Dr Mansoor Ali K R
How to practice Homoeopathy, Ayurveda and other alternative systems in UAE
In order to practice Homeopathy and other alternative medicines in UAE we need a recognized qualification in specific course. Then they should obtain a license from the Ministry of Health (MOH) through the TCAM exam. After getting the license one should register for permission from the respective local governments (municipalities) depending upon in which emirate of UAE (the country of UAE is made up of seven emirates) you intent to practice and one will get this permission only after getting the license from MOH.
Exam date for 2018
Written test date:
February 6th, 2018
April 10th, 2018
Novemeber 4th 2018
February 15th, 2018
April 12th, 2018
Note : The date and venue of exam can be changed as per MOH discretion. You can choose examination date when you register online.
Guideline to Candidates
- A comprehensive and up to date knowledge in Practice of medicine and Community Medicine (SPM) is necessary.
- Davidson is the approved text by MOH
- No Homoeopathic / Alternative medicine questions during the theory exams, but liberally during interview.
- Questions are MCQ (multiple choice questions) type with 4/5 answers.
- Remember all the answers are more or less similar but only one is similmum.
- Recently pattern of questions entirely changed – 60 MCQ (for 40marks) and 40 short answer type questions ( for 60 marks) were asked.
- Written Examination would be common for all the Alternative Medicine disciplines. This examination would be Multiple Choice, of not less than two hours duration. Candidates should be familiar with prevalence of common diseases in the UAE and the Gulf and should have adequate knowledge of public health principles, necessary for any General Practice.
- Latest investigative procedures and normal biochemical values in International Units are asked for theory and viva.
The written exam shall include testing in
- The basic sciences including but not limited to anatomy, physiology, bacteriology, pathology, hygiene, and chemistry as related to human body or mind.
- The clinical sciences, nutrition, preventive and public health medicine
- Professional ethics and any other subjects that the examining board may deem advisable
Multiple Choice Written Examinations
The written exam generally consists of Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs). Short-answer-objective type questions and questions based on diagrams/pictures/images depicting medical conditions may be also included in the written exam. MCQs may be structured in such a way that only one answer would be correct, in such a case there would be no negative markings. There may also be MCQs with multiple correct answers. In such a case, there would be negative marking for wrong answers chosen. Instructions for each type of MCQs would be clearly given during the examination time.
Candidates who successfully pass the written examination would be called for interview in their field of specialty. An examination board consisting of professionals from different specialties conducts the interviews. As per needs and requirements, the examination board may invite TCAM professionals from the private sector to assist in conducting the interviews.
Successful candidates who have passed both written and oral/practical examinations would then be awarded the license to practice in their field of specialty.
You have to appear for an interview in front of a panel of experts with original documents.
For example, Chinese medicine practitioners would be interviwed by Traditional Chinese Medicine examining committee. Likewise other practitioners such as Chiropractors, Homeopaths, Herbalists, etc. would be sent to special interviewing committees. This would be held as soon as possible after results are announced. (Usually within a week).
- SARP (C.K.Sinha)- PG medical admission test – for last moment revision
- Salgunan- Post graduate Medical entrance review
- FORD.M.J -1000 MCQ for Davidson- principles & practice of medicines
- Rapid Access Guide to Alternative Medicine Exam in UAE
- Collection of Multiple Choice and Descriptive questions with answers in Medicine for competitive examinations
- Study materials available in http://www.homeobook.com
- Study materials available in http://www.surgical-tutor.org.uk
- Study materials available at http://www.webhealthcentre.com/mcq/postreg.asp
Pre-Application Form for Candidates interested to apply for Complementary and Alternative Medicine Examination please visit : http://www.moh.gov.ae/en/Page_953.aspx
The following documents should be submitted along with the application form:
- Evaluation application form.
- Curriculum Vitae (C.V).
- Copies of academic certificates provided the originals are attested by the official authorities.
- Copies of experience certificates provided the originals are attested by the official authorities.
- Copy of registration in the relevant syndicate in the applicant’s country of origin.
- Personal declaration.
- List of referable researches, studies and sources (for doctors, specialist technicians and consultants).
- Established fees payment receipt.
- Curriculum Vitae (preferably one page)
- Passport Copy and Three (3) recent passport size colour photographs
- Copy of mark sheets / Transcripts for each year or semester (Authenticated or Certified true copy by the college or a Notary Officer)
- Copy of Internship completion Certificate (Authenticated or Certified true copy by the college or a Notary Officer)
- Copies of Diplomas and Degrees (Authenticated/attested by the Ministry of Higher Education and the UAE Embassy in the country where Degree has been awarded)
- A practical short duration training course certificate is required in any one of the Emergency Care courses such as: Advance Life Support, First Aid Course, or CPR. The training should have been done from an authorized training centre in the UAE or abroad, like Red Crescent Society, Red Cross Society, or any Major Hospitals, etc. (Distant Education Courses and Online internet courses would not be accepted)
- Experience letters/certificates in your field of specialty, including the date of appointment and termination of duties.
Now apply online
- Registration Fees would be accepted only by E-Dirham, which could be purchased through any of the local banks.
- Registration would start at 8:00 a.m to 12:00 noon.
- Only 75 applications would be registered per registration day.
- Maximum number of seats for each cycle of TCAM examination would be 150 persons.
- Those who had failed the previous exam can bring their registration slip and register again, for this exam.
