Dr Puneet Kumar Misra
The Arsenicum Iod remedy is least used in the daily practice, because most of the clinician belief that medicine is used in tuberculosis or phthisis case, but details of the various materia medica indicate its main and major effect on the upper respiratory tract and most of the symptoms of the medicine are associated with this tract disorder.
Review fact in the Materia Medica Encyclopedia of Pure Materia Medica vol 1 by T F Allen
#Respiratory Apparatus.Slight hacking cough, with dryness and stoppage of the nostrils.
Materia Medica by Boericke. w
General . The discharge may be fetid, watery, and the mucous membrane is always red, angry, swollen; itches and burns. Influenza, HAY-FEVER, old nasal catarrhs, and catarrh of middle ear. Swelling of tissues within the nose.
#Respiratory Slight hacking cough, with dry and stopped up nostrils.
#Nose THIN, WATERY, IRRITATING EXCORIATING DISCHARGE FROM ANTERIOR AND POSTERIOR NARES; SNEEZING. Hay-fever. Irritation and tingling of nose constant desire to sneeze. [Pollanin.] CHRONIC NASAL CATARRH; swollen nose; profuse thick, yellow discharge; ulcers; MEMBRANE SORE AND EXCORIATED. Aggravation by sneezing.
A Dictionary of Practical Materia Medica Clarke J.H vol 1st
Chronic nasal catarrh, discharge gluey, like yellow honey, excoriating.
The Guiding symptoms of our materia medica by hering C.vol 1st
Introduction In 1872, H. Nankinwell, it has been given most in the third decimal and always repeated.
#Cough Frequent, short, suppressed cough, often loose, with muco- purulent expectoration. Phthisis. Slight hacking cough with stoppage of nostrils.- B. Frequent cough, with muco-purulent and occasionally stringy expectoration; agg. on exertion and at night.
Smell and Nose Nose quite dry; 4th day. B. Frequent sneezing. Phthisis. Severe coryza with catarrhal tendency; pungent irritation about nose and eyes, and an irritating, watery secretion. Chronic nasal catarrh.
Lectures on Homoeopathy by Kent J T
Most stubborn nasal catarrh with bloody, acrid, copious, 1< excoriating, greenish,purulent>, thick, yellow or yellow greenish discharge; honey like discharge; coryza with watery discharge; coryza in open air with cough. It has been a most useful remedy in <hay fever>. Dryness in nose and <epistaxis>. <Obstruction of nose>, pain in nose. Smell lost. Much sneezing. Swelling inside of nose; ulceration in nose.
A Text Book of Materia Madica and therapeutics by A W Cowperthwaite
THERAPEUTICS. Our knowledge of the action of this drug is derived chiefly from clinical sources. It has been found especially useful in the treatment of catarrhal diseases in scrofulous subjects, where many arsenic symptoms are present, together with enlarged
lymphatic glands. Nasal catarrh. Hay fever. Ophthalmia. Otitis. Catarrhal inflammation of the nose, throat and ears, with swelling and stoppage of Eustachian tube.
Concise materia madica of hom.remedies by S R Phatak
#Generalities This remedy should be thought of when the *discharges of MUCUS MEMBRANES are persistently *acrid, *profuse, thick, gluey, yellow like honey, in chronic affections; and thin in acute conditions.
#Nose Drips water, which is *hot, *green, *acrid, *reddens upper lip. Persistent but unsatisfactory sneezing. Tingling in the nose and constant desire to sneeze. *Coryza with dyspnoea. Post-nasal catarrh. Hay fever. Influenza. Colds with hunger.
Analysis of review fact in the materia madica
The details of symptoms of medicine in above materia medica and review the all fact along with mentioned point, it is found that the Arsenicum Iod having better deal in the upper respiratory tract disorder .
The upper respiratory tract disorder are identified by a variety of descriptive names, including rhinitis, rhinopharyngitis/ nasopharyngitis, coryza, and nasal catarrh, sore throat as well as by the inclusive label common cold And all disorder are the combination of various symptoms i.e. nasal congestion, blockage or discharge and may be accompanied by facial pain/pressure or loss of smell. The discharge may thin, thick or purulent in the nature .Examination usually confirms erythematous swollen nasal mucosa and pus may be evident with or without Nasal polyps and deviated septum, and all mentioned symptoms i.e. subjective or objective are frequently available in the most of the materia madica which denotation it.
