Dr. Jyoti Sharma1 Dr. Shivangi jain2, Dr. Manju Bijarnia2
- Assistant Professor, Department of Paediatrics,
- M.D. (Hom.) Part I, Department of Paediatrics,
Dr. M.P.K. Homoeopathic Medical College Hospital and Research Centre, a constituent college of Homoeopathy University, Saipura, Sanagner, Jaipur (Raj.)
ABSTRACT: Emotions are the internal essence of human being which is expressed in various ways. In such a way depression at the age of menopause is very common problem due to hormonal changes in the body. With the help of homoeopathy, we can bring the emotional balance in the equilibrium, on the level of soul, mind and body.
KEY WORD: – Depression, Menopause, Homeopathy, Mental health at menopause.
INTRODUCTION:- Unpredictable hormone fluctuations plus stress, body image, sexuality, infertility, or aging- any one or a combination of these causes emotional distress that may result in mood swings or, in more severe cases, depression. Determining the cause and extent of your “menopause blues” is very important. It is common myth that as women entre the menopausal year it is normal to feel depression. Depression is related to hormonal and bio-chemical changes in brain. Serious depression should never be view as normal event and woman who suffers from it any time in life receive the same attention as for any other medical illness. But many women do experience mood swings during perimenopause. Happy highs that turn into teary-eyed lows. Cheerful times followed by crabby days. It’s thought that these mood swings are related to the fluctuating levels of ovarian hormones during this transition to menopause. Plus, if a woman is not sleeping well due to night sweats, her mood would no doubt be affected, too. Declining estragon level is associated with hot flashy menopause. Depression can be a debilitating disease, limiting daily activity as much as severe arthritis or heart disease.
Mood, Depression and the Menopause: –
- Some women constant feel state of premenstrual syndrome.
- Midlife may be characterised by negative thoughts about ageing.
- At the age of menopause women feels loneliness.
- Mood swings women can behaviour differently due to frequent change in mood.
Different change in the body at the time of Menopause:
- Menstrual Changes: – Sudden cessation of menses or gradual decrease of flow of menses.
- Cardiovascular Symptoms: – Hot flushing, sweating, Palpitation, Profuse sweating during sleep, Angina pain.
- Neurological and Emotional Symptoms: -Paraesthesia, Irritability, Sexual feeling is increased, Restlessness, loneliness.
- Gastrointestinal Symptoms: -Flatulence, Acidity, Distended Sensation of abdomen, Constipation, Heaviness Sensation.
- LocomotorSymptoms: – Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, Backache
- Endocrine Symptoms: – Obesity, Thyroid dysfunction, Brittleness of Hairs, Dryness of Skin, Reduce Mental Power & Concentration.
- Genital Track Symptoms: – Atrophy of the organs, Dryness, Ovulation finally ceases.
Symptoms of Depression:-
- Mood Swings
- Sleep disturb and Sleep deprivation
- Negative feeling
- Suicidal thoughts
- Lethargy or fatigue
- Loss of interest in daily activity
- Lack of ability to concentrate
- Change in appetite
Factors leading to depression at the age of Menopause:
- Prolong exposure to work
- Long term unemployment
- Living in abusive and Uncaring relationship
- Hormonal changes contribute mood swings
- Low social economic status
- Past history of depression.
- History of Chronic illness.
Life Style Management:-
- Relaxation, Meditation, Yoga
- Take proper diet
- Advise regular exercise
- Take active participation in every activity
- Listing music, Playing game
- Spent time with family and friend
- Proper support from the family
- Hormonal treatment antidepressant
- Hormonal replacement therapy or the combination of anti depressant and hormones advise to the women
- Advise for counselling from professional such as family doctor and psychologist.
- Conium Mac: – Depression during mensuration pregnancy and menopause. Excitement cause mental depression. Timid weak memory, afraid to be alone. No inclination for business or study, takes no interest in anything. Memory weak, unable to sustain any mental effort.
- Pulsatilla: – Depression due to hormonal change. There is extreme tendency to cry and craving for sympathy, Fresh air, cold drink desire. Weeps easily. Timid, irresolute. Fears in the evening of being alone, ghosts. Likes sympathy. Easily discouraged. Morbid dread of the opposite sex.
- Zincum met: – Depression on account of a disease. Very sensitive to noise. Aversion to work, talking.
- Gelsemium: – Earache during menopause, insomnia during menopause. Desire to be quite, to be left alone. Discernings are lethargic. Apathy regarding his illness. Absolute lack of fear. Delirious on falling asleep.
- Lachesis: – Very important during climacteric and for patients with a melancholic disposition. Sensation of tension in various parts, Cannot bear anything tight anywhere.Flooding at climacteric and in Pre-Cancerous flowing, Palpitation, Hot flushes, headache and Haemorrhage or Mental trouble. Derangement of time sense. Jealous. Sad in the morning, no desire to mix with the world.
- Sepia: – Unusual bleeding during menopause, Hot flushes at menopause with weakness and perspiration. Symptoms travel upwards. Easy fainting. Ball like sensation in inner parts. Feels cold even in a warm room. Indifferent to those loved best. Averse to occupation, to family. Irritable, easily offended. Dreads to be alone. Very sad.
- Calc Carb: – disease of women around climatic pituitary and thyroid dysfunction. Apprehensive, worse towards the evening, fears loss of reason, misfortune, contagious diseases. Forgetful, confused, low spirited. Anxiety with palpitations. Averse to work or exertion.
- Amylenum Nit: – Climacteric headache and flushes of heat with anxiety and palpitation.
- Ignatia: –Nervous debility during menopause. Women of sensitive, easily excitable nature, dark, mild disposition, quick to perceive, rapid in execution. Rapid change of mental and physical condition, opposite to each other. Great contradictions. Alert, nervous, apprehensive, rigid, trembling patients who suffer acutely mentally or physically, at the same time, made worse by drinking coffee.
At the age of menopause depression is common problem with women due to hormonal changes. There are various changes which take place in the body. This affects the Emotional, Social behaviour of the person as well. Homoeopathic prescriptions are based on totality of symptoms, considering mental symptoms at the highest grade. Since homoeopathic medicines act dynamically and holistically it has potential role in management of menopausal depression.
- Padubidri VG, Daftary SN. Howkins & Bourne Shaw’s Textbook of Gynaecology. 16th edition. Gurugram: Elsevier India; 2014.
- Jana B. Text book of gynaecology & obstetrics. New Delhi: B. Jain publishers (P) Ltd.; 2005.
- Khaneja HS. Ilusstrated guide to the homoeopathic treatment. 3rd ed. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd.; 2009.
- Boericke William. New Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica. New Delhi: B Jain Publishers (P) Ltd.; 2011.
- Jana B. Text book of gynaecology & obstetrics. 1st ed. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd.; 2007.
- Lilienthal S. Homoeopathic therapeutic. 1st ed. New Delhi: B. Jain publishers (P) Ltd.; 2005.