Dr Puneet Kumar Misra
The Homoeopathic Medicine Argentums Metallicum affects the cartilages, tarsal, ears, nose, Eustachian; the structures entering into joints as per the books on Materia Medica
After study the studious work on Argentums Metallicum in the Book of
- Allen’s key notes
- A dictionary of practical Materia Medica Clarke vol 1st
- Pocket Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica by W.Boericke.
- Hering guiding symptoms of our material medica
- E A Farrington clinical material medica
- Kent’s lecturer
- William H burt
- Manual of homoeopathic practice by C J hempel
Review of literature
Allen’s key notes #General affects the cartilages, tarsal, ears, nose,Eustachian; the structures entering into joints. Aggravation. When touched or pressed upon
Boericke #General The chief action is centered on the articulations and their component elements, bones, cartilages, and ligaments. Here the small blood vessels become closed up or withered and carious affections result.They come on insidiously, lingering, but progress. The larynx is also a special center for this drug.
Clarke Characteristics Argentum affects all the cartilages, and hence all joints and bones, with tearing and bruised pains, tenderness and weakness, painful, so-called “hysterical” joint, articular rheumatism without swelling, pain in rib cartilages and especially the left. #Generalities Pressure,cramp-like, pulling, principally in the limbs and in the bones.- Bruising pain, chiefly in the sacrum and the joints of the lower limbs.- Boring pain in the joints.-Sensation of soreness in the joints.-Strong effects on the secretions of the mucous membranes.-Sensation of excoriation in the skin and internal organs.-Sensation of numbness and stiffness in the limbs
C Hering guiding symptoms of our materia medica #Tissues Drawing pains in maxillary and parotid glands. Acts on all cartilages. Joints feel weak, sore; especially on descending. Joints feel as if beaten. Exostosis on skull. Emaciation. Diabetes mellitus.Drawing pressure or tearing in bones, especially long bones. Articular rheumatism without swelling. Caries. Tearing pain in bones. Exostosis on skull. Tenderness, tearing pressure and pain in bones. Copious discharge of mucus; of pus; of urine.
E A Farrington clinical materia medica – now the debility which naturally follows is very easily understood if you remember one quality of the argentums metallicum , and that is its action upon joints. It has a particular affinity for the cartilages of joints.
Kents lecturer All cartilages in the body are affected by it. It produces a hypertrophy of cartilages, a thickening of the cartilaginous portions of joints, of the cartilage of the ears, and of the nose. Produces cartilaginous growths and tumors; infiltrations.
Willium H burt #SPHERE OF ACTION Through the great sympathetic system it especially acts upon the cartilaginous system, affecting the cartilages of the ears, eustachian tube, tympanum, cartilages of the nose, false ribs; tarsal cartilages, muscles, tendons, ligaments, particularly those in the neighborhood of joints
Manual of homoeopathic practice by C J hempel & Encyclopedia Pure materia medica vol 01 byT F Allen According to Dr. Huber, Metallic Silver acts principally upon the following parts:
1. The Articulations. The action of Silver upon he articulations is so uniformly the same, and so certain, that but few remedies equal it in this respect.
2. The Bones especially the long bones, and upon he cartilages, particularly the cartilaginous surfaces of he ears, eustachian tube tarsal cartilages, cartilages of the nose, false ribs, .
3. the Muscles, Tendons, and Ligaments especially those which are in the neighborhood of joints also upon the psoas, triceps brachialis, .
4. Six proving with repeated doses of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, trits and 4th,5th,and 6th dils.
Analysis of literature
As per above mention and rest details of medicine in the all books it is found that the Argentums Metallicum susceptible on the cartilages part of the body effect by some stress i.e. pressure or touch and effects its structure .
After anatomical study of the body the following structures of body are build by the association of cartilage. Ends of long bones, anterior ends of ribs, nose, parts of larynx, trachea, bronchi, bronchial tubes, Pubic symphysis (point where hip bones join anteriorly), intervertebral discs (discs between vertebrae), menisci(cartilage pads) of knee, and portions of tendons that insert into cartilage, Lid on top of larynx (epiglottis), part of external ear (auricle), and auditory (eustachian) tubes.