ACUTE RHINITIS (COMMON COLD) Acute rhinitis or common cold is the common inflammatory disorder of the nasal cavities that may extend into the nasal sinuses. It begins with rhinorrhoea, nasal obstruction and sneezing. Initially, the nasal discharge is watery, but later it becomes thick and purulent. The etiologic agents are generally adenoviruses that evoke catarrhal discharge. Chilling of the body is a contributory factor. Secondary bacterial invasion is common. The nasal mucosa is oedematous, red and thickened.
Upper respiratory tract infections (URTIs), such as coryza (the common cold), acute pharyngitis and acute tracheobronchitis, are the most common of all communicable diseases and represent the most frequent cause of short-term absenteeism from work and school. The vast majority are caused by viruses and, in adults, are usually short-lived and rarely serious. Acute coryza is the most common URTI and is usually the result of rhinovirus infection. In addition to general malaise, acute coryza typically causes nasal discharge, sneezing and cough. Involvement of the pharynx results in a sore throat, and that of the larynx a hoarse or lost voice. Rhinosinusitis typically causes a combination of nasal congestion, blockage or discharge and may be accompanied by facial pain/pressure or loss of smell. Examination usually confirms erythematous swollen nasal mucosa and pus may be evident
NONSPECIFIC INFECTIONS OF THE UPPER RESPIRATORY TRACT URI – the principal signs and symptoms of Nonspecific URI include rhinorrhea (with or without purulence), nasal congestion, cough, and sore throat. Other manifestations, such as fever, malaise, sneezing, lymphadenopathy, and hoarseness, are more variable, with fever more common among infants and young children. This varying presentation may reflect differences in host response as well as in infecting organisms; myalgias and fatigue,
Common cold – Acute infections of the upper respiratory tract are among the most common afflictions of humans, most frequently manifesting as the “common cold.” The clinical features are well known: nasal congestion accompanied by watery discharge; sneezing; scratchy, dry sore throat; and a slight increase in temperature that is more pronounced in young children. In addition to the common cold, infections of the upper respiratory tract may produce signs and symptoms localized to the pharynx, epiglottis, or larynx. When the entire disorders discussed above,
See under the Etiology point of view the aggravating causes are allergen, virus and bacteria are found. Allergen, viral and bacterial infection effect much more commonly upper respiratory tract in the routine environmental condition. The observation are focused on the i.e. Acute Rhinitis (Common Cold), Upper Respiratory Tract Infections (URTIs),Nasal polyps and Deviated septum.
The Continues observation of drug response during the course of one years in the altered weather condition of all age group on the 88 case on mentioned point , finding are occurred mention below in table.
|S.No||Disorder||No of case||Result|
|01||Nasal polyps and Deviated septum ( age 13years female to 59 years male)||20||Rapid response|
|02||Throat disorders include nasal congestion(age 4month to 70years male)||56||Moderate response|
|03||Ear discharge both are adult||02||No significant response|
|04||Pain at upper abdomen (epigastrium region )(age 10years to 50years )||10||No response|
During the course of above observation the following finding are seen
- The cases of nasal polyp with Deviated septum are responded rapidly in the all age group.
- The all case of Throat disorders include nasal congestion are moderately response.
- The discharge of ear shows no significant change in the 5-6 days
- The pain of upper abdomen shows no any amelioration within the 1-2 days.
Discussion & Conclusion
1) the most of the patients comes with the chief complain of the sneezing, recurrent cough with chronic tendency and on examination the presence of nasal congestion with or without polyp & Deviated septum except in the pediatric case (in this case nasal congestion with nasal block during sleep) are occur ,in many cases nasal congestion along with throat congestion .
