ABSTRACT– Thyroid dysfunctions are most common now a days especially in females than males. Systemic manifestation wise it produces many other conditions which needs of immediate care and prevention from going into severe pathogenicity. One among them being thyroid eye disease which occurs when the body’s immune system attacks the back of the eye causing inflammation, double vision and may even lead to blindness if left untreated. Therefore with the help of homoeopathic remedies we can correct the thyroid dysfunction and help in preventing the patient from going into thyroid eye disease (TED). Also the Bach flower remedies help in treating thyroid dysfunction along with homoeopathic medicines.
Keywords– Thyroid eye disease, symptoms, homeopathic remedies, Bach flower therapy.
Introduction- Definition- Thyroid eye disease is a syndrome of clinical and orbital imaging abnormalities caused by deposition of muco-polysaccharides and infiltration with chronic inflammatory cells of the orbital tissues, particularly the extra ocular muscles. It is occurring usually with autoimmune hyperthyroidism. It is also called as the GRAVE’S OPTHALMOPATHY.
Etiology – The etiology is unknown. The most common risk factors being Thyroid Dysfunction, Family history of Thyroid Eye Disease. Also Smoking is associated with severe TED.
Pathophysiology-Eyelid retraction with association with any of the follow: biochemical thyroid dysfunction, exophthalmos, optic neuropathy, or extraocular muscle involvement.
Signs and symtoms
- Soft tissue swelling and erythema.
- Eyelid retraction
- Lid lag, Episceral inflammation
- Von Graefe’s sign
- Conjunctival Chemosis
- Exposure keratopathy
- Optic nerve swelling
- Choroidal folds and restrictive myopathy
- SYMPTOMS – Pain in the eyes, photophobia, artificial tears, foreign body sensation, DIPLOPIA.
- Investigations – TSH, T3, T4, Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobulin levels and eye examination is necessary for confirming the diagnosis.
In autoimmune disease, the organism is depleted and the capacity to self-healing is gone. The body, in essence, is fighting itself, and energies are not focused in a restorative direction. Since thyroid dysfunction is major cause for thyroid eye disease, improving of thyroid functions of the patient becomes more necessary and then followed by symptomatical treatment.
- Hedera helix– A rare known plant remedy established by Mezger. Used in the affections of thyroid like hyperthyroidism, colloidal goiter, thyroiditis- hyperplastic, ligneous thyroiditis. Affections of eyes- cataract. There is Anxiety, Cardiac palpitations and insomnia. Morbid hunger, gastric cramps, extreme sensibility to catching cold and to chills. Menses reduced. Worse midnight; better- afternoon and evening, from fresh air, friction and massage.
- Calcarea carb– It has actions on the glands especially on pituitary and thyroid. Sensitive to light. Lachrymation in open air and early in morning. Spots and ulcers on cornea. Lachrymal ducts closed from exposure to cold. Easy fatigue of eyes. Far sighted. Itching of lids, swollen, scurfy. Chronic dilatation of pupils. Cataract. Dimness of vision, as if looking through a mist. Lachrymal fistula; scrofulous ophthalmia. Forgetful, confused low spirited person with fair, fat, flabby personality. Great sensitiveness to cold, partial sweats. Swallowing difficulty, goiter and palpitations at night. Night terrors, dreams of dead, ideas crowding in mind preventing her sleep. Worse from mental and physical exertion, during full moon, wet weather. Better by dry climate and sneezing.
- Natrum mur– Grief is always present. Effective for goiter, hyperthyroidism, Addison’s disease, diabetes. Eyelids heavy. Muscles weak and stiff. Letters run together. Sees sparks. Fiery, zigzag appearance around all objects. Burning in eyes. Give out on reading or writing. Stricture of lachrymal duct with suppuration. Escape of muco-pus when pressing upon sac. Lachrymation, burning and acrid. Lids swollen. Eyes appear wet with tears. Tears stream down face on coughing. Asthenopia due to insufficiency of internal recti muscles. Pain in eyes when looking down, Cataract. Wants to be alone to cry and tears with laughter. Sleepless from grief. Loss of smell and taste, hungry yet loses flesh. Menses irregular. Worse- mental exertion, consolation, noise, music. Better- open air, cold bathing, tight clothing, going without meals.
- Thyroidinum– Prepared from the dried thyroid gland of sheep. Used in cases of goiter with excess obesity. Progressive diminution of sight with central scotoma. Patients with paleness, amblyopia, uterine fibroid. Great weakness and hunger, yet loosing flesh. Marked sensitiveness to cold. There is hypothyroidism with weakness, easy fatigue, weak pulse, tendency to faint, palpitations, cold hand and feet, and also various types of edemas are present.
