There are 659 homoeopathic dispensaries, 14 District hospitals, 17 Taluk hospitals, 2 ten-bedded hospitals and one hospital with total bed strength of 100 under Homoeopathy Department in the State. In addition, Kerala State Homoeopathic Co-operative Pharmacy (HOMCO) Alappuzha, a medicine manufacturing unit is also functioning under the Directorate of Homoeopathy. HOMCO is running in profit for the last 20 years. District-wise distribution of institutions, beds and patients treated under Homoeopathic Department in 2016 and 2017 is given in Appendix 4.2.13.
Major Achievements of Homoeopathy Department in 2016-17 and 2017-18
- One Homoeo dispensary in each district was upgraded as model dispensary.
- Clinical lab was set up in Government Homoeo Hospital Kayamkulam.
- Pain and palliative care unit was started in all District Homoeo hospitals.
- AYUSH Holistic centres for prevention and management of lifestyle diseases were started in Thiruvananthapuram, Kollam, Ernakulam, Malapuram and Kozhikkode integrating the merits of Homoeopathy, Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy systems of medicine.
- Seethalayam is a gender based scheme for the multi-level support, welfare and health care service exclusively for the suffering women folk implemented in all District Homoeo Hospitals. De-addiction centres and infertility clinics are also functioning as part of this programme.
- Floating Homoeo Dispensaries were started in the coastal area of Kuttanad in Alappuzha District.
- Endocrine disorder care centre at Idukki, Mother and Child care centre at Kannur, Geriatric care centres at Alappuzha, Kollam, Kozhikkode, Kottayam and Wayanad and speciality mobile clinic at Idukki were started under the scheme “Homoeopathy Speciality Care Centres.”
- 16 Temporary Homoeo Dispensaries were started at various pilgrim centres during festival season.
- 14 Homoeo Dispensaries (one Dispensary in each district) were upgraded as Model Homoeo Dispensaries and existing 56 Model Homoeo Dispensaries across the State were standardised.
- One clinical lab was set up in Government Homoeo Hospital, Pala.
- Regional Medical Stores were started in Kottayam, Malappuram and Kannur
- Adolescent Health Care and Behavioural Management Programme was implemented in all District Homoeo hospitals.
- Second phase expansion of HOMCO was initiated.
Homoeo Medical Education
Homoeo Medical Education is imparted through two Government Homoeopathic Medical Colleges, at Thiruvananthapuram and Kozhikode. In addition to this, 3 aided colleges and one unaided college are functioning under this Department. Total bed strength of the Government Homoeopathic Medical College at Thiruvananthapuram is 118 and the patient treated in 2016-17 in IP was 1,192 and OP was 114,215. Total bed strength of the Government Homoeopathic Medical College at Kozhikode is 100 and the patient treated during 2016-17 in IP was 1678 and OP was 155,903. Annual intake of students and courses in the six Homoeo Medical Colleges are given in Appendix 4.2.14.
The number of OP patients increased from 1,18,39811 to 2,28,52677 but IP patients reduced from 53442 t0 48553 – comparing to previous report.