Dr Jalpa P Atri
Homoeopathic medicines are prepared from various sources like Vegetable, Animal, Mineral, Nosodes and Sarcodes etc. among all this sources mineral kingdom secures a good place with its deeper healing powers. Many literatures regarding mineral kingdom medicines are present in our homeopathic world but there are some interesting and precious books which need our attention. Among those books, Text Book of Homoeopathic Materia Medica by Otto Leeser is a good source to gain knowledge about remedies from mineral kingdom.
Keywords: Mineral Kingdom, Homoeopathy, different Groups
Title: German: Lehrbuch der Homoöpathie, Spezieller Teil; Arzneimittellehre, A: Die mineralischen Arzneimittel
English: Text Book of Homoeopathic Materia Medica by Otto Leeser (textbook of homeopathic materia medica A study of Mineral Kingdom by Otto Leeser (Ph. d. M.D.), Translated by Linn. J. Boyd
Author: Otto Leeser
Translator: Linn. J. Boyd
Publisher: B. Jain Publishers Pvt Ltd. For Available English Edition
Pages: 987 pages
Name: Dr. Otto Leeser
Life span and writing: (1)
Life span: 1-7-1888 • 11-9-1964.
Work and other writing: Re-established the Robert Bosch Homeopathic Hospital in Germany, Grundlagen der Heilkunde. (Dr. Wm. Gutman’s view about author otto Leeser – “He was one of those rare human beings—fortunately not too rare among homeopaths—who devoted his whole life enthusiastically to homeopathy.”)
Construction about Book: (2)
- Forward by Dr. Otto Leeser
- Translator’s Note by Dr. Linn J. Boyd
- The Meaning of Homeopathic Materia Medica
- Constitution and Constitutional Remedies
- The Mineral Medicinal Substances
Forward By Otto Leeser:
In the forward by Dr. Otto Leeser, he mentioned about his idea of homeopathic materia medica in Scientific aspect and his writing’s first part i.e. Fundamentals of Therapeutics. His extensive search and accuracy towards books are really attractive one to Homeopathic Physicians. So, here following are his words in forward,
This part will be uniform even though it was started at the time the first edition of my “Fundamentals of Therapeutics” appeared. For ten years the work has developed together with my medical activities. The essential thoughts were communicated first at the meeting of the German Central Society of Homeopathic Physicians at Bonn, in 1925, and in greater detail at the international postgraduate medical courses at the Stuttgart Homeopathic Hospital, 1926, 1928, 1930. I would have preferred to postpone the publication even longer in order to more thoroughly elaborate the factual material which is very extensive and which is constantly increasing. Yet there finally seemed to me a more urgent necessity in that this book might bring enlightenment in a difficult but practical and important study. I am deeply indebted to my friend, Dr. H. Göhrum, of Stuttgart, for his assistance in reading the proof. OTTO LEESER Stuttgart, December, 1932.
Translator’s note by Linn J. Boyd:
In this note, Boyd mentioned about original name of this book with a special thank to author, publishers and all who helped him in this work. His transparency and accuracy about work are presented with his following words.
An attempt has been made to provide an accurate translation. To this end Germanic phraseology and sentence construction is often retained, whereby the reader may remain conscious of the origin of the work. Believing that the task of a translator is the correct representation of the author, I have not interrupted the text by comments which would reflect my attitude on many interesting questions raised by the author. LINN J. BOYD, M.D. New York September, 1935.
Now the following parts reflect author’s Scientific Mindset about Homeopathy and Homeopathic Materia Medica. His keen observations and analytical skills are reflected through following matter. Detailed data regarding experiments and their relation with Homeopathy, Development of Materia Medica are worthy to study.
He mentioned about the “The meaning of homeopathic materia medica” in following different heading:
- Experimental pharmacology and practical therapeutics
- Experimental therapy
- Walbum’s stimulation therapy
- The homeopathic method as a necessary supplement
- “humanization” of the Materia Medica
- Transference of medicinal effect from the healthy to the sick
- The scientific nature of Materia Medica
- Development of the Homeopathic Materia Medica
- Arrangement of drug symptoms and their criteria
- Therapeutic confirmation
- Empiric additions
- State of Materia Medica
Another important matter regarding constitution and constitutional remedies, Psoric theory, Modalities and genus epidemicus along with other concepts like Schussler and Rademacher’s concepts are presented in very elusive way.
