Dr Nandha Subbian L.R.
Temperament is psychological and biological organization peculiar to an individual including one’s character or personality or predisposition which influences the manner of thoughts, action and general view of life. In this study, each of the temperaments is described in detail with categorization the various rubrics from chapter mind of Dr Kent’s Repertory of Homoeopathic Materia medica and the practical utility in understanding the importance of temperaments in arriving at the similimum.
KEY WORDS: Homoeopathic temperaments, Dr.Kent’s repertory, rubrics.
- Define temperaments in homoeopathy
- Different types of temperaments
- List the characteristic features of various types of temperament
- Classify the rubrics of mind chapter of Kent’s repertory of homoeopathic Materia medica under various types of temperaments
- Understanding the practical utility of the temperament in Homoeopathy
Temperaments are our patterns of behaviour, the way we usually respond to certain situations. It is also defined as a person’s nature, ones usual way of thinking or acting. In case taking the physical data can be easily elicited, but problem arises in understanding the mental makeup of the patient. In such cases the knowledge of temperaments can be used as a tool to understand the mentals better.
Temperaments are instinctive natural behaviours, rather than learned behaviours. Our temperaments take from according to our genetic material. Temperament is our inborn, God given nature. Temperament remains constant throughout our life. Temperament is different from one person to another person. Personality is something which can be changed, developed or enhanced. It is this aspect of Personality concerned with emotional dispositions and Reactions. No temperament type is good or bad. Each temperament has its own set of strength and weakness. With the similimum, the weakness can be diminished.
Types of temperament
The sanguine temperament, the one with kind word and easy smile. He is rightly called as people’s person. Of the four temperaments, the sanguine is the most positive. They are extroverted , optimistic and talker.
- Extremely happy by nature and openly emotional
- Wants to capture every possible enjoyment in life.(Restless and dissatisfied due to this desire)
- Never feels that life is boring.
- Does not spend time by thinking about tomorrow
- In sad circumstances she is able to express her sympathy fully in a way that others would find comforting – most sympathetic type
- Easily demonstrates her own feelings and experiences others
- When people are rude to her it upsets her but she quickly forgets an insult or offense ,it does not continue to bother her nor does it affect her future relationship with that person
- Does not think about her goals in life because she is so much involved with the present –forget tomorrow ,the excitement is today
- Has no problem making decisions ,but has great difficulty taking positive action –great beginners , bad finishers
- Does not like people whose lives and schedules are so planned.
- She enjoys giving suggestions and helping people with their problem
- She will enjoy with people and accept them as they are
- Today’s problem may upset her a bit but she does not worry about tomorrow
- Look for fun and games
- Love to laugh
- May not have more talent but always seems to have more fun
- Possess a good sense of humour
- Can hold an audience
- Feels so good about receiving compliment
- Ready for any activity
- They are self composed ,seldom shows signs of embarrassment
- Eager to express himself before a group ;likes to be heard
- Prefers group activities: work or play; not easily satisfied with individual projects
- Seeks broad range of friendship is not selective is the jack of all trades and master of none.
- Elation of spirit
- Makes adjustments easily, welcomes changes.
- Impetuous and impulsive; his decisions are often wrong.
AS A FRIEND
- People’s person
- They thrive on compliments
- Neither faithful nor loyal as friends
- No commitments
- Has millions of friends and enjoys them all ,calls them all as her best friends and close confidants
- Wins friend easily and effortlessly because she is very affectionate and pleasant
- She rarely thinks about a friend who is away from her
- When she loses one friend she soon finds another one.
AS A PARENT
- They make living as fun at home
- They enjoy the company of friends of their children
- They have the knack of turning a disaster into a funny situation.
- Happy go lucky people
- Social butter flies
- Self complacency
- Envy and jealous
- Inclination to flirtation
PREDOMINANT REMEDIES : Ferrum, Phosphorous, Lachesis, hyoscyamus, Belladonna, Coffea
Choleric temperaments are typically goal oriented and ambitious. As a result, many of them are natural born leaders. However, they can also be short tempered even violent due to the nature of their personality. They are extroverted, optimistic and doer.
- Has a lot of drive
- Struggles with his surroundings because of the constant drive within him to change existing conditions out of boredom.
- Will power and decision making ability are better developed in this type of person than in others
- Thinking is clear but can be influenced by the urge to do something or get something done there is no reverse gear in his car.
- He can grasp a situation instantly and see at once what has to be done ,then does it
- He enjoys making decisions and deliberately puts himself in that position. Although he does not want others to make decisions for him.
- He is interested in worldly matters and philosophies, especially when they relate to his business.
- Problems are not worries but rather challenges
- He is busy with his own projects to give advice to others, but if he does ,he expects it to be followed ,if not don’t come back for more
- His time is too valuable to waste on those who don’t appreciate it
- He considers failure as shame.
