Dr Jaimin R Chotaliya M.D. (Hom.)
Abstract: Homoeopathic therapeutic system is emerging as one the most desirable treatment methods in present medical time. In community health, women and children are classified as vulnerable groups and protection of their health and prevention/ treatment of their ailments become an important target to whole medical system. Homoeopathy offers a gentle care to these vulnerable groups with its huge data about various treatment methods and management of cases. Many pioneers of Homoeopathy have mentioned huge data about gynaecology and obstetrics. In present era, we need a good compilation which covers all these information in short book without losing their essence to attain the highest ideal of cure in field of gynaecology and obstetrics. Dr. Clarence M. Conant has been using various books and with huge clinical experience prepared a short compilation named “An obstetric mentor”. This book will help us in our obstetrics OPD to tackle cases with various pathological manifestations.
Keywords: Obstetrics, Homoeopathy, Remedies
Full name: – An obstetric mentor, A handbook of Homoeopathic treatment required during Pregnancy, Parturition, and the Puerperal season.
Name of Author: – Dr. Clarence M. Conant (M.D.)
Edition: – 1st edition (1884)
Published by: – A. L. Chatterton & Co., New York (1884)
In the preface, the author has said that the first idea of this book was from a case. Author has been using Guernsey’s obstetrics manual in his daily practice but the amended thought was “Suppose the cream of our therapeutics divested of all other matter, and culled from every available source, in so small a compass as to be pocketable.” The author has consulted more than 20 authorities like Guernsey, Leavitt, Jahr, Bell, Allen, King, etc. for this little compilation. As well as various journals like Homoeopathic journal of obstetrics, Hahnemannian monthly, etc. have been consulted.
The book (Repertory) is divided into 11 chapters as follow,
- Chapter I – Variations of Appetite-Gastroses-Enteric Diseases-Hepatic troubles.
- Chapter II – Thoracic, Cystic, Renal, Uterine, and Skin diseases
- Chapter III – Pains in various parts – Varicose veins
- Chapter IV – Sensory, nervous, and mental affections, vertigo and plethora, insomnia and neurosis
- Chapter V – Miscarriage and Abortion
- Chapter VI – The pains of labor. Rigid and contracted Uteri, and hour-glass contraction
- Chapter VII – Haemorrhage
- Chapter VIII – Fainting and exhaustion. Puerperal convulsions
- Chapter IX – Retained Placenta. Retention of Urine. After pains. Lochia. Abdominal soreness. Umbilical ulceration. Pendulous abdomen. Constipation and diarrhoea.
- Chapter X – Puerperal fever and peritonitis. Puerperal insanity. Milk leg. Pelvic cellulitis.
- Chapter XI – Miliary fever. Lacteal variations. Milk fever. Mastitis. Sore nipples. For miliaria.
- At the end of the book ERRATA is given followed by an alphabetical INDEX of clinical conditions.
PLAN & CONSTRUCTION
- GENERAL ARRANGEMENT –
- The peculiarity of the arrangement is that it is arranged in such manner that the chapters follow the compliant of 1st trimester to 3rd I. e. Arrangement of chapters follow the commencement of various complaints in each trimester.
- In some sub-sections at the starting few lines of introduction
- In some chapters grouping of medicines are given under various rubrics, while in some chapters characteristics symptoms of different medicines described in therapeutic manner. Some chapters contain both types of arrangements.
- At starting of each chapter, in the header all the sub-sections are written to locate out rubrics easily. Like Knerr’s original repertory.
- In the therapeutic portion author mentioned group of remedies to be compared under the headings like “First, compare”, “consult first” “Second, study also”.
- In the therapeutic portion characteristics symptoms of medicines have been written in “ITALICS”.
- At the end of therapeutic portion in various sub-sections author has mentioned guidelines regarding HYGIENE related to that particular sub-section.
- In some clinical conditions author has been divided the group of medicines into two parts by numbering them like 1 and 2. We can assume that by referring the first raw of medicines are more frequently prescribed and have more importance in that particular condition than the second raw of medicines.
- At various places author had put ‘*’, which denotes footnote given at the footer. In the footnote author gave instructions to compare different rubrics or therapeutic notes as well as he gave instructions to see the source (with page no.) from which it is collected.
- ARRANGEMENT OF CHAPTERS –
- All the chapters are arranged according to emergence of complaints in each trimester.
- ARRANGEMENT OF RUBRICS & SUB-RUBRICS –
- Not arranged in alphabetical manner.
- At some places sub-rubrics are numbered and at some places a, b, c like bullet is given. They are also not arranged in alphabetical manner.
- ARRANGEMENT OF MEDICINES –
- Medicines presented in repertory and therapeutic portion are arranged alphabetically.
- GRADATIONS –
- There is no gradation.
- ARRANGEMENT OF CROSS-REFERENCES –
- They are given into brackets after the completion of main rubric, as well as they are given in footnote with sign of ‘*’ as “See”.
LIST OF SHORT REPERTORIES PRESENT IN THIS WORK –
- Variations of appetite and taste
- Intestinal repertory (contains diarrhoea, constipation, types of stools, concomitant of stool)
- Urinary repertory
- Vertigo repertory
- Disorders of the affections, emotions and feelings
- Miscarriage and abortion
- Pains of labor
- Variation of lochia
- Lacteal variations
Conclusion: In this modern era of complex pathology and newly emerging syndrome complexes, it is essential and at time also difficult to treat patient with holistic approach. Old literatures with important clinical guidelines help us to manage different cases with vague manifestations. This book will help us in prescription as well as provide guidelines to improve case taking related to obstetrics.
Dr. Jaimin R. Chotaliya M.D. (Hom.)
Asst. Professor (Department of Repertory)
Swami Vivekanand Homoeopathic medical college and Hospital, Sidsar road, Bhavnagar. 364060