Scope of Homoeopathic and Ayurvedic practice in Australia

Dr Mansoor Ali

How to register and practice Homoeopathy Ayurveda and other alternative systems of medicine in Australia

Australia, officially the Commonwealth of Australia, is a sovereign country comprising the mainland of the Australian continent, the island of Tasmania, and numerous smaller islands. It is the largest country in Oceania and the world’s sixth-largest country by total area.

Australia is one of the world’s most highly urbanised countries; it’s well known for its attractive mega cities such as Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, and Perth.

The homeopathic profession, in conjunction with the Federal Government, established National Competency Standards in Homeopathy in 1999.

The standards are reviewed by the profession biennially in conjunction with the Government. The Australian Homeopathic Association (AHA) supports this process, and has provided significant input. AHA has branches in the States of Australia and provides regular seminars with leading local and international homeopaths.

Australian Register of Homoeopaths (AROH), is the national register and self-regulation body for homoeopaths, replacing the registration role which had previously been fulfilled by the various homeopathic associations throughout Australia.

Practitioners registered with AROH are recognised by all the major health insurance funds for the purpose of rebates on consultation fees.

You can register with Australian Register of Homoeopaths (ARoH) or  Australian Traditional Medicine Society (ATMS)

To practice no AROH registration is required  but for professional indemnity (compensation payments) insurance cover, we need to be under a professional body like AROH or ATMS.

AROH is the self governing body only for homeopaths.

ATMS covers other systems like Ayurveda, Chinese Medicine, Acupuncture etc. The procedures are simple comparing to ARoH

Details :

Homeopath’s registration with ARoH or ATMS brings to you the following strengths when choosing a homeopath for your family’s health needs:

  • Trust,  through having a registration status
  • Recognition of their education and continued development.
  • Credibility as they are meeting professional standards.
  • Eligibility for professional and public indemnity insurance, gives you assurance.
  • The purpose of the Register is to protect the public by accrediting only practitioners who meet these standards.

Homeopathic Medicines
The manufacture and sale of homeopathic preparations in Australia is controlled by the TGA (Therapeutic Goods Administration)

Status of Homoeopaths
Homoeopaths, like many complementary medical practitioners are designated ‘unregistered healthcare practitioners’.

An unregistered healthcare practitioner is a practitioner who is not required to be registered under legislation or who provides health services that are unrelated to their registration.

Examples include homoeopaths, naturopaths, psychotherapists and therapeutic masseurs.

State and Federal Governments prefer for the homoeopathic profession (and many other complementary therapies) to be self-regulated (unlike medical practitioners & chiropractors, who are regulated by law). For homoeopaths, the Australian Register of Homoeopaths (ARoH) provides the self-regulatory body the government requires. Regulatory bodies set educational standards according to Government guidelines and impose a Code of Conduct on their registrants.

The legislation and code of conduct can be accessed at these links for different states

Registration Process in ARoH
There are two different routes by which a practitioner can register with AROH.

The first is for practitioners who have completed a qualification at a college whose homoeopathic course is accredited by AROH.

The second, for practitioners who have not studied a homoeopathic course accredited by AROH, is to undertake an assessment of their competency. Practitioners who demonstrate competency may then register with AROH.

Please note that documents to be submitted with your application must be certified as true copies. Certification can occur through a Justice of the Peace or Commissioner of Declarations.

The courses accredited by AROH.

  • Cyberjaya University College of Medical Sciences (CUCMS) – Malaysia – International Provider
  • International Academy of Classical Homeopathy – Prof George Vithoulkas – Greece – International Provider
  • School of Homeopathy – UK – International Provider

Documents required

  1. Certified copies of each Academic qualification(s)
  2. Certified copy of Professional Indemnity Insurance Certificate of Currency
  3. Certified copy of current First Aid qualification HLTAID003 or higher
  4. Copy of current registration or membership (e.g. CMBA, ANTA, ATMS, AHPRA, CMA, or other)
  5. Proof of Payment (Internet Transaction Receipt for the transfer)
  6. Copy of Working with Children Check or Police check
  7. Copy of CPD activities (20 hours per year for 3 years), if applicable

Homoeopaths may register with AROH by contacting the Registrar:
AROH Registrar
PO Box 1533
Warriewood Shopping Square, NSW 2102
Tel: 0488 060 145

Link :

Practitioners with Overseas Qualifications
Need  VETASSESS  assessment  and go to CAM link on that page


  • Currently no Govt job
  • You can establish your own private practice
  • Search in Google for Australian jobs with your qualification

Useful Resources
ATMS Registration :

Australian Homoeopathic association :

Emigration details :

Australian Government Health regulations :

Regulation of complementary medicines :

Victorian college of classical homoeopathy :

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.