Dr Puneet Kumar Misra
Mag Phos gives the improvement in the acute and chronic trouble of the abdomen distance, which represents a functional disturbance with main disorder of indigestion is the constipation, and flatulence is associated with belching abdominal distension and passage of flatus per rectum constantly, but belching give no amelioration. It shows that main effect of drug mainly centered on the large intestine and entire disorder associated with it.
Key words – abdomen distance, constipation, flatulence, belching,
Introduction – when the mag phos totality are study or describe in the different materia medica it is found that most of materia medica claim the main point is “ it is anti –spasmodic remedy ,cramp and relieved by warmth” and patient’s relief or Amelioration by the forwards bending from complaint .
Fact present in the materia madica
1) Allen’s key notes – Spasms or cramp of stomach, with clean tongue, as if a band was drawn tightly around the body. Colic: flatulent, forcing patient to bend double; >. By heat, rubbing and hard pressure [Col., Plumb.];
2) A dictionary of practical Materia Medica Clarke vol 2nd It will cure: Headache, toothache, pains in limbs when of this kind, also cramps in stomach, pains in abdomen usually radiating from umbilical region, better by hot drinks, by bending double, by pressing on abdomen with the hand, sometimes accompanied with watery diarrhoea.
Abdomen -Abdominal muscles sore, with tendency to constipation. Colic: generally radiating
From navel, better bending double, or from pressure with hand, often accompanied by watery diarrhoea.
3) Pocket Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica by W.Boericke. Abdomen ENTERALGIA, relieved by pressure. FLATULENT COLIC, FORCING PATIENT TO BEND DOUBLE; RELIEVED BY RUBBING, WARMTH, PRESSURE; ACCOMPANIED WITH BELCHING OF GAS, WHICH GIVES NO RELIEF. BLOATED, FULL SENSATION IN ABDOMEN; MUST LOOSEN CLOTHING, WALK ABOUT, AND CONSTANTLY PASS FLATUS. Constipation in rheumatic subjects due to flatulence and indigestion.
4) C hering guiding symptoms of our materia medica #Abdomen Cramps is abdomen; pains around navel and above it towards stomach, from there radiating to both sides towards back; violent cutting pains, so that she has to scream out, then shooting and
violently contracting; better by bending double or by pressure with hand, external warmth and eructations; cannot lie on back stretched out. Cramps and wind colic, often accompanied by watery diarrhoea.
5) phatak – #Abdomen Enteralgia; flatulent colic; better bending double; rubbing;
warmth; pressure; with eructations which may or may not relieve. Bloated full sensation in abdomen; must loosen the clothes; walk about, and constantly pass flatus. *Cutting into thighs. Abdomen contracted. Diarrhoea ceases; spasms or other brain troubles set in.
6) Kents lecturer- Pain at the pit of the stomach. Spasms of the stomach with clean tongue. Colic ameliorated by doubling up, like <Coloc.,> and ameliorated by heat. The colic is not so markedly relieved by heat in <Coloc.,> but is relieved by pressure. Distension of the abdomen and flatulence, with much pain. <Radiating pains in the abdomen.> Compelled to walk and groan from pain.
7) Pearls of homoeopathy by douglass M.E – Enteralgia. Flatulent colic forcing patient to bend double, relieved by rubbing, warmth, pressure, accompanied with belching of gas which gives no relief. Flatulent colic of children and the new-born. Bloated, full sensation in abdomen; must loosen clothing, walk about, and constantly pass flatus.
Analysis of review fact in the materia madica
The details of symptoms of medicine in above materia medica and review the all fact with mentioned point, it is found that the mag phos having marked effect on the large intestine disorder along with mild to moderate effect on the small intestine as well as on the stomach .
Dyspepsia describes symptoms such as discomfort, bloating and nausea, which are thought to originate from the upper gastrointestinal tract. Dyspepsia affects up to 80% of the population at some time in life and most patients have no serious underlying disease.
Visceral. Gut organs are insensitive to stimuli such as burning and cutting but are sensitive to distension, contraction, twisting and stretching. Pain from unpaired structures is usually, but not always, felt in the midline
Parietal. The parietal peritoneum is innervated by somatic nerves and its involvement by inflammation, infection or neoplasia causes sharp, well-localised and lateralised pain.
Diarrhoea is defined as the passage of more than 200 g of stool daily and measurement of stool volume is helpful in confirming this. The most severe symptom in many patients is urgency of defecation, and faecal incontinence is a common event in acute and chronic diarrhoeal illnesses.
