoeo-prophylaxis.
8. National Health Administration: Integration of Homoeopathy with national Health Programms and in health services will beneficial to health of Community as well as to the economic Status of Country. Earlier model of National Rural Health mission of Integration of AYUSH in Health Policy was appreciable effort but its progress was not effective in long term implementation. Homoeopathy Wellness centers comprises 31% of the total for AYUSH. 7 out of 10 diseases recognized as a national health burden are in the category of the most commonly reported diseases at the homoeopathy wellness centers Sensitized the health service administrators at various level of health Administration Structure of our Country will opens new path for implantation of homoeopathy in larger scale.
- Boericke W. Organon of medicine. 6th India: B. Jain publishers Pvt. Ltd
- Park K., Park’s textbook of preventive and social medicine. 26th India: M/s Banarsidas Bhanot Publishers
- Kaur H., Singh D., Manchanda R., Homoeopathy Inn Public Health in India, 2019 may;108(2): 76-87. Doi: 10.1055/s -0038-1673710.