Book review on Index & repertory to the homoeopathic drug pictures of Dr ML Tyler NW Jollyman
Reviewed by Dr Chithra P
- Index – A guide to reach a way
- Repertory – kind of index, systematically & logically arranged like rubrics , subrubrics , gradations.
- Location, sensation, modalities to symptoms .
- It’s a guide to DR. M. L TYLER materia medica
ABOUT Dr. N.W JOLLYMAN
- Dr. Norman walter jollyman (1919-1995)
- Was practicing on Elton ,peterborough UK .
- Along with homoeopathy he was also using bach flower remedies .
- Iridology and kinesiology .
OTHER WORKS OF AUTHOR
- Index and rep – 1988
- My practise of homeopathy -1990
- Asthma causes types and homeopathic treatment -1990 .
- A matter of life by nadya coates & N.M Jollyman- 1990
- Nadya coates was director of cancer center at springhill , near aylesbury ,Bucks England
- Good health without drugs -1993
ABOUT DR. MARGARET LUCY TYLER
- DR. M.L TYLER (M.D brux ; L.R.C.P ., L.R.C.S Edin ; L.R.F.P.S .,Glas )
- Born in england in 1857
- Graduate of both Edinburgh and Brussels universities .
- Director of london homeopathic hospital.
- Worked at the Royal london homeopathic hospital for forty yrs .
- Speciality was treating mentally challenged children
- Close associate of DR. J.H CLARKE .
- Died on the 21 st of june , 1943 at the age of 86 yrs .
- The correspondence course on homoeopathy
- Introductory lectures on homoeopathy
- Acute conditions , injuries,etc
- Different ways of finding the remedy
- Pointers to the common remedies
- Repertorization – with john weir
- A study of kent’s repertory
- Hahnemann’s conception of chronic diseases
ABOUT Dr. M.L TYLER MATERIA MEDICA
- Authors own experience and well supported by generous quotes from Dr.Hahnemann , Dr. T.F Allen , Dr. Hering , Dr.Burnett , Dr.Farrington , Dr.Kent and Dr. Clarke .
- Useful background to each drug picture has been provided with respect to its history , source , preparation, use and comparative aspect .
- Inclusion of cases , articles , & letters from multiple sources
- 125 remedy pictures .
- Finally – Black letter or key note symptoms to every drug .
PREFACE OF REPERTORY
- Dr.Tyler covered similar cases but there was no easy way to remember .
- Therefore this index born partially out of frustration and partially as a tribute in recognition of the brilliant Work .
- She shows how each differs from the others in some vital aspect. (Both drugs and patient)
- Dr. Tyler emphasizes over and over again the necessity of prescribing a remedy ONLY IF THE SYMPTOMS AGREE .
- The information in the drug pictures cannot be found anywhere else and goes beyond the scope of any one materia medica in understanding the remedies
- Have to consult materia medica for minutae of other symptoms not included here .
- Alphabetical order
- Readily comparable with information in the materia medica
- The index can in fact be used as a mini repertory to point the way in which one should go Words are simplified from original text
- (e,g frequent pulse – rapid pulse ,
- unquenchable thirst – excessive thirst )
- Knowledge of anatomy is used eg information on fontanelles will be found under head . Canthi under eyes .
- Page reference given
- Remedy name without page number means We can find nearby remedy present in bracket but remedy presented may not be suitable for that symptom.
- Eg. chronic headache nat mur ( bry 147 )
- Remedies Underlined occasionally where it is apparent that it is an outstanding remedy for that symptom and may be deemed to be a specific
- Repertory Should not be taken as complete one for any remedy , or even for any symptom
- But is a guide to those remedies which are most likely to be useful in considering a particular symptom
- To make easier for non medically trained reader – short explanation nearby rubric .
ARRANGMENTS : Alphabetically and Regionally
ARRANGEMENTS OF RUBRICS
Here I arranged rubrics into conditions , chapters for understanding etc
Meteorism – excessive – asaf, china
>from flatus – lyco (not > by belching ) in allens
Ascites with anasarca – tereb
Incarcerated or strangulated hernia – plumbum
Metastasis from gout – colchicum
Apoplexy – anti crud , opium
From materia medica – anti – crud .
