Model questions in Homoeopathic Pharmacy
1) First homoeopathic pharmacoepia- by Dr.Carl W Caspari of Leipzig Germany in 1825 –“ dispensatorium homoeopathicum”
2) First homoeopathic pharmacoepia in India – by M. Bhattacharya & co of Calcutta in1893 called “pharmaceutist manual” revised edition in 1902 and is called” m.bhattacharya and co homoeopathic pharmacoepia”
3) Official pharmacoepia of India –h p i – in 1971 published by ministry of health and family welfare.govt. Already published 180 monographs (drugs) in 8 volumes.
4) Chairman of the first “homoeopathic pharmacoepia committee” in 1962- dr. B.K.sarkar.
5) Official pharmacy= preparation of the drugs according to the process which are prescribed in the official pharmacoepia.
6) Extemporous pharmacy= preparation and distribution of the drugs according to the physicians prescription.
7) Combining- it is the process of joining two or more thing together.
8) Compounding –joining two or more elements to form a new product with a new property, eg hepar sulph.
9) Preparation of medicines where whole plants are used—aconite, arnica, bell. Chamomile, drosera, ledum, hyos, hypericum, ruta, spigelia, ranunculus, stramonium
10) Where fresh root are used? Bryonia, cicuta and phytolacca and arum trphylum
11) Where dried root are used –caltrops, ipecac, rawolfia.
12) Where hanging aerial roots are used –ficus indica
13) Where stem are used- cactus grand folium
14) Wherecimicifuga,gelsemium,helleborus,hydrangia,podophyllum,rumex,sanguinaria,veratrum alb
15) Tubers-solanum tuberosum
16) Corns-colchicum, crocus
17) Bulb-allium cepa, allium sativa
18) Where fresh leaves are used: -aegle folia, digitalis, and ficus Religiosa, justicia adathoda, kalmia, rhustox
19) Where dried leaves are used: -coca, tabacum, and eucalyptus
20) Where flowers /flowering heads with or without leaves are used: – Calendula, eupatorium, cina,
21) Where dried stigma or flower is used- crocus sativa.
22) Where berries are used? Sabal serrulata, a gnus castus
23) Where nuts are used? Aesculus hippocastanum
24) Where fresh seeds are used? Ignatia, syzygium
25) Where dried seeds are used? Cocculus, lathyrus, nux moschata, nux vom, staphysagria
26) Where bark is ised? -Abies can.cinchona, mezereum (dried outer bark), cinnamomum (inner bark)
27) Where bark of root is used? -Baptisia, berberis, hamamelis
28) Where juice is used? -Aloe soc (leaves), anacardium occi (juice of shell), anac.orient (juice of seed), opium (gummy juice of poppy)
29) Eg: – of medicines from resins-abies nig, asafoetida
30) E.g.:-of medicines from gum resins: -asafoetida, benzoinum
31) E.g.: of medicines from oleo resins: -rhustox, turpentine
32) Eg: of medicines from balsam: -balsamum peruvianum, bals.tolutanum
33) E.g.: of medicines from algae: -ficus vesiculosus
34) Medicines from fungi: -agaricus, bovista, ustilago, secale cor
35) Medicines from lichens: -sticta pulmonale (algae and lichens are Thallophytic)
36) Medicines from bryophytes: -polytrichum juniperinum
37) Medicines from pteridophyta: -lyco, filix mas, and equisetum
38) Name of the alkaloids seen in
Secale cor: -ergotin
Cimicifuga: -macro tin
Iris versicolor: -irisin
Apocyanum cann: -apocyanin
Adonis vernal is: -adonidin
Aloes soc: -aloin
Chemical formula of sac lac = c12 h22 o11
John Ernest staff process for purification
Insoluble in alcohol
1gm s.l. is soluble in 5 ml of ordinary water
1g, s.l. is soluble in 2.6ml in boiling water
Molecular weight –360.3
Synonyms of placebo=phytum, rubrum, nihilinum, lactopen
Globules soluble in water insoluble in alcohol.
Pillules = larger globules 40, 60, 70
Pellets = smaller globules.
Cones = for preparation, vegetable and animal kingdom substances are used. Cane sugar with egg albumin usual shape is conical, commonly used size is no 6.
Tablets =sugar of milk, soluble in water and in soluble in alcohol and are softer than globules.
1) Anagallis is prepared from whole plant
2) Gentiana cruciata root
3) Aqua Petra mineral spring water
4) Radium artificial imponderables
5) Which plant possesses more medicinal qualities?
- a) Plants cultivated in botanical gardens
- b) Wild plants
- c) Plants cultivated in home
- d) All
6) Penicillin is prepared from- Synthetic source
7) Narcotic plants are collected in – Before or during
8) Corrosive substance is preserved in – a) Hard glass
9) Fluoric acid is stored in—gutta purcha bottles
10) Drugs, which are affected by the light or sunlight, their glass bottles are covered outside with solution of—asphaltum and black varnish
11) For storing caustic or acid substances –Pyrex glass is used.
