Magnesium: journey from metal to medicine in Homoeopathy
Dr. Tushar Acharya1, Dr. Alpana Verma2, Dr. Neelima Singh2
- Associate Professor. Department of Materia Medica, Dr. MPK Homoeopathic Medical College Hospital & Research Centre (Constituent college of Homoeopathy University), Saipura, Sanganer, Jaipur. (Rajasthan.)
- PG Scholar Department of Materia Medica, Dr. MPK Homoeopathic Medical College Hospital & Research Centre (Constituent college of Homoeopathy University), Saipura, Sanganer , Jaipur. (Rajasthan.
Abstract: Magnesium’s chemical symbol is Mg. It belongs to the group of elements called: Alkaline Earth Metals. It also takes part in duplication of RNA and DNA and thus in heredity. It also activates many of the enzymes that speed up chemical reactions in the human body.
Key Words: Homoeopathy, magnesia, alkaline earth metal, medicine, trituration.
Magnesium is the ninth most abundant element in the universe. It is the third most abundant element dissolved in seawater, after sodium and chlorine. In the human body, magnesium is the essential component of each & every cell especially in muscles, nervous tissue, Cerebrospinal fluid and serum. It is interesting to discover how metal magnesia which is found in natural form on the earth gets converted into dynamic form of magnesium by trituration method and used in homoeopathy as a medicine -a journey from alkaline earth metal to a wonderful medicine.
REVIEW OF LITERATURE:
Magnesium is a chemical element with symbol Mg and atomic number 12. Magnesium is a silver-white metal best known for its lightness. It is bears a close physical resemblance to the other five elements in the second column (Group 2, or alkaline earth metals) of the periodic table: all Group 2 elements have the same electron configuration in the outer electron shell and a similar crystal structure. Magnesium is the lightest metal that is strong enough for use in construction.
In CSF, the magnesium content is higher than that of the serum. The careful balance between ions of calcium and magnesium in the blood is also important for nerve impulse transmission & nervous communication in the human body. Nerve impulse conduction is often increased by low levels of magnesium in the body fluids, as this situation results in the speeding up of nerve impulses – thus low levels of magnesium can directly increase muscular irritability and contractibility in the body. Physical symptoms such as persistent muscle tremors, uncontrolled movements in hands & face, as well as convulsions can often affect the person if there is a severe deficiency of magnesium in the body.
An imbalance in the metabolism of calcium can also result during a magnesium deficiency, with the consequent deposition of the mineral in the soft tissues of the body. There are other long term effects of persistent magnesium deficiency which include degeneration of the kidneys & renal tissues, degeneration of skeletal & cardiac muscle, as well as degeneration of endocardium, skin and teeth. Magnesium deficiency can also directly affect the blood levels of other ions like calcium & potassium and level of these ions in the body is often depressed.
Remedies of family
|| 7. Mag fluor.
8. Mag formicum.
9. Mag gluconicum.
10. Mag hydroxydum.
11. Mag hypophos.
12. Mag iod.
| 13. Mag nitricum.
14. Mag salicyclicum.
15. Mag silicatum.
16. Mag carb.
17. Mag muriaticum.
18. Mag phos.
Main theme of group II elements is, there is need for support, dependence and desire for security. Magnesium has feeling of an orphan. Magnesium has emotional insecurity at their core. Magnesium insecurity is due to unpleasant childhood may be because of parental quarrels, parental separation, low attention by parents, orphans (unwanted child); the magnesium is indicated in an unprotected child who has a feeling of being rejected, so magnesium has emotional insecurity which is because of being unprotected or uncared in childhood.
Abandonment, insecurity, neglected feeling, neuralgias and sensitivity chiefly runs in magnesium group. It has profound action on liver, muscles, GIT, sexual organs, right side. Most of the medicines of magnesium group are not well proved hence needs further proving and should be used judiciously and carefully on homoeopathic principles.
- Bernath, P. F.; Black, J. H. & Brault, J. W. (1985). “The spectrum of magnesium hydride” (PDF). Astrophysical Journal. 298: 375.
- Boericke William. Pocket Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica (9th Edition).New Delhi. B.Jain publishers. 1994
- Kent J.T. Lectures on Homoeopathic Materia Medica, Medica with New Remedies. New Delhi. B.Jain publishers.2003.
- Nash E.B. Leaders in Homoeopathic Therapeutics. 2006
- Tyler M.L. Drug Pictures of Homeopathic Materia Medica. New Delhi. B.Jain.Publishers. 1992
- Scholten Jan. Homoeopathy and Minerals .Mumbai. Homoeopathic Medical Publishes Santacruz.1997
- Patil J.D. Group Study in Homoeopathic Materia Medica New Delhi. B.Jain.Publishers. 2007