- He has very clearly defined goals in sight and seems to know instinctively the best path to reach them.
- His rule : “Do it my way, Now”
- Very diplomatic and work done at any cost
- In born leadership quality
- They are born leaders
- Demand production and high output from colleague
- Leader of the family, want total control over themselves
- Extrovert, Optimistic
- Authoritative, Dominating
- Dynamic persons with big dreams and aim to reach them.
- Good decision makers
AS A FRIEND
- They have little need for friends
- Self centred people
- Indirectly rejects peoples love and affection
- If a friend is suffering, he would not say much or not feel the sorrow too deeply.
- But he would find something he could do to show his sympathy through actions rather than words.
- He would also encourage them to go on ,using logical arguments
- Independent and self sufficient ,which keeps him from having close friendships
- Most of his friends come from business or work
- He don’t consider people who are lazy ,dumb , superficial as his friends
- His friendships change from circumstances
- He is usually only interested in people with whom he is working on a goal, sport or project.
- Feels he is too busy to acknowledge others, does not want to waste time on idle chitchat or spending time with others .
- People who are slow or can’t make up their mind irritate him.
AS A PARENT
- Leaders of the family
- No attachment
- They want total control over family and themselves
- Exerts sound leadership
- Establishes Goals
- Motivates family to action
- Knows the right answer
- Organizes household
- Tends to over dominate Too busy for family
- Gives answers too quickly
- Impatient with poor performance
- Won’t let children relax
- May send them into depression
- Born leader
- Independent and self sufficient Dynamic and active
- Must correct wrongs
- Strong-willed and decisive Not easily discouraged
- Exudes confidence
- Bossing others
- Enjoys controversy and arguments
- Is unsympathetic
- Won’t give up when loosing
- Too impetuous
- Can’t Relax
PREDOMINANT REMEDIES : Lycopodium, veratrum album, nux vomica, bryonia.
Melancholic is often referred to as the black or dark temperament. The most gifted, emotional and sensitive person with the deepest depression all wrapped into one package is the melancholic. They are introverted, pessimistic and thinker.
- Dedicated to order and organization
- Appreciative of beauty
- They will not forget anything bad that has happened to them and just cannot get over it.
- Very sensitive to others and very considerate
- Work : well planned , dedication and passion
- Romanticism lies more in thoughts
- Wants to complete the things she starts
- Setbacks and failures discourage her
- Often feels unable to cope up with life’s problems
- Fear of failure
- Failures are often the results of her unrealistically high standards for herself.
- DEEP EMOTIONS and ability to think deeply
- She feels insults deeply ,oversensitive ,easily Offended
- She finds it hard to forget and stop brooding over it (persisting thoughts)
- Most of the time an offense will permanently affect her relationship with that person
- In sad events ,can express her sympathy better by writing a note rather than by using spoken words to convey the depth of her sorrow felt in heart
- Too reserved to express her feelings publicaly , but she tells several people privately
- Hates to get involved in because she is afraid to hurt people or make the situation worse
AS A FRIEND
- Always has a few close friends who mean the world to her
- She does not make friends easily but she is exceptionally loyal once she does
- She maintains friends over the years and when she looses one,it leaves an empty spot in her heart
- Does not like people who are shallow or superficial
- Prefers serious conversation about subject that stimulate her.
- Loyal and faithful friends ,true to their word
- If they make promise ,they will keep it
- Keep secrets till his grave
- They have a deep concern for others
- They are excellent counsellors
- They are selective about whom they are socialize with
- Self sacrificing for the people whom they are close to
AS A PARENT
- Family oriented, can sacrifice anything for the family
- They set high standards for their children
- They encourage talent of their children
- They are family oriented ,very much attached to their family
- They can be exclusive ,quiet people who never talk to son or daughter
- They are emotionally guarded people
- Serious and purposeful
- Genius prone
- Talented and creative
- Artistic or musical
- Philosophical and poetic
- Appreciative of beauty
- Sensitive to others
- Remembers the negatives
- Moody and depressed
- Has false humility
- Off in another world
- Low self-image
- Has selective hearing
- Too introspective
- Guilt feelings
- Tends to hypochondria
- Suicidal tendency
- Absorbed in thoughts
PREDOMINANT REMEDIES : Natrum muriaticum, Ignatia, Auru metallicum, Arsenicum album, Carcinosinum.
This temperament goes through life doing as little as possible, quietly and expending little energy. They are friendly, patient, contented and peaceful people rightly known as “couch potatoes”. They are introverted, pessimistic and watcher.
- Patient, peaceful, passive.
- Slow paced, stubborn, slow moving.
- Calm, easy going.
- Consistent with life & well balanced.
