Dr Hafiza Malik MD(Hom.),
Autism Spectrum Disorders. Another condition that is neurodevelopment in origin is ASDs, a complex and heterogeneous group of disorders characterized by abnormalities in social interaction and communication and the presence of restricted or repetitive interests and activities. In the last edition of DSM (DSM-IV), the ASDs included classic autistic disorder, Asperger syndrome, and pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified. (KAPLAN)*
How do diagnose Autism according to DSM-5*?
Deficits(deficiency) in social-emotional reciprocity, ranging, for example, from abnormal social approach and failure of normal back-and-forth conversation; to reduced sharing of interests, emotions, or affect; to failure to initiate or respond to social interactions, from poorly integrated verbal and nonverbal communication; to abnormalities in eye contact and body language or deficits in understanding and use of gestures to a total lack of facial expressions and nonverbal communication also Deficits in developing, maintaining, and understanding relationships, ranging, for example, from difficulties adjusting behaviour to suit various social contexts; to difficulties in sharing imaginative play or in making friends; to absence of interest in peers.
Homoeopathy literature for mental retardness in children/special children
The use of specific homoeopathic, organopathic, and various other constitutional remedies systematically administered, so as to rectify the wrong underlying the said backwardness, to cure the diseased organs or parts, to rouse them medicinally from torpidity, or to cure the diseases of the individual as an entity, or to get rid of the perverted or other morbid conditions due to hereditary, diseases and traits, or to shocks, falls, blows, fits, or other previously overcome accidents and diseases. – Dr. J.C.Burnett.*
There are cases we needs special approach in order to understand the patient. Analysis of family dynamics in such approach. We get deeper knowledge about the family interaction an history of family, family system energy, and repeated patterns of behaviour. This helps us to get a better idea about similimum, posology and long term management of the case.
In order to understand the child with Autism, it is most important to focus on family dynamics i.e How the child behaves in the presence of different family members?.How they behave in the presence of the child. ? Which family members is most caring, most anxious or most indifferent?
For successful treatment
We need to know family dynamics prior and during pregnancy, after delivery and after the family realizes that the child is “ with specials needs”.
The basic emotional needs of a child are emotional security in the form of parental love, the first and foremost amongst the needs of a child. The child needs confidence in his parents and home.
This basic set-up is the one thing that contributes to the growth and welfare of the child.
The environment of play or educational area also adds in the treatment of child as the environment he plays or goes for education or vocational or occupational training consumes most of the time of day in such Children.
The role of caregivers in the form of teachers, house help, parents, grandparetns or housemaids is also of significant importance.
How to select the most similimum medicine in homeopathy in opd cases
Homoeopathic medicines which can be used for symptoms of autism according to the law of similia.
A objective signs are given below with the indicated remedies.
- Alum: Slow comprehension and execution; difficult expression.
- Amb g: Questions without waiting for answers; Impaired thinking.
- Bar. c: Dwarfism mentally and physically; late learning to talk; fears; aversion to strangers; shy; cannot learn, cannot remember; stupid expression, staring; cling to mother; emotional level too is dwarfism. Bar c. will allow the doctor to examine, while Hep, Nat m., Sulphur, Tarent will make a fuss.
- Calc.: Intelligent but slow comprehension and execution; soft, cold hands
- Chin: Nervous irritability, excitement; intolerance to noise.
- Cupr: Bites, fears, beats; violent behaviour; foolish gestures; puts out tongue; does not recognize parents.
- Elap: Irresistible desire to scream; fear of rain; can speak but cannot understand what he said.
- Lyss: Child may develop fear of water, convulsions etc. From dog bite of mother during pregnancy.
- Merc: licks nasal discharge; eats excreta.
- Nat. S: Mental symptoms follow head injury or concussion.
- Nux M: Drowsy and sleepy; stupor (insensibility); absent minded; indifferent.
- Sil: Over defensive when faced with forceful personality. Monomania.
- Lyco: Dreads the presence of new person. Fear of undertaking anything. Frightened at trifles.
- Bufo: Propensity to bite. Impatient, nervous, imbecile. Desire for solitude. Feeble mind.Med: weak memory. Can not concentrate. Forgets names, word, her errand. Can not finish sentences. Loss of thread of conversation. Things seem strange. Sensitive, nervous and impulsive.
- Lac can: introverted. Daydreaming. Everything seems unreal.
- Tub: sensitive to noise, every trifle irritates. Fits of violent temper; throws anything at any one; even without a cause. Restlessness.
- Kali brom: loss of memory. Must do something-move about; gets fidgety. Amnesic aphasia; can pronounce any word told, but cannot speak otherwise.
- Carcinosin: fright, fear or anxiety. long lasting domination by others. Artistic aptitude. Temper tantrum.
- Hura: biting hands, himself, nails. Absent minded. Difficulty in comprehending. mother in stressful condition during pregnancy.
- Zincum met : Questions before answering. Keeps on repeating the same words.
Use of various homeopathic repertories viz. complete repertory , synthesis repertory, Murphy repertory in forming the reportorial totality of the symptoms observed in opd of special children(special schools , ngo, vitality homeopathic clinic)
Dr. Hafiza Malik MD(Hom.),
Assistant professor, Dept of Practice of medicine
Vidhyadeep homeopathic College kim, Surat.
Consultant chief Homoeopath at Vitality Homeopathic Clinic.Surat.
Be the first to comment