Various disorder effect the cartilage associated part of body i.e joint cartilage effected by osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis while nose ,ear and larynx are commonly suffered from allergy, viral and bacterial infection and effect its cartilage . After all above finding the study are focused on the disorder of various structures of body are build by the association of cartilage. the Continues observation of drug action in three years 178 case the following finding are occurred
S.No Disorder No of case Result
1 Cervical pain and stiffness 09 Rapid response
2 Shoulder pain and stiffness 10 Moderate response
3 Elbow pain and stiffness 09 Mild response
4 Hand , wrist pain and stiffness 09 Mild response
5 Hip pain and stiffness 04 Rapid response
6 Knee pain and stiffness 81 Rapid response
7 Backache and stiffness 10 Mild response
8 Throat disorder with hoarseness 18 Moderate response
9 Nasal /sinuses disorder with DNS 08 Rapid response
10 Heel pain and stiffness 06 No response
11 Jaw pain 04 No response
12 Ear suppuration with pain 10 No response
During the course of above observation the following finding are seen.
1) This medicine shows no effect on the heel pain and stiffness, jaw pain and pain of ear with suppuration
2) Hand ,Wrist ,Elbow and Back pain with stiffness are mild response by the medicine
3) Shoulder pain and hoarseness of voice with throat disorder respond moderately.
4) Most of the patient is come with the chief complain of the knee pain instead of other joint this medicine respond rapid and it also shows rapid response on the cervical and hip pain with stiffness.
5) Nasal and sinuses disorder along with deviated nasal septum response rapid while throat disorder with hoarseness moderately response
Conclusion of finding
1) The heel pain and stiffness, jaw pain and pain of ear with suppuration are not relived by this medicine it show that this medicine is unaffected on the bone related pain
2) Hand, Wrist, Elbow and Back pain with stiffness are mildly responses may be due to least cartilage association or least weight bearing tendency.
3) Shoulder pain and stiffness Moderate response it is unexplained no obvious cause seen
4) Cervical , Hip and Knee pain with stiffness are rapid response may be due to major association of cartilage or maximum weight bearing tendency
5) The Nasal /sinuses disorder with DNS are rapid response because external nose skeletal framework, which is composed partly of bone and mainly of cartilage and regular under touch /pressure of inspiration and expiration of respiratory air or it is easily stressed by recurrent allergy / infection source while Throat disorder with hoarseness Moderately response may be due to their situation i.e the touch /pressure of inspiration and expiration of respiratory air indirect or slow due to the nasal septum or cavity.
6) The all case treated when the patient given history of recurrence and after the employment of the a Argentums Metallicum alone or association with other medicine, frequency and intensity of pain and stiffness reduce .
7) The continues dose shows better response instead of infrequent dose and 200c is proved effective in all case in BD frequency within 7 to 14 days.
8) The knee and cervical case shows rapid response along with x-ray finding in favour cartilage degenerative change.
9) During the period of observation it is found in much case that total serum calcium found near the lower side of the normal value while ionized calcium is also low/ lower side of the normal value.
10) In further study of the drug, if institution having in source facility of x-ray and bio chemical study of calcium, phosphorus by blood with anemia study then more evidence based data may be obtain.
11) The most of the patient above then 40years or middle aged showing the joint pain disorder with mild to moderate breathlessness and after the examination it is found that there are deviated nasal septum present with the chronic complained of recurrent upper respiratory tract discomfort. And this medicine reduce both complain .
12) This medicine is the study in the 4th year BHMS in materia madica as per CCH regulation and recommended by CCRH in 30 & 200 potency in essential drug list published in 2017.
- 1) Davidson Principal & practice of medicine 22nd Edition
- 2) Harrison’s PRINCIPLES OF INTERNAL MEDICINE 18th Edition
- 3) Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease. – 8th Edition
- 4) Text Book of Pathology 6th Edition Harsh Mohan
- 5) Diseases of Ear, Nose and Throat P L Dhingra 3rd Edition
- 6) Pocket manual of Homoeopathic meteria medica with repertory. W.Boericke
- 7) A Dictionary of Practical materia medica vol Ist By Clarke J H
- 8) Encyclopedia of Pure Materia Medica vol 01 by Allen T F
- 9) keynotes with nosodes by Allen H C
- 10) C Hering guiding symptoms of our material medica
- 11) E A Farrington clinical material medica
- 12) Kents lecturer
- 13) William H burt
- 14) Manual of homoeopathic practice by C J hempel
- 15) Gray’s anatomy for student by Richard L.Drake, wayne vogl, adam W.M.Mitchell
- 16) PRINCIPLES OF ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY 12th edtion Gerard j.tortora,bryan derrickson
- 17) CCH & CCRH guide line.
Dr Puneet Kumar Misra
Lecturer Practice of Medicine
Govt Pt J LN H M C Kanpur