Number of Seats
- Maximum number of seats for each cycle of TCAM examination would be 150 persons.
- Number of attempts : 3 attempts are possible
- After getting MOH license you need to get attached to the concerned Emirates Ministry of health where you are going to get placed.
- Usually 2 exams are conducted per year.
- You have only 3 chances to win/attend
- 80-90% marks in theory is necessary for in attending the interview
Venue of Exam
MOHAP Training and Development Center,
Maliha Road,University City,Sharjah, UAE
Phone:06 594 2600
Timing: 7:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Venue of Interview
Al Owais Hall- Al Baraha Hospital-Dubai,
Khaleej Al arabi, Al Baraha,Deira – Dubai, UAE
Phone:04 271 0000
Help desk : : +971 4 3969739 /306 6322
Certificate attestation & Submission
Your BHMS degree certificate should be attested by embassy of UAE in your country . For this you have to send – Internship certificate, degree certificate, final year mark list, registration certificate ( medical council) and Transcript ( obtained from the university in which you have got BHMS or equivalent certificate ) through an approved Travel agency or directly.
Minimum time required for this : 10-18 days
Electronic Dirham 100 should be paid there.
Arrange Visa, flight ticket, accommodation etc at your own risk and expense .
A minimum of 10-15 days stay is required.
- 2 years after Degree or 3 Years after Diploma
- UAE national Doctors are exempted from the (2) years’ experience condition, hence the year of internship is sufficient for evaluation.
- Excellent command of English language (written and spoken) is a condition
Ranking/License to practice/Certificates
For those who secure higher marks will be awarded Independent Practice Certificate. For others Under the Clinic license only.
Upon the recommendation of the examination committee, the evaluation committee grants one of the following options according to the qualifications, experiences and results of written and oral examinations:
- Allowed to work in a medical center
- Allowed to work independently
- Allowed to work under supervision in the same specialty
Job in UAE
At present no government jobs are available for Alternative medicine people at UAE. But you can earn much from your private practice or attached to many poly clinics ir hospitals.
1. Who is eligible to sit for C.A.M Practioner’s Examination?
a. Alternative Medicine Degree holders (MD in a branch of Alternative Medicine, DC, DO, BHMS, BAMS, BUMS, BAc, BSc Hom, BTCM, etc.)
b. Medical Degree holders (MBBS, MBBCh, MD, etc.) having a postgraduate Diploma or Certificate of not less than Two Years full time duration, in any branch of Alternative Medicine, wishing to practice Alternative Medicine only. (Those who wish to practice modern medicine in addition to Alternative medicine should first successfully pass regular MOH, GP Examinations.)
c. Allied Health Specialists and Graduates that are recognized by the Health Ministry for example Nurses, Dieticians and Nutritionists, Occupational Therapists and Physiotherapists, having successfully completed a course in a branch of Alternative Medicine, of no less than 3 Years full time duration, from recognized Institutions, would be also considered on individual basis to sit for the examinations.
a. Diplomas, Degrees or other certificates should be issued from recognized universities or institutions which are authorized by the higher education authorities in a country to award certificates of competence or course completion at the end of the course.
b. Correspondence Courses, Distant Learning Certificates, and Certificates from unrecognized institutions shall not be accepted.
c. Applicants should be fluent in Arabic and/or English. Written Examinations are in English.
d. Internship period should be in a related Alternative Medicine Hospital or Clinic. If no internship was done, then two years of experience equals to One year of internship.
Revised guide lines – Documents required for Alternative medicine practitioner exam at UAE
Attestations required are
b)Ministry of External Affairs /Foreign affairs/HRD
c)Ministry of Education/Regional Attestation Centers-(RAC)
d)U.A.E. Foreign Office (in U.A.E.)
A, B, & C attestations are required from country where Degree has been obtained.
Attestations required are
A) U.A.E. Embassy
B) Ministry of External Affairs/Foreign affairs/HRD
C) UA.E. Foreign office (in U.A.E.)
A & B attestations are required from country where you are registered as practitioner.
4. Mark list/Transcripts – NO. 3 & 4 to be attested by College /University
5.Experience Certificate – To be attested by Local Court/Magistrate /Public Notary in country where experience has been gained.
6.CPR/First Aid Certificate Course– from MOH recognized institute
(Please contact Dr Marwan Mohamed on 04-2301437/050-8760741)
9.Passport Copy with Visa Page
10.Exam Fees -50 Dhs. (E-Dhs)
How to transfer your TCAM license to HAAD (Health Authority of Abu Dhabi)
A candidate who has received Evaluation Certificate can work anywhere within U.A.E, after obtaining a LICENSE from regional Health Authorities such as HAAD-Health Authority Abu Dhabi for Abu Dhabi, DHA-Dubai Health Authority for Dubai region,
If you want to establish a practice in Northern Emirates like Sharjah, Ajman, Ummul Quwain, Ras al Khaimah, Fujairah then regional Ministry of Health Offices will be responsible bodies to issue you the license to practice in those particular areas.
You must also get the PSV (Primary Sourse Verification) from the Dataflow team, and upload it together with MOH Evaluation certificate form the MOH Autority.
Registration link : https://www.haad.ae/haad/tabid/1055/Default.aspx
TCAM and other Exam Schedule Abu Dhabi : https://www.haad.ae/haad/tabid/199/Default.aspx
Web site of MOH www.moh.gov.ae