Book Review on Beginner’s Guide to Homeopathy: Know-how of Common Ailments and their Homeopathic Management
Reviewed by Dr DH Mercy
Name of the book: Beginners’ Guide to Homeopathy
Name of the author: T. S. Iyer
Edition: Second Edition, 2007
Publisher: B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd.
Printer: J. J. Offset Printers
S. Iyer, is a mathematician and an economist who studied Hahnemann’s Law of Cure for nearly 40 years. He has devoted his life for the good of humanity. His aim was to popularize Homeopathy in South India.
This book by T. S. Iyer is dedicated to Dr. W. Younan, a veteran Hahnemannian Homeopath, through whom the author gained knowledge and experience of Homeopathy. The author has put down his experiences, method of approach in treatment of common ailments for the benefit of the newer generation of homoeopaths.
The book begins with the introductory part which includes
- Foreword to the First Edition- by Col. K. V. Ramana Rao
- Foreword to Second Edition- by Col. K. V. Ramana Rao
- Preface to First Edition- by T. S. Iyer
- Preface to Second Edition- T. S. Iyer
- List of Medicines- which are divided into
- Medicines most commonly used (eg. Aconite, Bryonia, Calcarea, Dulcamara, Euphrasia, Gelsemium, Hepar, Ipecac, Lycopodium, Mercurius, Nux vomica, Opium, Pulsatilla, Rhus tox, Sulphur, Veratrum alb
- Medicines less commonly used (eg. Aloes, Baptisia, Carbo veg, Hyoscyamus, Lachesis, Nitricum, Symphytum, Thuja
- Tinctures for External Use: Arnica Q, Apis Q, Hypericum Q, Cantharis Q, Calendula Q, Ruta Q
The proper part of the book is divided into 3 parts as follows:
It deals with the homeopathic introductory part where the Author talks about
- Synopsis of Organon
- Synopsis of Hahnemann’s Chronic diseases
- Hahnemann’s nosology
- Hahnemann’s philosophy
- Application of Homeopathy in the examination of the patient, selection of the remedy, single remedy, administration of medicines, hints on diet and regimen, restrictions during treatment & study of material medica
It contains the treatment for various diseases. This part is further divided into 33 chapters, which are as follows:
- Chapter I- Affections of the head: Giddiness, Vertigo, Headache & its types
- Chapter II- Diseases of the eyes: Sore eyes of infants, Opthalmia, Stye, Post-operative eye
- Chapter III-Affections of the ears: Mumps, Earache, Running ears, Hearing
- Chapter IV- Affections of the nose: Epistaxis
- Chapter V- Diseases of the organs of respiration: Catarrh, Cough, Croup, Bronchitis, Asthma, Whooping cough, Pleurisy, Pneumonia
- Chapter VI- Diseases of the heart
- Chapter VII- Blood pressure: Hypertension & Hypotension
- Chapter VIII- Affections of the throat: Sore throat, Tonsillitis, Diphtheria
- Chapter IX- Affections of the Teeth
- Chapter X- Affections of the mouth: Gumboil, Sore mouth, Inflammation of the tongue
- Chapter XI- Affections of the stomach and abdomen: Heartburn, Biliousness, Nausea, Vomiting, Sea sickness, Colic, Dyspepsia, Constipation, Hemorrhoids, Worms, Hernia, Diarrhoea, Dysentry, Cholera, Jaundice, Affections of liver, spleen, Urinary disorders
- Chapter XII- Diabetes mellitus & insipidus
- Chapter XIII- Diseases of the kidneys: Nephritis
- Chapter XIV- Typhlitis, Appendicitis
- Chapter XV- Cancer: Carcinoma of tongue, lips, esophagus, stomach, intestines, rectum, breast, womb
- Chapter XVI- Fevers: ordinary, influenza, measles, chicken pox, small-pox, ague, typhoid, rheumatic fever, gastric & bilious, filarial
- Chapter XVII- Diseases of women: delayed menstruation, suppressed menses, menorrhagia, dysmenorrhea, scanty menses, change of life- cessation of menses, prolapse uterus, leucorrhoea
- Chapter XVIII- Derangements during pregnancy: morning sickness, hysterical fits, cramps, varicose veins etc and Influence of existing diseases upon pregnancy with prophylaxis, miscarriage, abortion, easy delivery, false pains.
- Chapter XIX- Treatment after delivery: after pains, milk fever, falling off of hair, sore nipples etc
- Chapter XX- Treatment of infants: antipsoric, ecchymosis, deformities, cyanosis, sore eyes, hiccough, constipation, diarrhea, teething, wetting bed, weaning etc.
- Chapter XXI- Diseases of children: rickets, scurvy, malnutrition, tuberculosis, severe urgent cases with collapse etc
- Chapter XXII- General dyscrasia and constitutional treatment: scrofulous, tuberculosis, glandular affections, diseases of bones etc
- Chapter XXIII- Diseases of the aged
- Chapter XXIV- Diseases of the brain and nervous system: inflammation of the brain, convulsions, hysteria, epilepsy, chorea.
- Chapter XXV- Paralysis
- Chapter XXVI- Anterior poliomyelitis
- Chapter XXVII- Neuritis
- Chapter XXVIII- Diseases of the skin: itching, itch, eczema, erysipelas, ringworm, carbuncle, warts, leucoderma
- Chapter XXIX- Some general diseases: rheumatism, lumbago, sciatica, sunstroke, vaccination etc
- Chapter XXX- Eternal injuries, burns, scalds: injuries, burns, scalds, stings etc
- Chapter XXXI- Consequences of spirituous liquor: bad effects of coffee, tea, drunkenness, tobacco, spices etc
- Chapter XXXII- Effects of injurious drugs in general use: opium, quinine, castor oil, mercury, lead, arsenic, iron etc
- Chapter XXXIII- Poisoning: gases, acids, alkaline poisons, metallic substances, vegetable poisons, bee sting, snake bite, bite of mad dogs.
- Appendix : with Therapeutic Index, Materia Medica (in brief), Glossary
Utility of the book:
This books clearly deals with the
- Symptoms of disease
- Selection of remedy
- Administration of remedy
- Prognosis of the disease
- This can be useful for female complaints of menstruation, ailments during and after pregnancy.
- This can be helpful for ailments of pediatric age group from newborn, infants to children
- It can be useful in cases of poisoning
Reference: Iyer. T. S, Beginner’s Guide to Homeopathy, Second Edition, B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd, 2006.
Dr. D. H. Mercy BHMS, M.D
Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology
A.M. Shaikh Homeopathic Medical College, Belagavi