12) Venom can be preserved in—deep freeze in glycerin
13) Most common impurity in sugar of milk—starch
14) Saccharin lactis is derived from—Latin
15) For prepn of sugar of milk fat free skimmed milk is treated with————————————-to ppt the casein—dilute hcl
16) Purified water can be prepared by methods of—-de iodisation and distillation
17) Aqua distillate is mainly used for —potentisation purposes
18) Purified water should be preserved in—Pyrex glass
19) Synthetically ethyl alcohol is prepared from —hydrocarbon ethylene
20) Dilute alcohol contains ————-v/v of alcohol—-65%
21) Acc: to a.h.p, dilute alcohol consists ———part of alcohol and———part of distilled water—7:3
22) Alcohol fortis contains ———-vol: of alcohol——95%
23) Glycerin is ————-alcohol—tri hydric
24) Proof spirit is a mixture of ——- and ———-alcohol and distilled water
25) Rectified spirit is —60o.p
26) B.p of glycerin is 290 degrees
27) Glycerin is prepared from molasses, synthetically, spent, soap lye’s
28) Commercially glycerin is prepared from —propylene
29)———–is used as a suppository in constipation—-glycerin.
30) Glycerin is used in preparations of mother tinct. and lower dilution of Certain poisonous products like apis, naja, tarentula
31) The solution of cane sugar, sucrose, purified water, which is used as a sweet maker —–syrup complex
32) Olive oil is soluble in——–chloroform
33) Olive oil is —-tasteless
34) Synonyms of sesame oil—benne oil and gingely oil
35) Oleum amygdale is synonym of —almond oil
36)———oil is used in perfumes—rose mary
37) Family of rose mary oil is—labiates
38) The semi solid vehicles are – lanolin, Vaseline and spermaceti
39) Lavender oil is used for soothing effect=head-ache
40) Yellow paraffin is used in wools alcohol ointment
41) Cetaceum is the synonym of spermaceti
42) Spermaceti is a mixture of various constituents of which principle is –cetin
43) 1 dessertspoon full is = to 8 ml.
44) I wine glass full is= to 60ml
45) Wool fatis the synonym of lanolin
46) Acid value of spermaceti is – not more than 10
47) — Balance is used for serving prescription= brass pan balance
48)—is used for weighing milk sugar and poisonous substances=horn pan scale
49) A chopping knife or chopper is made of stainless steel
50) For finer powder — sieves should be used=silk
51) Temperature of water bath always remain at – of water= boiling point
52) Corks should be washed with purified water
53) The mother powder is not soluble in == alcohol, water and olive oil.
54) The process of separating out the tincture with force from the solid drug material is known as = straining
55) The liquid, which is capable of penetrating the tissues of plant or animal substance and dissolving the active principle, is known as =men strum
56) Ferrum mur is prepared under class- va
57) For maceration the temperature should be maintained between the temperature within the range 15- 20 oc
58) Maceration should be allowed to continue for 15- 30 days
59) Idea regarding fluxion potency was -=skinner
60) Hahnemann himself made potencies up to =60
61) For 50-mm scale potency –potency of trituration is required= 3c
62) Psorinum is prepared under class 9 in old method.
63) In modern method the drug power of moschus is= 1/20
64) Succussion is a new method by =dr. Hahnemann
65) — Is called as therapeutic creams = ointments
66) For the preparation liniment ———– is used as vehicle= olive oil.
67) For the preparation of liniment the proportion of medicine & tincture of soap is–=1:4
68) Starch is insoluble in = cold water and alcohol.
69)“aur” is =ear
70) “Bene “= well
71)” c.v.” =tomorrow evening
72) collut is a mouth wash
73) “o.n” = every night
74) The letter “rx “ – is originally signified the symbol of the planet of the sun is —-Jupiter
75) Rx – stands for the Greek word —recipe
76) Emulsion is introduced in the body by =“oral”
77) Who told, “The dose makes it a poison or a remedy”= Paracelsus
78) The first proving of apis mell was by ——- and that of virus by —– ==Dr. Humphreys, Dr. Hering
79) The main action of apium virus =is on skin & venous system
80) Percolation is done with substances containing —–=verry less moisture % no moisture
81) Straight potency introduced by —-=Dr. Burt
82) Before Hahnemann drug proving was thought by —- =ALFRED VON HALER
83) The strong influential constituent which can be extracted from a drug and can be analyzed chemically–= is the active principle.
84) American arbor vitae is the common name of =thuja occi.
85) Indian name of Graphite’s= is the Krishna seeshaka.
86) Development of hypodermic needle for drug administration was demonstrated by = Wood.
87) Who defines pharmacy as an art and science of preparing and dispensing medicines= DR. GARTH BOERICKE
88) Iron mortar pestle are used for pulverizing -= nux.vomica
89) Moulded vehicle -== modified vehicle
90) Worm glass= spigelia
91) Palandu = Indian name of Allium Cepa.
92) Use of small amount of alcohol for moistening the sugar of milk during trituration as it will save the troubles of scrapings and stirring was mentioned by =Burt.