- Homeopathic constitution therapy
- Union of drug actions and constitutional types
- History of the homeopathic constitution doctrine
- The Psora theory
- Antipsoric drugs as constitutional drugs
- Rademacher’s three universal remedies
- Genius Epidemicus and Modalities
- Grauvogl’s constitutional types
- New Conception of Constitution
- Constitutional substances of various ranks
- SchÜssler’s biochemic therapy
- Possibility of action of substances natural to the body
- Superiority of observations over theory in the Doctrine of Constitution
Author has given a good preliminary introduction about minerals in detail which were discussed under different headings.
Introduction and survey, The periodic system of elements, Chemical valences, Group division, Ions, Cosmic frequency of the elements, Geochemic distribution law, The structural elements in the organism, Fundamental elements, Water, Oxygen , Hydrogen and hydrogen ion concentration, Buffering, Carbon, Nitrogen, The metabolic or combustion elements, The tonic elements, Ion antagonism, Colloidal action of ions, Chlorine, Silicium and the rare structural materials, Constitutional agents and structural elements, Natural and foreign elements in the seven chief groups, The relationships in the accessory groups, Heavy metal catalysis, Modifications and compounds of the elements.
Above all headings contain valuable information regarding their respective spheres.
Dr. Otto mentioned about arrangement in following way:
Finally the periodic system of elements is not a simple series but a system of groups. For this reason it is somewhat arbitrary with which group we begin. If we begin with Group I, then it would not be so suitable if we discuss schematically the groups according to the series. It is much better after discussing Groups I and II which contain the essential cation formers, to go over to Groups VII, VI, and V which contain the chief anion formers. In this way we obtain more rapidly a survey of the electrolytes whose constituents have the least independence and require an opposite supplementation. We find a common basis of explanation for these compounds in the theory of ions. After the short third group, then the amphoteric Group IV follows in which the analysis of actions leads to colloid chemical considerations. A few lower carbon derivatives form an appendix to this. Finally will the accessory groups as a composite class be discussed after the above represented mutual and arranging viewpoint is presented?
Groups and their respective Medicine list:
- The Group of Alkalies- Potassium, Sodium, Lithium, Ammonium compounds.
- The Group of Earthy Alkalies- Magnesium, Calcium, Strontium, Barium
- Halogen Group- Iodine, Bromine, Chlorine, Fluorine
- Sulphur Group- Sulphur, Hepar Sulphur, Sulphuricum Acidum , Natrium Sulphuricum, Kalium Sulphuricum, Selenium Metallicum, Tellurium Metallicum.
- Nitrogen Group- Nitrites and Nitrates, Phoshporus, Arsenic, Antimony, Bismuth
- Bor-aluminium Group- Aluminium, Boron
- Carbon Group- Silicium, Carbon
- Additional Group (Heavy Metals) – Iron, Cobalt, Osmium, Iridium, Palladium, Platinum, Manganese, Chromium, Vanadium, Copper, Silver, Gold, Zinc, Cadmium, Mercury, Thallium, Lead, Tin.
- Appendix-Radio-active Group
Conclusion given by author of book: Dr. Otto Leeser concludes his writing with a small note that suggests the scope of new proving in mineral substances.
“Let us cast a glance back over the doctrine of the mineral medicinal substances! We have considered only a part of the elements existing in the cosmos and a still smaller part of their compounds. The gaps in our knowledge regarding the use of many substances for curative purposes are still great. But the refinement of experimental methodology which homoeopathy brings to therapeutics shows, however, that many substances can be estimated in an entirely new, different and much broader extent as internal remedies and at the same time gives the factual material some finish. In both respects it can certainly be shaped better by others and in the future.”
Conclusion: Our Homeopathic Literature is Genuine Guide for Homeopathic Physicians. It’s our privilege to be blessed with all these hard working pioneers of homeopathy. These type of books help us to gain knowledge and as well as to prepare firm foundation of Homoeopathic Practice. Review of this book is prepared with intent to help those students and Physicians who are constantly put efforts to improve their Basic Skills.
1) Yasgur Jay, Yasgur’s Homeopathic Dictionary & holistic health reference, Van Hoy Publishers; 4th edition (1 June 1998)
2) Boyd. J. Linn, Text Book of Homeopathic Materia Medica by Otto Leeser, New Delhi; B. Jain Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
Dr. Jalpa P. Atri (M.D. Part-II)
Department of Homeopathic Materia Medica
Dr. V.H. Dave Homoeopathic Medical College and Research Center,
Hahnemann house, Amul Dairy Road, Anand, Gujarat. 388001