ABSTRACT: Alcoholism is a common social problem which may be associated with risk factors and other co morbidities. Sudden cessation of alcohol intake results in withdrawal symptoms. Homeopathy is a holistic system of medicine in treatment of patients by individualization.
Alcoholics’ sometime compelled to take alcohol due to alcohol withdrawal symptoms. So homeopathic remedies help to control the withdrawal symptoms and same time reduce the craving towards alcohol.
Alcoholism is a common social problem, which may be associated with risk factors and other co morbidities. Risk factors for alcoholism are environmental factors like social, work, stress, cultural, modern life style and genetics.1
WHO has estimated that as of 2016, there were 380 million people with alcoholism worldwide 2
In India, the prevalence of alcohol consumption among adults above 18yrs of age was found to be 10% among males and 0.7% among females as per sample registration survey 2014.
ALCOHOLISM: it is a chronic disease characterized by a physical and psychological dependence on alcohol. People with an alcohol addiction need to drink in order to function.
ALCOHOL WITHDRAWL SYNDROME : A group of symptoms of variable clustering and degree of severity which occur on cessation or reduction of use of alcohol that has been taken repeatedly, usually for a prolonged period and or in high doses.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS:1
Signs and symptoms usually appear within 6-24hrs after cessation of drinking.
- Mental confusion
- Sleep disturbance
- Nausea, vomiting, dizziness, headache.
- Mood disorders etc
COMPLICATIONS: Alcoholic liver disease (ALD), Cirrhosis of liver (CLD), Hypertension (HTN), Stroke etc
GENERAL MANAGEMENT: Gradual decrease in intake of alcohol. Yoga, exercise, meditation.
Homeopathy is a holistic system of medicine based on principle “similia similibus curentur”.
Few studies have been conducted favoring homeopathic intervention.
A case series of 30 male patients were priscribed sulphur 3X, was able to shorten the alcohol withdrawl phase.1
Homeopathic constitutional medicines have wonderful result in alcoholism.An observational study of managing acute alcohol withdrawl with homeopathy shows significant result.1
Also we have some rare medicines indicated in cases of alcohol withdrawal or alcoholism.
RARE MEDICINES (3.4)
- Syphilinum: hereditary tendency to take alcohol. Antisocial, feels depressed as if going to insane or being paralyzed. delirium at night.
- Quercus: alcoholic effect results in slpeenic affections. It takes away the craving for alcoholic and antidotes the effects of alcohol. Diarrhea amel the all complaints.
- Sulphuric acid: craving for alcohol. Water causes coldness of stomach, must be mixed with liquors. Hiccough. Irritable, unwilling to answer.
- Ranunculus bulbus: bad effects of alcohol, results in delirium tremens, spasmodic hiccough, convulsions. Quarrelsome. Depression with desire to die.
- Strophanthus: nausea with disgust for alcohol. Functional disturbance of heart from alcohol. Loquacious, delusion of feels lifted up during sleeping. Given in mother tincture
- Avena sativa: it has selective action on nervous system, tremors, chorea, paralytic weakness, confusion of mind. Insomnia.
- Selenium: they desire for brandy and other strong drink. Alcoholics with chronic liver affections. Sleeplessness with lascivious thoughts.
- Zinc met: cannot tolerate small quantity of wine, hunger at 11am.trembling and twitching of various muscles. Constant motion of leg and feet, can’t keep still. Repeats the question before answering.
- Cannabis sativa: delirium, hallucinations, lectophobia, clairvoyance, laughs and weeps alternately, moaning and crying.
- Opium: feels drowsy but can’t sleep, disoriented, loss of consciousness, apoleptic state, delirious talking with eyes wide open. Nausea and vomiting with colic and convulsions.
- Capsicum: abstainers from accustomed alcoholics. Prostration and poor digestion of alcoholics. Sleeplessness, delirium tremens, depression with suicidal thoughts. Craving for stimulants, thirsty , if drinks causes shuddering
- Agaricus muscarius: loquacity, delirium characterized by singing, shouting, muttering. Tremors, injury to himself. Trembling, twitching, jerking of muscles. Chorea amel during sleep. Thirsty, eructation alternating with hiccough. dyspepsia with pain in liver region.
- Ichthyolum : alcoholism when nothing will stay on stomach
- Apomorphinum: combined alcoholism, with constant nausea, constipation, insomnia, delirious headache, extreme emaciation, hysteria. It contains emetic property so causes sudden rapid vomiting.
- Cimcifuga: mania from alcoholism. Tries to injure himself. Suspicious, all mental symptoms amel by discharges.
- Kola: remedy for drinking habit. It promotes appetite and digestion and lessens the craving for liquor
RUBRICS RELATED TO ALCOHOLISM IN VARIOUS REPERTORIES.
- MIND – ALCOHOLISM
- MIND – AILMENTS FROM – ALCOHOLISM
- MIND – DIPSOMANIA
- GENERALS –FAMILY HISTORY OF -ALCOHOLISM
- GENERALS –ALCOHOLIC STIMULANTS –AGG – INTOXICATED EASILY
- GENERALS – FOOD AND DRINKS – ALCOHOLIC DRINKS – AILMENTS FROM
- GENERALS – FOOD AND DRINKS – ALCOHOLIC DRINKS – AVERSION
- GENERALS – FOOD AND DRINKS – ALCOHOLIC DRINKS – DESIRE
- STOMACH – ALCOHOLIC DRINKS – AMEL
- Nayak D, Arora S, Singh U, Borah N, Thakur JN, Khurana A, Nair KR, Gupta J, Singh H, Kumar R, Nayak C. Managing acute alcohol withdrawal with Homoeopathy: A prospective, observational, multicentre exploratory study.
- Global status report on alcohol and health 2018.world health organization.2018.pp72,80.
- Clarke J H. Guaiacum officinale. A dictionary of practical material medica. First Indian.vol 1. New Delhi: Jain publishers; 1978.852-856.
- Boericke W. Guaiacum officinale. Pocket Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica.9e. New Delhi: B Jain publishers; 1984.279-280
Department of Materia medica
GHMC &H Bangalore