Importance of Characteristic symptoms in Prescribing similimum
Dr.Sofiya Layakali Pathan, B.H.M.S,PG Scholar
Bharti vidyapeeth Homoeopathic Medical College, Pune
The Topic of study was “Importance of characteristic symptoms in prescribing similimum”.The study consist of two parts, theoretical and practical. First Theoretical part was completed by studying ,collecting and compiling the data by going through extensive literature and authentic information’s available regarding various concept according organon of medicine .In second practical part of the study 30 cases were treated according to the various criteria mentioned in the methodology. In the pilot study, I have study only 30 cases for which are presented this report here within this sample study, I have treated 30 cases and studies all the cases with depth and advised to take medicine by the respective patient. From the Reaction of patients I found that out of 30 studied cases 19 cases(66 %) showed Good Response,08 cases(28%) showed moderate response and 1 case (3%)mild response and 2 cases(3%) showed poor response. Thus from the study at the end I can say that I am gratified with acquaintance of our master Dr. Samuel Hahnemann and his stalwarts with their direction for prescription on source of characteristic indications is very helpful to understand the approach behind treating & supervision of acute & chronic phase of illness.
Keywords: Characteristic symptoms, Homoeopathy, Individualization.
In today’s homoeopathic world, homoeopathy is practiced in not the same methods but its Historic way is to prescribe on origin of distinctive indications and keynote. Characteristic symptoms: These indications are peculiar, unusual and unique are called the characteristics symptoms. It individualize patient by the characteristic symptom. Master Hahnemann defines it as further striking, outstanding uncommon and peculiar. Stuarts close says characteristic indications are the signs unusual to the separate Patient, slightly than the indications mutual to the illness.
EXAMPLES- A sudden rise of temperature after an contact with dry icy breeze with intense mental restlessness and burning unquenchable thirst –ACONITE.
MATERIALS AND METHODS
- Clinical Study: 30 cases both acute & chronic including both sexes and different ages have been studied. Case taking was done by using standard case format as per Homoeopathic principles
- Case Definition All cases is of any age group, both sexes have been treated by characteristics prescribing.
- Study design: Minimum 30 cases filling case definition, inclusion, exclusion criteria have been studied. Help of guide, researchers, different articles of different authors, journals, books have been studied.
- Inclusion Criteria:
- All the patients fulfilling case definition.
- All the participants giving with acute & chronic complaints.
- Patients of individually sexes and all ages
- Exclusion Criteria:
1) The patients not fulfilling case definition.
2) The patients who do not come for follow up.
- Criteria of assessment: This is decided under FOUR headings:
GOOD– More than75% relief of indications
MODERATE– 50-75% relief of indications.
MILD– 25- 50% relief of indications.
POOR– Less than 25 % relief of indications.
- As my topic “Importance of characteristic symptoms in prescribing similimum. My major intention was to understand characteristic symptoms of the case in selection of similimum. So I included all type of patient in study, I have tried to find out the characteristics and prescribed the remedy on the basis of such symptoms to reduce the suffering and improve the value of life of patient. Age wise incidence was high between the age group of 18-45years i.e. adult age group followed by 60-70years i.e. old age group and last 3-10 years i.e. child age group. Each accounted for 20, 5, 5 cases out of 30 respectively.
- Out of total 30 cases, 19 showed Good improvement, 8 cases showed moderate improvement, 1 case shows mild improvement and 2 cases show poor improvement.
- This study shows a noteworthy role of characteristic Prescription in treatment of diseases.
- After conducting the study on 30 patients I have arise to conclusion that when the remedy is prescribed after considering the characteristics of the case, the outcome is good improvement.
- During this entire process, I have found that repetition of drug is necessary in various potencies as per need of the case.
- While doing the study i have found that whatever facts regarding characteristic as mentioned by various authors are true and practically applicable.
- The target of case compelling was to individualize the patient and characteristic of circumstance made it easy. Dr. J.T Kent has said –
“You cannot individualize except you have that which characterizes”
- In all the cases, characteristic were used to find the similimum or small set of similar remedies but ultimately totality of indications decided the final selection.
I also observed that characteristic are not only present in chief complaints of patient but can likewise be originate out in personal history of patient.
Thus I conclude by saying that treatment arranged on characteristic indications in Homoeopathy has very good scope in management of diseases and the result of study remained good as patient showed good improvement under homoeopathic treatment.
- Organon of medicine – by Dr. S. Hahnemann, 6th edition (pg. 217-218, 224), Edition- reprint edition 2004, Total pages- 340 Publisher- B. Jain publisher, New Delhi.
- Principles of Prescribing – by Dr. K. N. Mathur (chapter 5, pg.99-125), Edition- reprint edition-2003, 06, 07, 08, Total pages-671, Publisher- B. Jain publisher, New Delhi.
- Hahnemann’s Organon of Medicine- by Dr. B. K. Sarkar (pg.399-404), Edition-9th revised edition 2003-04, Total pages- 679, Published by- Birla Publication, 1/9185 west Rohtas nagar, Delhi-110032.
- The Genius of Homoeopathy- By Stuart Close (Chapter 11- Symptomatology, Pg. 156-163), Edition- 1st Indian edition 1979, Total pages- 280, Publisher- B. Jain Publisher, New Delhi.
- WWW. HOMOEOTIMES.COM
Be the first to comment