A study on utility of relationship of remedies in clinical practice

Dr Melita Alva
The subject of relationship of remedies is one of the most fascinating in homoeopathy and many aspects of it have been described in the literature.

As aptly quoted by Dr Clarke “The homoeopathic Materia Medica consists potentially, we may say of anything and everything that may be found in the universe.  Man himself epitomizes the universe and nothing in the universe can therefore be said to be unrelated to him. It is his business to find out the indications for the uses of the substances at his command and the methods in which they are to be prepared and applied”.

A vast amount of work regarding relationship of remedies has been done by stalwarts such like Boeninghausen, Allen, Hering, Clarke, Gibson Miller, Kent, Guernsey and Lippe, most of these work have been well appreciated and is useful in the practice of this rational system of medicine, but most stalwarts have not highlighted the other relations than complements.

The relationship of remedies is most useful in second prescription, which is not well understood. Scientific homoeopathic prescribers assert that there is a specific clinical relationship among homoeopathic remedies. Hence prescription which follow a certain sequence are of much clinical importance as it may speed up the cure or even spoil the case. Hence a study on relationship of remedies is taken up to understand its role in day today practice.

Homoeopathy is primarily concerned with individualization of patients and one drug is to be selected for an individual sick person, the simillimum which covers him.  But one Single homoeopathic remedy is not always enough to completely cover the natural disease.

The relationship of remedies is the least understood because not enough study has been conducted. Sometime the data’s available is confusing as same drug is complementary, Inimical and antidoting to one drug.

A successful second prescription depends upon the meaningful knowledge of remedy relationship which is lacking in many of us. A proper clinical knowledge of remedy relationship will help us in correct prescription. This term second prescription is very well known to all of us, but its real utility, and practical importance is not well known.

It not only helps in second prescription, but in first prescription since it helps in the proper planning of the next remedy to be prescribed.


  • To understand the relationship of remedies in clinical practice.
  • Utility of relationship of remedies in effective homoeopathic management.

These are the findings of this study on relationship:

The distributions of 30 cases according to each remedy relationship were as follows;

  • 16 cases were follow well remedies (53.33%)
  • 6 cases were complement (20%)
  • 5 cases were complement as well as follow well (16.67%)
  • 1 case antidote (3.33%)
  • 2 cases were inimical relation (6.67%).

Considering this study almost 53.33% of cases were follow well remedies, 20% cases complement, 16.67% of cases complement as well as follow well, total of 90% cases with improvement.

Antidote (3.33%) and Inimical (6.67%), total of 10% cases without improvement.

Majority of the patients (90%) included in this study group showed improvement after homoeopathic treatment.

A total of 30 cases were selected for the study based on inclusion and exclusion criteria.   These cases were analyzed in different point of view, one case was explained in detail with help of standardized case record(SCR),case concept form(CCF), case concept exposition form (CCE) and standardized paper in homoeopathic prescribing(SPHP).

 At the end of the study there were certain conclusions arrived at:

  • The most frequently used relationship was follow well, next complement. These two relations are frequently used in day today clinical practice in homoeopathic treatment, which is most important in second prescription.
  • The other two relations, antidote is considered when there is homoeopathic aggravation and inimical relations will help the medicine use cautiously.
  • Knowledge of the relationship of remedies will certainly enhance the percentage of results in homoeopathic practice.
  • This result of the study conducted obviously highlights the understanding the relationship of remedies in clinical practice and its utility in homoeopathic management.

Download full paper : https://files.secureserver.net/4s34LkZXMPFoOD

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


10 + 5 =