2) The cases of polyp with Deviated septum are responded, and frequently it is seen that the dry and thin discharge patient inform slow response, and disorder with thick discharge show the quick response, and when the drug given with the other medicine like belladonna /hepar sul /ferrum phos/aconitum nap facilitated its activity and reduce the burning and Irritation nature of discharge and mucus membrane.
3) Many adult patient gives the pervious positive culture and sensitive report(gram positive bacterial) of nasal discharge or throat swab with increased neutrophil count in the blood investigation .( Note –S. aureus is both a commensal and an opportunistic pathogen.Approximately 30% of healthy persons are colonized with S. aureus, with a smaller percentage (~10%) persistently colonized. The anterior nares and oropharynx are frequent sites of human colonization, although the skin (especially when damaged), vagina, axilla, and perineum may also be colonized.)
4)The potency 30th is beneficial for only in the pediatric patient while 200th show the marked response in the all age group , and repetition of the dose in the bid manner shows sufficient amelioration except in the marked aggravated condition , in aggravation and starting stage it needs tid for first or second day and then continuous in the bid frequency .
5) When the medicine gives continuous 4-6 days, its main effect found to alteration in the constitution of discharge from thick to thin along with alteration in the colour of the discharge, if the congestion and burning nature of mucus membrane is not marked or reduce by the help of other medicine mentioned previously then the medicine solitarily sufficient to stop the discharge .
6) The case of the pediatrics patient come with the enlarged associated lymph node are shown good result for normalize the growth of node but they need continue the remedy i.e. up to 7-15 days.
8) It is the common observation that the dryness of nasal mucus member or the thin discharge is indication of the allergy or viral etiology while the thick or purulent discharge is due to the bacterial involvement in the disorder.
9) During the study of this medicine the most of the materia madica shows the absence of the allergy skin disorder like urticaria and skin rash of the viral origin .
10) non response of the medicine on the upper abdomen pain and vomiting in the case of gastritis , but in the few materia madica give the statement “Vomiting an hour after food” and this condition is resembled with the food poisoning condition of Staphylococcal aureus(Note-Food poisoning S. aureus is among the most common causes of food borne outbreaks of infection in the United States. Staphylococcal food poisoning results from the inoculation of Toxin-producing S. aureus into food by colonized food handlers. Toxin is then elaborated in such growth-promoting food as custards, potato salad, or processed meats. Even if the bacteria are killed by warming, the heat-stable toxin is not destroyed. The onset of illness is rapid, occurring within 1–6 h of ingestion. The illness is characterized by nausea and vomiting, although diarrhea, hypotension, and dehydration may also occur.)
11) The observation of effect shows the medicine creating favourable atmosphere in the body to inhibit the growth of bacteria (bacteriostatic) or destroys the bacterial population (bactericidal). but for better information to confirm it , the necessary needs to all patient treated on the above mentioned complain and rest totality of medicine is investigated in the following way i.e. CBC, Culture & sensitivity test of discharge or throat swab, X-ray PNS & chest PA view along the pulse and temperature recording.
12) This medicine is the study in the 3rd year BHMS in materia madica as per CCH regulation and
13) CCRH recommended this drug in 6, 30 & 200 potency in essential drug list published in 2017
1) Davidson Principal & practice of medicine 23nd Edition
2) Harrison’s PRINCIPLES OF INTERNAL MEDICINE 19th Edition
3) Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease. – 10th Edition
4) Text Book of Pathology 6th Edition Harsh Mohan
5) Diseases of Ear, Nose and Throat P L Dhingra 3rd Edition
6) Pocket manual of Homoeopathic meteria medica with repertory. W.Boericke
7) A Dictionary of Practical materia medica vol Ist By Clarke J H
8) Encyclopedia of Pure Materia Medica vol 01 by Allen T F
9) Concise materia madica of hom.remedies by S R Phatak
10) C Hering guiding symptoms of our materia medica
11) A Text Book of Materia Medica and therapeutics by A W Cowperthwaite
12) Lectures on Homoeopathy by Kent J T
13) CCH & CCRH guide line
Dr Puneet Kumar Misra
Lecturer(Practice of Medicine)
Govt Pt J LN H M C Kanpur