Lamiaceae or Labiatae, also known as the mint family, is a family of plants. It has been considered closely related to Verbenaceae The Labiate family consists of about 3000 species of plants. The original family name is Labiatae, so given because the flowers typically have petals fused into an upper lip and a lower lip. Although this is still considered an acceptable alternative name, most botanists now use the name “Lamiaceae” in referring to this family.
- They are rich in essential oils and are frequently used for their aromatic properties..
- They are widely used culinary herbs, such as basil, mint, rosemary, sage, savory, marjoram, oregano, thyme, lavender, and perilla. Some are shrubs, trees, such as teak, or rarely vines.
- It is said to have some medicinal qualities.
- human food or for feeding livestock
- aromatic, liqueur production, medicinal or veterinary plants
- to combat pests and parasites, cosmetic
- in handicrafts, to produce soap, to tan leather, to dye cloth
- in religious, magic or superstitious rituals
- The raw materials have also been used in many different forms: fresh, dry, powdered, as infusions in water, oil or alcohol, as ointment, burned and eventually smoked, and sniffed as powder
Labiatae remedies in Homeopathy
1. Collinsonia candensis
2. Cataria Nepeta
5. Leonurus cardiaca
6. Lycopus Virginicus
7. Mentha piperita
8. Mentha pulegium
9. Ocimum canum
10. Origanum vulgare
13. Salvia Officinalis
14. Scutellaria laterifolia
15. Teucricim marum verum
16. Teucrium Scorodina
- Nervous excitement: Many members of this family produce intense nervous excitement with great agitation and anxiety. Restlessness of body and mind along with trembling of extremities, twitching and jerking of muscles
- Dyspepsia:- Along with obstinate constipation and dysenteric stool.
- Dragging down sensation felt especially towards inguinal region or genitals.
- Haemorrhoids: Congestion of veins and venous radicles
- Complaints resulting from checked hacmorrhage especially haemorrhoidal bleeding.
- Wormifuge Some of then are powerful worm expellants
- Action on cardiovascular system: palpitations, hypertrophy
- Action of excretory system: cystitis, renal colic, urinary disturbances, lithic diathesis
- Action on female genitalia: causes bearing down sensations, leucorrhoea and dysmenorrhoea
Remedies in brief:
- Mind wanders from one thing to other Confusion of mind and insomnia
- Forcible diarrhoea preceeded by severe colic. Flatulence and rumbling
- Violent headache with throbbing and nausea after suppressed haemorrhoids.
- Exopthalmic goitre with cardiac complaints. Aneurism, pericarditis, hypertrophy. Constrictive sensation in cardiac region Pulse quick and irregular. Darting pain in the region of heart with intermittent heart beat. Audible action of heart. Can only walk few step having to stop and get breath. Oedema of left arm, leg and foot.
- Brights disease, DM. Drinks large quantity of water Relief only by drinking very cold water. Urine scanty, and frequent contains mucus, epithelial cells and oxalate of lime Tenderness of bladder.
- Menses irregular. Menorrhagia and metorrhagia. Vagina hot with puffiness of vulva.
- nervous fear that pre-dominates everything. The patient fears some calamity.
- Chorea, paralysis agitans, irregular, muscular twitching, insomnia and night terrors of children and palpitations of heart.
- Tobacco heart. Sticking in heart region. Throbbing about heart Pulse variable in force. Intermits
- Nervous disorders of women that are dependent upon irritation of sexual organs. Irritability and restlessness with irritability of sexual organs.
- Impossible to remain tranquil.
Rosemarinus, mentha piperata are use full in mental anxiety and restlessness. Cataria nepeta: Hysteria, nervous irritability and nervous headache.
- Catarrhal gastritis. Nausea and vomiting with cramp like pain in stomach.
- Sensation of heat and weight in epigastrium
- Obstinate constipation with sensation as if rectum is loaded with sticks
- Alternate diarrhoea and constipation. piles Cardiac complaints and haemorrhoidal complaints alternate. Cardiac complaints are relieved when piles return.
- A heavy dragging ache in pubis with prolapsed uterus
- Bleeding or blind piles
- Dull frontal headache with constipation when haemorrhage is checked
- Inflamed condition of genitals with swelling. Amenorrhoca, dysmenorrhoea or prolapse of uterus when associated with or secondary to rectal congestion and constipation.
- Haemorrhoidal complaints occur during later months of pregnancy.
- Menses too early and too scanty. Profuse leucorrhoea with biting sensation.
- Burning sensation in oesophagus or middle of chest immediately after eating or drinking. Excessive distension of abdomen. stool hard with emission of blood
- A dragging sensation in left side of abdomen down in to pubic region as if a hernia would protrude there.
- Hard stool with emission of blood and great lassitude
- Polyp of vagina
- Itching and tingling of anus in bed, crawling in rectum after stool.
- Excrescences in urethra with smarting pain in upper part of urethra.
- Uric acid diathesis Albuminuria Renal calculi. Urine has the odor of musk. Renal colic espccially right sided with violent vomiting and crampy pain in kidney. Brick dust sediment. Glandular swelling mammary or inguinal gland with renal complaints.
- Prolapse of vagina. Swelling of whole vulva with lancinating pain in labia.
- Bearing down sensation as if everything would escape from vulva. Dsymenorrhoea-labour like pain with regular periodicity
- Pain along left ureter. Colic. Urine is dark colored and is attended with tenemus. Red sand in unine. Frequent urging.
- excoriating leucorrhoea.
- Evacuation of roundworms. Intense itching of anus followed by burning.
- Nausea and violent retching Increased thirst yet drinking causes epigastric pain.
- Frequent stool dark brown or bloody contain large quantity of blood but no mucus
- Hysteria attended with nausea and vomiting. Infantile colic and flatulent colic. Gastrodynia. Deranged digestion.
- Dyspeptic symptoms with increased salivation.
- Abdominal complaints of children with abdominal pain, colic with constant flexion of thighs twisting of body and crying.