- Works as little as possible
- Only sleep can regenerate a phlegmatic
- They don’t cause troubles, they easily get along with others and they don’t have any enemies
- Contented and peaceful
- Passive and slow moving
- Very late to reach work
- Prefers to avoid conflicts and hence is peaceful and agreeable with his boss
- Peace at all cost
- Good listener
- The mind of phlegmatic person is only weakly or not at all touched by impressions.
- The reaction is feeble or entirely missing.
- Eventual impressions fade away very soon
AS A FRIEND
- No fear of rejection& can handle unaffectionate / hostile people.
- Their cool, complacent attitude can hurt people who love them.
- Unwilling to become involved in deep relationships.
AS A PARENT
- Family oriented.
- Easy going laid back parents..
- Not in hurry to make decisions.
- Least or no expectations from their children.
- Easygoing and relaxed
- Nothing ruffles their feathers
- Calm, cool and collected
- Patient well balanced
- Consistent life
- Quiet but witty
- Sympathetic and kind
- Keeps emotions hidden
- Happily reconciled to life
- All-purpose person
- Fearful and worried
- Avoids responsibility
- Quiet will of iron
- Too shy and reticent
- Too compromising
PREDOMINANT REMEDIES : Calcarea carbonica, Baryta carbonica, Pulsatilla,Cyclamen, Sepia.
The nervous temperament is generally worried about day to day issues and treats every problem like a matter of life and death.
- Great confusion, want of self confidence
- Highly impatient
- Absolute hypochondriacs
- Highly apprehensive & worried
- Lack of self confidence
- Always worried
- Fearful , uncertain & cautious
- Constantly wants support
- Easily confused & dread of everything
- Difficult to trust anyone
AS A FRIEND
- Worry about small matters
- Always recommends doctor who they have faith in
- Notorious back seat drivers
- Perfect killjoys
AS A PARENT
- Gives utmost care for the health of the family members
- Always thinking child and its needs
- Plans everything beforehand
- foreseeing and far sighed
- Anxious before children’s exams
- Edgy about very trivial matters
- Maintains palpable anxiety at home for routine events
- Do not allow children to exercise their freedom
- Punctual with appointments
- Good planners
- Always well prepared before presentation
- Very alert while approaching any problem
- If they are encouraged they can be good speakers
- Tremendous anxiety
- They perform by their fears instead of their capabilities
- Very pessimistic in their approach
- Extremely cautious
- Excessively obsessed with health
PREDOMINANT REMEDIES : Argentums nitricum, Gelsemium, Arsenicum album, Acteae racemosa, Agaricus muscurius
TEMPERAMENTS IN DIFFERENT REPERTORIES:
- Knerr’s repertory – chapter – Stages of life & Constitutions
- Complete repertory – chapter – Mind
- Robin Murphy repertory – chapter – Constitution
- Lippe’s repertory – chapter – Generalities, aggravation & amelioration
- J H Clarkes repertory –Temperament section
- Kent’s repertory –Generalities chapter, Mind chapter
- BBCR repertory –Sensation and complaints chapter
CATEGORISATION OF MIND RUBRICS OF KENTS REPERTORY ACCORDING TO KENTS REPERTORY OF HOMOEOPATHICMATERIA MEDICA
Sit aversion to
contradiction disposed to
Contradiction intolerant of
Moral feeling want off
power love off
Absorbed buried in thoughts
Sit inclination to
Weary of life
Confusion of mind
Mortification ailments from
Anticipation, complaints from
Conscientious about trifles
Plans making many
- Individual persons generally manifest a combination of the characteristics of several temperaments
- Whenever there are several elements combined in any composite, however, one or another will usually predominate at any given time.
- In the matter of temperament we find that, although persons are usually a composite of many characteristics, one or another characteristic will specify the temperament.
- The Knowledge of Temperaments is vital for: Understanding the Patient and the portrait of Medicine, for constructing the Totality of the case, Selecting a Similimum and establishing an ideal Cure.
Temperament is an inborn nature and tendency of an individual. It plays an important role in selecting the similimum. No temperament type is good or bad. Each temperament has its own Strengths and Weaknesses. With the prescription of the Similimum the weaknesses can be diminished. The Red strand is that Temperament is the Inner Core of the Man. By knowing the temperament of a person we can consider the Man as a whole. Hence assessment of Temperaments is of highest priority in the choice of Similimum. It is this concept which helps in forming the totality of individual, henceforth helping in establishing Complete Cure.
- Schepper luc de. Hahnemannian text book of classical homoeopathy for professional. New delhi.B jain publishers.
- Dr.Humranwala parinaz.Temperament types-A study. 2nd edition. Mumbai. Nina foundation.2005
- Roberts H.A.the principles and art of cure by homoeopathy ,Indian journal of homoeopathic sciences ,Dr. Yashika arora 2018;2(3)
- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four temperaments
Dr Nandha Subbian L.R.
PG scholar MD part 2
Department of Case taking and Repertory