Apoplexy with such a profuse flow of saliva , that expelled a large quantity of watery foam from nose and mouth
Apoplexy with high blood pressure – opium , glonine
Bedsores – baptisia
Cheyne stokes respiration- opium
Ulceration of lungs – kali carb .
Cornea opacity of – arg.nit , asafodita
From material medica – ARG NIT – has more intense eye symptoms
Catarrhal , ulcerative and opacities of cornea .
Exopthalmos – dros
Atrophy of optic disc – cina
Trismus lock jaw – cicuta , hyp
Adenomatous of glands -dros
Jaundice – plumb , cheld, iod
Orthopnoea – anti tat , carb veg
Lung gangrene following lobar pneumonia – phos
Cancrum oris – caps
Nuns murmur in veins – ferr doubt
Obesity due to improper nutrition – calc , graph
Pancreas acute inflammation – con
Peyers patchs – dros
Pyrosis –waterbrash – alumina
Uremic coma – plumb
From materia medica – Dr. Kent gave 1 case
Doctors wife. Catheter showedthat there was no urine in the bladder , she had pulling sensation at navel .. She was pale as death , breathing slowly deeply comatose. A single powder of plumbum high was given . Andshepassed urine in a couple of hours , roused up, never had such an attack again
Appendicitis – Bell
Arbovital remedies –infected arthropods – such as mosquitos , ticks . etc
– ornithogalum .
ARTHRITIS – pain in joints – colchicum, dros , iod , med .
Pain in small joints – colchicum , dros , med.
Periostium – colchicum
In ankles and feet – dros
Puls . nat.phos . anti – crude ( almost specific )
From materia medica Anti crud – rheumatic inflammation of muscles. Arthritic affection with swelling and nodosites
Rheumatic contractions of muscles , with curvature of limbs
( JAHR )
Dr. schwartz of california – anti crud – almost specific
Beginning at the menopause – caulophyllum
Chronic – phyto, sepia
With tuberculosis family history – tub.bov ,caust, Dros .
Ascarides – Round worms –calc , ignatia
Spasmodic – ipecac , mag.phos , nat.sulph
Violent – nat.sulph – From materia medica – One of the remedies for violent attacks of asthma . Sputum – greenish and copious worse in damp , rainy weather
Nervous – mag.phos
Hysterical – nux.mos
Infantile – vib.opulus
In childrens of sycotic parents – nat.sulph
With tubercular family history – dros
Alternate with skin eruptions – sulph
Asthma with discharge of urine – kreos
From materia medica – Asthma associated with jars abdomen , retching , discharge of urine , chills and headache , sleepiness
Asthma painful respiration – ars
With difficult slow breathing – ferr
Enteritis – anti tat
Abscess- chronic – stram
Abscess with swelling – hyper
Actinomycosis – Ray fungus – chronic suppurative disease of the mouth with abscess and later ulcers – nitric .acid .
Bazins – blue marks on calves with ulcers – dros
From materia medica – Bazins – nodular vasculitis – boy of 14 , marked exophthalmos with pulse of 150 Chains of lymphadenomatous glands in the neck . Blue indurated patches on calves
After drosera improved
Blepharitis – inflammation of eyelids
Cerebrospinal meningitis – ail, cicuta , nat.sulph . etc
Basilar meningitis from suppressed ear discharge .- stram.
