Dr Vinuta Yathiswarappa G
ABSTRACT: This article includes a detailed study of the fundamental principles of homoeopathy- the origin, history, description, perspective of other philosophers.
KEY WORDS: Principles, Similia, Similar, Simplex, Minimum, vital force, Dynamisation, Chronic, Miasms, history, evolution.
EVOLUTION OF HOMOEOPATHIC PRINCIPLES
- 1796 – law of similars “an essay on new principles for ascertaining the curative powers of drugs & some examinations of previous principles”
- 1797 – law of simplex, law of minimum “ are the obstacles to the attainment of simplicity & certainity in practical medicine insurmountable”
- 1801 – law of drug dynamisation “ the cure & prevention of scarlet fever”
- 1805 – doctrine of drug proving “fragmenta de viribus medicamentorum positivis”
- 1814 – theory of chronic diseases
- 1833 – the theory of vital force “fifth edition of organon”.
THE LAW OF SIMILARS – “SIMILIA SIMILIUS CURENTUR”
INTRODUCTION: The Law of Similia is the basic foundation of homoeopathic system of medicine, word meaning “HOMOEOS – similar & PATHOES – suffering”, derived from Greek.
HISTORY: Although origin of the law is not known, traces have been found in other systems of medicine & many of the philosophers & physicians before Hahnemann could formulate the law have spoken about the similar cures.
- AYURVEDA :This is the Ancient Indian system of medicine consisting of two methods of treatment
- VIPAREETHA CHIKITSA – The principle being the opposites where the treatment is opposite to the cause or effect or cause effect of the disease.
- THADHARTHAKARI CHIKITSA – THADHA – ARTHAKARI which means “same meaning” further divided as:
- Hethu Thadharthakari – similar cause or something which produces similar cause.
- Vyadi Thadharthakari – similar effect or something which produces similar effect.
- Hethuvyadi Thadharthakari – something which produces both similar cause and effect respectively used for treatment
- HIPPOCRATES : Hippocrates regarded as the father of medicine, where he claims that, the drugs selected on the basis of similars is useful in practice, and he practiced both on similar as well as opposite principles.
- PARACELSUS: The father of Anesthesia did not agree with the principle of Contraria & also emphasized on the principle of Similars & Doctrine of signature. E.g. : yellow remedy to treat Jaundice.
- GALEN: Divided the diseases into three classes among them one was –those affecting similar parts or similar tissue & nerves.
- PHYSICIANS & PHILOSOPHERS : Many of the physicians like Xenocrates, Nicander, Varro, Quintus, Serenus, Paracelsus, Roman school physicians, Basil, Valentine ,Benedictines monk of Erfurt ,Galen , Aristotle many more have said about the cures with law of similars.
It was Dr. Samuel Hahnemann who innovated this law by elaborating the concept through various angles & directions & put down the whole system of Homoeopathic medicine under this law “SIMILIA SIMILIBUS CURENTER”
- Hahnemann S. Organon of medicine. B. Jain publishers; 2002.
- Jagose ardeshir, T. Homoeopathic world. (4th edition Ed.). New Delhi: Indian books and publishers; 2011.
- Rajendran, E.S. New Lights Lectures on Homoeopathy and Philosophy. (1 Ed.). Calicut: Mohna Publications; 2002.
- Sarkar, B.K. Organon of medicine. (14 Ed.). Delhi: Birla publications; 2013-2014.
- Nagendra babu, G. Comprehensive study of organon. (1 Ed.). Noida,up : Bjain publishers; 2009
- Thombre, P.B. Gems of organon with psychology. (2 Ed.). New Delhi: B jain publishers ; 2008
- James Tyler Kent. Lecturers on homoeopathic philosophy. New Delhi: B jain publishers; 2002
- Stuart close. The genius of homoeopathy lecturers and essays on homoeopathic philosophy with word index. (2 Ed.). New Delhi: B Jain publisher; 2005.
- Herbert Robert, A. The priciniples and art of cure by homoeopathy. New Delhi: Indian books & periodicals publishers ; 2013
- Samuel Hahnemann. The chronic diseases. Noida up: Bjain publishers; 2005
- Dudgeon, R.E. The lesser writings of Samuel Hahnemann. Noida up: Bjain publishers; 2017.
- Carroll Dunham. Homoeopathy the science of therapeutics. New Delhi: Bjain publishers; 2019.
- Richard Hughes. The principles & practice of homoeopathy. New Delhi: Bjain publishers;
- Dawdle, M.L. Principles and practice of homoeopathy. New Delhi: Bjain publishers;
- Shashi kant tiwari. Essentials of repertorisation. (5 Ed.). New Delhi: Bjain publishers; 2005
Dr Vinuta Yathiswarappa G
PG Scholar, Department Of Organon of Medicine
Father Muller homoeopathic medical college
Deralakatte, Mangalore- 575018