Dr Vibhuti J. Chavda
The main objective was to study the effect of Indian drugs Abroma Augusta, Cephalandra Indica, Gymnema Sylvestre in cases of Diabetes Mellitus type II. Another important objective was to compare the effects of only Allopathic, only Homoeopathy & combined (Allopathic along with Homoeopathic) treatment in cases of Diabetes Mellitus type II.
Setting and design:
The study was Prospective, Analytical & Comparative. A clinical study was conducted in which total 50 experimental samples were purposively selected from the 4 project sites, Smt. S. I. Patel (Ipcowala) Homoeopathic Hospital, Amul Dairy Road, Anand, Rural OPD centres situated at Bhadran and Borsad and Shraddha hospital, Anand.
Materials and methods:
50 samples were selected through random sampling method with fulfilment of inclusion and exclusion criteria. Data collection was done with the Personal Interview Method according to guidelines given in Organon of medicine, book by Dr. Hahnemann. Remedy profile of Abroma Augusta, Cephalandra Indica and Gymnema Sylvester were prepared from available data during Review of Literature with specially prepared case Performa and Scoring systems were selected as tools for data collection. The remedy was selected on the basis of totality of symptoms and individualization. Repetition and follow ups were decided according to need of particular case.
Paired t- test was done in Microsoft Excel using Pre- Treatment and Post- Treatment Score from Specially Prepared Scoring System.
- Out of 10 cases of Abroma Augusta, Maximum 6(60%) cases showed moderate improvement followed by 2(20%) cases with mild improvement and 1(10%) case was status quo.
- Out of 10 cases of Cephalandra Indica, Maximum 6(60%) cases showed moderate improvement followed by 3(30%) cases with mild improvement.
- Out of 10 cases of Gymnema Sylvester, Maximum 5(50%) cases had moderate improvement followed by 3(30%) cases with mild improvement 1(10%) case with status quo were observed.
- Out of 10 cases on combined (Allopathic along with Homoeopathic) treatment Maximum 4(40%) cases with significant improvement followed by 4(40%) cases with moderate improvement and 2(20%) cases with mild improvement were observed.
- Another results related to only allopathic treatment were also obtained and comparative analysis was done among all study arms.
In the course of the study, it was found that there was significant
improvement in the symptoms and general health of the patients with the help of combined treatment. Another important finding of study was efficacy of Homoeopathy in management of Diabetes Mellitus type II with effective management of acute complaints arises with Diabetes Mellitus type II.
Keywords: Abroma Augusta, Cephalandra Indica, Gymnema Sylvester, Diabetes Mellitus Type II, Allopathy.