Dr. Md. Salauddin1, Dr. Truptida Sahu2
Skin is the outer covering of the human body which protects the internal organs. There are many diseases which can appear on the skin leading to psychological stress to the patient. Acne is a condition in which the hair follicles gets plugged with oil and dead skin cells causing pain and redness which further leads to psychological trauma, as it makes the patient isolate from the society. There are many types of acne rosacea with various aetiology and manifestations. By prescribing appropriate Homoeopathic treatment and management, the rosacea can get cure. As Homoeopathic medicines works even on mental level.
KEY WORDS – Skin, Acne rosacea, Homoeopathy.
Skin is the outer covering of the human body which covers and protects vulnerable internal organs from injurious effect of the environment. A good skin is just not about beauty and color, it’s about confidence and health. Therefore any disfigurement on the skin no matter how little it be becomes a reason of concern especially for women. It is also the mirror of reflection of internal dynamism of the human body.
There are many diseases which can occur on the skin leading to loss of confidence, self esteem and shame. The disfigurement of the skin result in psychological problems like depression and make the person isolate from the society.
LAYERS OF THE SKIN – “Epidermis” and “Dermis”.
Many disease can happen to the skin. Such as, Acne, Fungal infections, Psoriasis, Eczema, Dermatitis, Urticaria, etc.
Let’s discuss about Acne. Acne is a skin condition that occurs when the hair follicles become plugged with oil and dead skin cells. Acne are of various types:
- Acne vulgaris
- Acne rosacea
- Acne simplex
- Acne conglobata
In this article we will read about acne rosacea.
SEX – Females
AGE – Early twenties
RACE – Fair complexioned
GEOGRAPHICAL DISTRIBUTION – Cold areas of the world
There are 4 types of acne rosacea:-
- Erythematotelangiectatic rosacea – redness and flushing, with visible blood vessels.
- Papulopustular rosacea – involves redness, swelling with suppuration.
- Phymatous rosacea – causes the skin to thicken and take a bumpy texture
- Ocular rosacea – causes redness and irritation in the eyes with swollen eyelids.
“Papulopustular” is the commonest one amongst all.
- Hereditary – Genes plays a big role in the cause of acne rosacea.
- Sex – Females are more prone to acne rosacea than man.
Females with light complexion and blonde hair are more affected.
- UV Rays – Much exposure in the sun can aggravate the symptoms of acne rosacea by widening the blood vessels.
- Mites – Demodex folliculorum, a type of mite that lives on the skin, but when their growth is higher than usual then they cause acne rosacea.
- Bacteria – H. pylori, a bacteria which normally lives in the gut, give raise the digestive hormone called gastrin, which cause the skin to look flushed.
- Smoking and alcohol intake triggers the symptoms of acne rosacea.
SIGN AND SYMPTOMS
|FLUSHING||Frequent flushing and blushing of the skin.|
|PERSISTENT REDNESS||Persistent facial redness|
|PIMPLES||Swelling, red, painful, suppurated, burning|
|VISIBLE BLOOD VESSELS||Visible in extremely sensitive skin|
|DRYNESS||On the central part of the face|
|PLAQUES||Raised red plaques around the surrounding skin|
|SKIN THICKENING||Also known as RHINOPHYMA seen in some cases|
PRECAUTIONS TO BE TAKEN TO PREVENT ACNE ROSACEA
- Maintain a proper hygiene.
- UV Rays from the sun. Much exposure in the sun can aggravate the redness on the face by rupturing the small blood vessels.
- Reduce stress.
- Avoid smoking and alcoholic beverages.
- Increase water intake.
- Regular exercise.
Homoeopathy works best in cases of all skin complaints.
|NAME OF THE MEDICINE||MENTALS||LOCATION||SENSATION||CONCOMITANT||MODALITIES|
|BELLADONNA||Fury & rage, desire to strike, spit, bite and to tear everything, growling and barking like a dog||Temples, corners of the mouth, chin, lips & nose.||Dry, burning, hot skin. Acne painful on touch.||Sweat on covered parts only.||<by touch, cold application
|EUGENIA JAMBOS||Everything appears beautiful & larger. Excitement soon changes to depression.||–||Painful acne on the circumference||–||< sunlight >smoking|
|PSORINUM||Dreams becomes thoughts & ideas||Upper lip, forehead, neck||Burning & itching||Foul odor from the body||<change of weather, menses, coffee|
|CARBO VEGETABILIS||Desire for death, embarrassment in the society||Chin, commissures of the lips.||Burning & itching||Great debility on making least effort||<open air, cold, fat food
|LACHESIS MUTUS||Loquacious, vindictive, jealous, aggressive, clairvoyance||Lips||Heat & redness on face, itching||Intolerable to tight clothing, esp. around neck.||<in spring or summer, extremes of temperature
|BOVISTA LYCOPEDRON||Misapplication of words in speaking & writing||–||Heat in the cheeks||Tetter here and there all the time||<after using cosmetics, summers|
|SILICEA||Think only of pins, fears them, searches for them, count them.||Chin||Heat on face||–||<washing, approach of winter, before & during a storm>summer|
|EUPHRASIA OFFICINALIS||Indolent, repugnance to conversation||Around the eyes||Burning and pain||Yawning when walking in the open air||<south winds
|NUX VOMICA||Zealous, fault finding, leading a sedentary life.||Cheeks and head||Painful to touch||Sour breath||<liquors, coffee,
|AGARICUS MUSCARIUS||Make prophesy, verses; sings, talks but does not answer questions.||–||Needle like pricking sensation||Oily non-offensive sweat||<before a thunderstorm, cold weather.|
This is to be concluded that acne rosacea can be best treated by Homoeopathic medicines, as in Homoeopathy the medicines are being prescribed on the basis of individualization of the patient.
With proper management, the rosacea can get cure.
- Sharma N. Role of homoeopathic medicines in the treatment of superficial fungal infections [Doctor of medicine in Homoeopathy]. Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan Rajasthan Ayurved University, Jodhpur; 2010.
- Rosacea (Adult acne) [Internet]. My.clevelandclinic.org.2019[cited 7 July 2019]. Available from: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/12174-rosacea-adult-acne
- Clarke J. 1994. New Delhi: B Jain Pulishers;2019
- Boericke W. Pocket Mannual ofHomoeopathic material medica with Indian medicine& repertory. 9th ed. New Delhi: Indian Books & Periodical Publishers; 2019.
- Clarke J. A Dictionary of Practical Materia Medica. Delhi: B. Jain Publishers; 2019.
- Clarke J. A Dictionary of Practical Materia Medica. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers; 1995.
- Pathat S. Materia Medica of Homoeopathic Medicines. 2nd ed. Noida: B. Jain Publishers; 1999.
- What is rosacea [Internet]. WebMD. 2019 [cited 9 July 2019]. Available from: https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatment/understanding-rosacea-basics
Dr. Md. Salauddin
1 HOD, Professor, M.D (HOM)
Department of Paediatrics
Dr. M.P.K. Homoeopathic Medical College, Hospital and Research Center.
Dr. Truptida Sahu
2Department of Paediatrics M.D. (Part 1).
Dr. M.P.K. Homoeopathic Medical College, Hospital and Research Center.