Constipation is defined as infrequent passage of hard stools. Patients may also complain of straining, a sensation of incomplete evacuation and either perianal or abdominal discomfort. Constipation may occur in many gastrointestinal and other medical disorders
Altered Bowel Habits Altered bowel habits are common complaints of patients with GI disease. Constipation is reported as infrequent defecation, straining with defecation, passage of hard stools, or a sense of incomplete fecal evacuation. Causes of constipation include obstruction, motor disorders of the colon, medications, and endocrine diseases such as hypothyroidism and hyperparathyroidism. Diarrhea is reported as frequent defecation, passage of loose or watery stools, fecal urgency, or a similar sense of incomplete evacuation. The differential diagnosis of diarrhea is broad and includes infections, inflammatory causes, malabsorption, and medications. Irritable bowel syndrome produces constipation, diarrhea, or an alternating bowel pattern. Fecal mucus is common in irritable bowel syndrome, whereas pus characterizes inflammatory disease. Steatorrhea develops with malabsorption.
The Continues observation of drug response during the course of one years in the altered weather in the age group of 07years Childs to 80years elders on the 79 case on mentioned chief complaint are given in table.
|S.No||Disorder||Age||No of case||Result|
|01||Spasmodic cough without GI disorder||23 years to 59 years||07||Mild response|
|02||Pain in lower abdomen with UTI||18years to 80years||09||No response|
|03||Pain in upper abdomen due to stomach||10 years to 79 years||23||Mild to Moderate response|
|04||Pain in lower abdomen with mild constipation||7years to 79 years||40||Moderate to marked response|
- Most of the patient comes with abdomen discomfort unaware regarding distention or bloated tendency and its location in the abdomen.
- When cough is associated with GI disorder patient improve mildly but cough without the GI disorder and originated due to other cause having no improvement
- During treatment it is found that patient comes with abdomen discomfort feels mild response when discomfort on upper abdomen or at left side.
- The medicine are ineffective in the case of Nausea without persistent upper abdomen distention
- When The lower abdomen discomfort with urinary tract disorder the drug are ineffective alone or with other drug
- When The lower abdomen discomfort with hard stool disorder the drug are effective alone or with other drug, and most of the patient explain the distention of the abdomen mainly on the both lateral side include the below the naval region
- The hard stool disorder effectively treated with 30 c in the case of kids while in the adult 200c is more effective and shows the effect within 2-3 days
- The dose of medicine after breakfast and after dinner is more effective instead of only night dose
- This medicine facilitate the action of other medicine like nux vomica ,mere cor in case of lower abdomen distention with GI involvement or intestinal cramp.
- The limb disorder particularly lower limb pain or cramp or weakness is start to improve when distention of abdomen reduce with improve in the stool disorder
The study of the mag phos shows that the major action of this medicine are centered on the digestive tract ,mainly on the intestinal disorder which are originated due to the large intestine , and disorder of the rest part of the body i.e. head , limbs which are associated with it.
- Davidson Sir Stanley. Davidson Principal & Practice of medicine. #23nd Edition. Elsevier Ltd; 2018. Page 779,786,787
- Harrison T. R. Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine. #19 Editions. By McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. page 263,264,285,1877
- Dr Robert Hutchison .Hutchison’s Clinical Methods. #24th editions . Elsevier Ltd; 2018.Page 241,242
- H C allen. Allen’ s keynotes and characteristics with comparisons. # 49th impression. New Delhi: B Jain publishers (p) Ltd; 2018. Page no 194
- Dr W Boericke. Boerickes new manual of homoeopathic materia medica with repertory. # 41st impression. Delhi: B Jain publishers (p) Ltd; 2018. Page no
- Dr John Henry Clarke. A Dictionary of Practical materia medica vol 2nd. #Reprint edition1999. New Delhi. B Jain publishers Pvt.Ltd; 1999. Page 370,374
- Dr James Tyler Kent. Lectures on homeopathic materia medica . # Reprint edition2006. Delhi: B Jain publishers (p) Ltd; 2006.page 721
- Dr S R Phatak. Materia Medica of Homeopathic Medicine. # 2nd revised & enlarged Edition New Delhi: B Jain publishers (p) Ltd; 2018. Page no 194 page 251
- Dr C.hering. The guiding symptoms of our materia medica Volume VII. #12th impression. New Delhi: B Jain publishers (p) Ltd; 2005. Page no 251
Dr Puneet Kumar Misra
Lecturer(Practice of Medicine)
Govt Pt J LN H M C Kanpur