- Iodium– Suited to thin, dark complexed persons with enlarged lymphatic glands. Eats well, yet loses flesh. Violent lachrymation. Pain in eyes. Pupil dilated. Constant motion of eyeballs. Acute dacryocystitis. Great debility and perspires easily with slightest exertions. Acts well in case of goiter. Anxiety and depression are marked. Melancholy and suicidal tendency are present. Weakness and breathlessness feeling on going upstairs. Ravenous hunger and marked thirst. Cold hands and feet. Worse- warm room, better- walking in open air.
- Lycopodium clavatum– It is useful in patients with grauvogl’s nitrogenoid constitution. Symptoms characteristically run from right to left. Day-blindness. Night-blindness more characteristic. Sees only one-half of an object. Ulceration and redness of lids. Eyes half open during sleep. Physically weak, increased irritability, excessive hairfall. Craving for foods that are hot and sweet. Melancholy, afraid to be alone. Extremely sensitive. Offensive perspiration is present, especially axilla and feet. Worse- 4pm to 8pm, warmth, right side; better –motion, from getting cold, uncovering.
- Lachesis mutus– Defective vision, extrinsic muscles too weak to maintain focus. Sensation as if eyes were drawn together by cords which were tied in a knot at root of nose. Great loquacity, sadness in morning restless and uneasy persons. Jealous, suspiciousness is marked. Quinsy, septic parotiditis which is swollen internally and externally. Sensation as if something was swollen and must be swallowed. Craving for alcohol. Patient sleeps into aggravation. Cannot bear tight clothing around neck and waist. Worse- after sleep, hot drinks; better by- appearance of discharges, warm applications.
BACH FLOWER THERAPY:
It is necessary that along with balancing the physical side, even the mental imbalance of the thyroid dysfunction patient is to be balanced. The Bach flower remedies given by Dr.Edward Bach help in balancing the emotional side of the thyroid condition. Along with homeopathic remedies, some of these remedies which can be helpful are-
- Wild rose- It helps in combating depression and fatigue accompanying Hashimoto’s disease. They expect nothing and stay in a depressive mood. They are lack of emotional reactions, disregards one’s own desire and lack of motivation. Given 2 drops in water with regular intervals throughout day.
- Elm– They are confident people but at times feel burden in carrying out the things. Those who have temporary loss of confidence. Given 2 drops in water with regular intervals throughout day.
- Crab apple– It is said to be a cleansing remedy. People who dislike their appearance or personality or feel something unclean about them, this therapy can be helpful. They help in treating obsessive, repeative behavior such as hand washing etc. Given 2 drops in water with regular intervals throughout day, along with main remedy.
- Larch– In these people, there is lack of confidence in their ability to do things well, they will assume that they will fail and do not try. They have a feeling that they are not as competent as others. Given in a daily dose of 2 drops in water at regular intervals along with main remedy.
- Hornbeam- Suited to people who feel tired and exhausted before making effort. They are lazy and person is this state feels weary when he looks forward at the demands of the day. But when he tries to make effort, the weariness may fade away. Given 2 drops in water with regular intervals throughout day, along with main remedy.
- Others- Cherry plum, olive, Impatients, Vervain etc are also useful in treating the mental state in thyroid dysfunction.
CONCLUSION– Homoeopathic medicines are effective in autoimmune disorders as it has a prospective role of treatment in the auto immune disease as because our treatment is not only based on the disease symptoms alone but the person’s psychological and emotional symptoms are also taken care.
- McPhee SJ, Papadakis MA, Rabow MW, editors. Current medical diagnosis & treatment 2010. New York: McGraw-Hill Medical; 2010 Nov 5.
- Boericke’s new manual of homeopathic materia medica with repertory. William Boericke; ninth edition: B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd.
- Samuel L. Homoeopathic therapeutics. B. Jain publishers Pvt Ltd New Delhi. 2001.
- Julian OA. Materia medica of new homoeopathic remedies. South Asian edition 2007.Elsevier India private LTD; pg. 253-259.
- Cornelia B, Boedler CR. Applying Bach Flower Therapy to the Healing Profession of Homoeopathy. B. Jain Publishers; 2003.
- Your thyroid- personal growth and holistic wellness. Javier Ramon Britto. Avalaible from- https://www.personal-growth-can-be-fun.com
- Thyroid eye disease- https://www.verywellhealth.com
Dr Akshata Halladamal
Currently PG student (2017 Batch) in Department of Homeopathic Pharmacy
Father Muller Homeopathic medical college,Derlakatte, MANGALORE- 575018