Dr A S Mridul
Schizophrenia affects around 0.85% of the world’s population and its really an alarming figure. Curability is limited in allopathic system of medicine and as we homoeopaths have already proved the efficacy in neurosis its time to prove our role in psychotic disorders like schizophrenia and to help the humanity with its benefits. Homoeopathy treats the person as a whole, which means that it focuses on the patient’s body, mind, emotions and the pathological condition. Homoeopathic treatment is the most curative, non-toxic, gentle and modern treatment. In view of the fact that it works with the person’s own vital force towards equilibrium and healing, it will influence the brain chemistry and assist the patient in resuming psychological strength and symmetry. In conclusion, the Homoeopathic understanding of health believes that body and mind are dynamically interconnected and that both directly influence each other.
Thus Homoeopathic treatment might have a better chance to relieve the symptoms of Schizophrenia giving the patient an improved awareness of their disease and a deeper self-consciousness, thus contributing to permit the patient a healthier life quality. So i humbly take up the responsibility of proving the scope of this divine Homoeopathic treatment on this most difficult psychotic disorder SCHIZOPHRENIA.2
- To explore the scope of Homoeopathy in Schizophrenia.
- To highlight the efficacy of Homoeopathic remedies in the treatment of Schizophrenia.
These are the findings of the study of Schizophrenia
- Prevalence of Schizophrenia in males is 70% and female is 30%
- Prevalence of Schizophrenia is maximum. in age groups 15-25(40%) in males and 25-35 (16.67%) age groups in females.
- Out of 30 cases 6 males (20%) and 3 females (10%) belonged to Hindu religion, 2 males (6.67%) and 1 female (3.33%) belonged to Muslim religion, 13 males (43.3%) and 5 females (16.67%) belonged to Christian religion.
- In subtypes Paranoid was maximum with 20 cases (66.67%).
- Psoric expression was well marked and found to be dominating in 23 cases (76.67%).Fundamentally strong Psoric miasmatic background was noted in 17 cases (56.67%).
- Phosphorus was used as a constitutional remedy in 7 cases (23.33%), Natrum muriaticum (10%), Calcarea carbonicum and Sepia (6.67%), Staphysagria, Kali Carbonicum, Hyocyamus, Nux Vomica, Ars Alb and Magnesium Muriaticum (3.33%).
- Psychiatric illness was running in family for 17 cases and absent in 13 cases (43.33%).
- Out of 30 cases, 27 cases (90%) showed improvement and 3 cases (10%) were not improved significantly.
- The statistical scales used for assessment of the effect of the treatment also showed significant improvement after the treatment.
From the analysis of the above results obtained from this study it is evident that, Homoeopathic medicines are quite effective in the treatment of Schizophrenia.