Dr Jaimin R Chotaliya
Present era is full of factual Knowledge and Scientific explanations. In this modern era, reasoning and analytical thought pattern occupies its own unique space in every mind. This is true for medical science also which is based on firm scientific ground. Homoeopathy is one of the parts of this medical science and known for its gentle healing and holistic approach. Since its birth to till date, Homoeopathy still proves its efficacy in treatment of various diseases but as per the present scenario it has to show some scientific data to prove its efficacy in treatment. Symptom Scoring is a new tool that becomes a part of Homeopathic science in management aspect. So, it’s imperative to study its relationship between Homoeopathy and this new tool to get more insight into scientific aspects of Homoeopathy.
Keywords: Homoeopathy, Symptom Scoring, Assessment
Symptom Scoring: In order to understand the term symptom scoring, one has to understand the meaning of symptoms and scoring separately.
Symptoms are manifestation of disease condition. Their presence indicates altered state of life (i. e. Disease). As mentioned by Dr. Hahnemann in his Organon of Medicine, Physician must be acquainted with these Symptom Phenomena in Disease in order to fulfill his mission of Holistic Cure.
Symptoms could be considered as a primary unit of Medical Science as work and methods of medical science directed towards Symptomatology manifested by various disease conditions. From Diagnosis to Prognosis and management, symptoms become sole guide to Physician for his healing work.
Medical Science contains various healing methods with their own unique techniques to manage illness. Understanding of symptoms by these various healing methods differ from each other based on their concept of healing. For example, Allopathic/Modern Medicine considered symptoms as manifestation of localized disturbances and directed their healing methods to particular localized part. While in Homoeopathic science one must try to gain understanding regarding origin of symptoms i.e. dynamic level disturbances before localization of disease. These give deeper and holistic understanding of Sick man and directed their healing methods towards Sick man rather than local part.
Understanding of symptoms may be differing between healing methods but their prime concern remains the same i. e. to treat altered state of Life and symptoms help them to get their work done.
Scoring System: According to Merriam Webster Dictionary, Scoring indicates “A number that expresses accomplishment (as in game or test) or excellence (as in quality) either absolutely in points gained or by comparison to a standard.” (1) Above definition of Scoring clearly indicates its domain i. e. mathematics. Mathematics deals with facts and numbers that help us to understand the concept clearly with logical explanations. Inclusions of this Scoring method with understanding of symptoms help us to achieve our mission of cure with more accurate steps. These will not only guide us regarding the alteration produced in health by our methods in order to cure the sick but also shows level of accomplishment in healing methods. This will help us to verify our methods and encourage one to improve if needed.
Symptoms Scoring and Medical Science: In Medical Science, Treatment of various disease conditions/syndromes contains their own unique symptom scoring scale that indicates the alteration in its management part. Health Institutes and authorities in field of healing prepare symptom scoring scale for various disease conditions according to disease symptoms and intensity of manifested symptoms. This will not only help us to understand the extent of healing in course of treatment but also present itself as strong scientific data that helps physician to shows efficacy of his methods in treatment of disease particular condition. In this way, Symptom scoring makes its unique place as scientific tool to prove efficacy of Medical Science in the world.
Example of articles with Symptom Scoring in Medical Science:
- Lipid profile and lipoprotein (a) as a risk factor for cardiovascular disease in women with subclinical hypothyroidism. (2)
- Symptom scoring systems to diagnose distal polyneuropathy in diabetes: the Diabetic Neuropathy Symptom score. (3)
- A symptom scoring tool for identifying pediatric patients with eosinophilic esophagitis and correlating symptoms with inflammation. (4)
Symptom Scoring and Homoeopathy:
We have to accept the bitter truth that in spite of curing large number of sick people and serves humanity for more than a century, Homoeopathy is still considered as Pseudo-Science in Medical Field. Dynamic action of Homoeopathic Medicine is one of the unique features of Homoeopathic Science in Medical field but it also becomes one of the weak points for Homoeopathy. It is due to its inability to express its existence (action of Medicinal Substance in body) in terms of scientific terms.
Dr. Hahnemann mentioned about the importance of carefully studying symptomatology of sick where he said, “The physician whose researches are directed towards the hidden relations in the interior of the organism, may daily err; but the homoeopathist who grasps with requisite carefulness the whole group of symptoms, possesses a sure guide; and if he succeed in removing the whole group of symptoms he has likewise most assuredly destroyed the internal, hidden cause of the disease”.(5) So, Homoeopathic science focuses on Symptomatology of Sick Person in order to cure the diseased one.
Inclusion of Symptom Scoring in Homoeopathic science helps Homoeopathy to show action of Medicines in scientific language using alteration of symptoms as manifestation of prescribed medicinal action in terms of mathematical numbers.
Example of articles with symptom Scorings in Homoeopathy:
- Homeopathic constitutional type questionnaire correlates of conventional psychological and physical health scales: individual difference characteristics of young adults(6)
- The Homeopathic approach to symptom control in the cancer patient(7)
Conclusion: Inclusion of symptom Scoring not only help Physician in management point of view but also useful for diagnosis. Many Homoeopaths lacks skills of diagnosis and ultimately results in failure of case where symptoms scoring prove itself as supportive tool to improve case management and Clinical practice.
- Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary (10th ed.). (1999).
- Canturk Z, Cetinarslan B, Tarkun İ, Zafer Canturk N, Özden M. Lipid profile and lipoprotein (a) as a risk factor for cardiovascular disease in women with subclinical hypothyroidism. Endocrine research. 2003 Jan 1;29(3):307-16.
- Meijer JW, Smit AJ, Sonderen EV, Groothoff JW, Eisma WH, Links TP. Symptom scoring systems to diagnose distal polyneuropathy in diabetes: the Diabetic Neuropathy Symptom score. Diabetic Medicine. 2002 Nov;19(11):962-5.
- Aceves SS, Newbury RO, Dohil MA, Bastian JF, Dohil R. A symptom scoring tool for identifying pediatric patients with eosinophilic esophagitis and correlating symptoms with inflammation. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2009 Nov 1;103(5):401-6.
- Hahnemann Samuel, Organon of medicine. 5th and 6th edition, India: B.Jain Publishers Pvt.Ltd.
- Bell IR, Baldwin CM, Schwartz GE, Davidson JR. Homeopathic constitutional type questionnaire correlates of conventional psychological and physical health scales: individual difference characteristics of young adults. Homoeopathy. 2002 Apr 1;91(2):63-74.
- Thompson EA, Reilly D. The homeopathic approach to symptom control in the cancer patient: a prospective observational study. Palliative Medicine. 2002 Apr;16(3):227-33.
Dr. Jaimin R. Chotaliya M.D (Hom.)
Assistant Professor & Academic In-charge, Dept. of Repertory
Swami Vivekanand Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital,
Sidsar-Bhavnagar-Gujarat-India, Zip: 364060
Email: – firstname.lastname@example.org
Be the first to comment