Brain bag – ail. Pic.acid
Brights disease – calc.sulph
Bronchitis – colchicum
Bronchitis with emphysema of aged – ledum
From materia medica – Dr. clarke says.. Especially useful in bronchitis with emphysema of the aged , renders bronchial secretion less viscid , lessons dyspnoea , stimultes circulation and lessons the cyanosis
- Cancer of lips –cistus , phyt
- Sarcoma of face – symphitum
- Cellulitis –canth , arn
- Diaphragmitis – cact , ran .b , stram
- Corns – ammonium carb
- Emphysema with bronchitis – ledum
- Enteric fever – morbilinum
- Choroiditis – cina
- Glaucoma – sulph
- Retinitis – cina
- Trachoma – apis
- Orbital cellulitis – rhus tox
- Entropion – borax , graph
- Glioma of brain – bell
- Basedows disease – ferr
- Hernia from inactivity of rectum – cham
- Hodgkins disease lymphadenoma – cistus
- Intussusception- obstruction in bowels – plumb
- Ischuria – suppression or retension of urine in bladder – arnica
- Landrys disease – cocculus ( guillian barre syndrome )
- Pagets disease – dros , asaf
- Malaria – arn, pyrogen , nat,mur
- Mastitis – lac.can , arn
- Atelactasis –complete or partial collapse of lung – ant- tat
- Hydrothorax -colchicum
- Haemorrhophilia – tendency to bleeding piles – ferr
- Angina – am.carb , mag.phos , tarantula
- Violent attacks – arn , aur, spig , gels .
- Pericarditis – kali carb
- Valvular disease of heart followed by rheumatism–colchicum
- Mitral valve insufficiency – kali carb
- Hydraemia – excess of water in the blood – nat.sulp
- Hydrometra – dropsy of uterus accumulation of watery mucous fluid in the cavity of the womb – colch
PHYSIOLOGICAL : ARNOT SCHULTZ LAW –OPIUM , THUJA
From materia medica – Thuja disease – chronic repetition
Large dose – lethal
Mild dose – inhibit
Smallest dose – stimulate
- Of lips –cistus , phyto
- Of cheek – conium
- Of tongue – crotalus
- Of stomach – crot, ornithogalum
- Uterus – crot , merc , kreos
- Intestines – graph
- Heart – kreos
- Of mammae – kreos , merc
- Sarcoma of face – symphytum
- Pain of – silica
- Scirrhus – phytolacca
- With emaciation – brom
- pylorus and duodenum – ornithogalum
- cervix with very offensive odour- kreos
- Extremily irritable – anti tat , cham
- Deafness of human voice – sulph
- Desire things but refuses them when offered – bry , staphy , cina
- Children who are snappish , with ear ache – cham , allium cepa
- Children who cry pitifully and have earache – puls
- Cough as result of getting angry – ant , tat
- Babies who will not sleep day or night – psor
- Precocious – Bell
- In children- abrotanum , calc
- Tapeworms – calc , graph , cina , platina
- Ascarides- calc , cina
- Lumbrici – round worms – nat.phos , cina
- Thread worms – cina , ferr, nat.phos
- Helminthiasis- cina
- Pin worm – med
- Discomfort during pregnancy – bellis
- Affections of ears during- caps
- Shivers during 1st stage – cimicifuga
- Difficult walking – bellis
- False labor pain – calc , vib
- Nervousness – cimicifuga
- Frightful imaginings in late pregnancy – kali bro
- Constipation during – collinsonia
- Thought of food takes away appetite – ars , sep , cocc, caust
- Cramps , in toes and soles of feet – calc
- Cramps In abdomen and legs – vib
- Sight of water makes one vomit – phos
- To facilitate labour – borax
- During labor becomes blind – cuprum met
- During labour suffocating spells and convulsions – hyos
- Chloasma – sepia
- Tooth ache pregnancy – sepia
- Sensation that os uteri is opening – lach , sanicula
- Swelling and stiffness of hands and feet – sanicula
- Violent cough in sheep – dros
- Swelling of cervical and other glands in cats – dros
- Sows eat their young – ferr.phos
- Anthrax –kreos
- Lame horses- Ledum
- Punctured wounds , nails etc – ledum
- Meteorism in cows – colchicum , mag.phos
- Actinomycosis in cattle (woody tongue )- nitric acid
- Retained placenta — pyrogen
- Indifference to offspring – sepia
- Epilepsy in horses – viscum
- Collapse -carbo veg , kali carb
From materia medica – Kalicarb & carboveg complimentary .. Case small girl – articulo mortis with endocarditis , pericarditis cold , unconscious ,gasping her last breath etc – carbo veg and then kalicarb
- Dying -carbo veg
- Air hunger- carbo veg
- Strains – rhus tox , nux vom
- Mechanical injuries – arn , ham , led, sal.acid.
- Injuries of soft parts – arn
- Injuries of nerves – hyper,
- Blows from blunt instruments – symphytum
- Sprains- arn , bellis
- Black eyes – ledum
- Open lacerated and cuts – calendula
- For prevension of sepsis – calendula
- Burns – urtica urens
- Painless – picric acid
- Effects of shock physical , mental –arnica
- Effects of over exertion , strain – symphytum
- Wasp stings – arn
TOXICITY AND BAD EFFECTS
ARGYRIA – dusky skin as result of taking silver salts over a long period – arg.nit
From materia medica – because of allopathic doses or accidentlly swallowed during the process of cauterizing the throat , it has turned people permently blue
Wrist drop as result of lead poisioning – plumb met
Asthma result of fit of anger – cham
Earlier illness eg whooping cough – carbo veg
Suppersion of eczema – ars
Aluminium antidote to poisioning by alumina
Antidotes poison antidoted by its potencies – alumina , coffea
Never been well since a burn – caust
Mercury poisioning – mur.acid , nitric acid
Poisioning by charcoal – ammon carb ,
Ptomaine – ars
COMMON RUBRICS RELATED WITH OTHER REPERTORY & MATERIAL MEDICA
- Appetite ravenous , while emaciating – abrot, iod
- Canine hunger – ferr, sulph
- Feels full , yet still hungry – lyco
- Only feels well while eating – iod
- Great hungry after a meal – cina ,lac.can .
- Hunger 11am – sulph
- Full and bloated after eating – lyco
- Wrists – sprained – ruta
- Adipsia – absence of thirst – puls , staphy
- Backache < rising from sitting – aesc
- Lambness as if strained – aesc
- Clairvoyance – cann
- Yellow saddle across bridge of nose- sepia
- Pain move limb to heart – benzoic acid , nat,phos
- Fastidious – ars , nux .vom
UNCOMMON & RARE RUBRICS
- Wrist pain in – ammonium carb
- Wrists possible writers cramp – cycl
- Appears to go to sleep on graspsing anything – cham
- Asthma where arsenicum only palliates – nat.sulph , thuja
- From fatty degeneration of heart arnica
- Agg- going up hill – nux .vom
- Amelio -talking- ferr
- Amelio- constant reading and writing – ferr
- Amelio- standing by open window – ipecac
- Analgesics – bell
- Abscess do not mature – sanicula
- Bowels – to relax the bowels – cean
- Debility feels not at all well , without knowing what is the matter – chelidonium
- Constant hunger with diarrhoea – petroleum
MERITS & DEMERITS
- Children rubric separately given
- Followed by term , explanation for that .
- Alphabetically and regionally arranged .
- Veterinary related rubrics included
- Clinical rubric , diagnostic points are included
- Small and handy book ,
- simple to read .
- Very good Materia medica but difficult to use at bedside .
- We can go through this handy index . Definitely it will help
- Finally we can clarify and confirm with materia medica
- Not for complete repertorisation purpose
- Just for reference
- Less number of remedies in many rubrics
- In some places Unable to find symptoms in materia medica
- Dr. Kent says sulphur is such a full remedy that it is difficult to tell where to begin .
- It seems contain a likeness of all sickness .
- Yet he says it will not cure all the sickness of man and must be used carefully .
- Dr. Tyler ..It seems that The less a physician knows of materia medica the oftener he gives sulphur .
- But is very frequently given by good prescribers .
- So that the line between physicians knowledge and ignorance cannot be drawn from frequency of their use remedies
- Dr. N .M jollyman -Understanding of the 125 remedies covered by DR. TYLER will ensure clear picture of every drug
DR. CHITHRA P
PGT 2ND YR
Dept of Case Taking And Repertory
Mahesh Bhattacharyya Homoeopathic Medical College And Hospital
Howrah, Govt of West Bengal
UNDER THE GUIDANCE OF
Prof (Dr).ARDHENDU SHEKHAR CHAKRABORTY BHMS MD ( Hom )
Be the first to comment