Dr Nethravathi B, Dr Ashok Kumar Dantkale
Common type of anxiety disorder is phobias, and distributions vary by age and gender. Phobias affect women roughly twice as frequently compared to males. Suicide and a greater likelihood of comorbidities are complications, onset is usually rapid typically around 10-17 years and rates decline with maturity and having duration of more than 6 months.
Keywords – Phobia, Homeopathy, Fear, Anxiety, Anxiety disorder, Specific phobia, Social anxiety disorder, Agoraphobia, Synthesis, Complete, Repertory.
Abbreviations – ICD-International Classification of diseases; DSM-Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders; SAD-Social Anxiety Disorder; Complete repertory Gradation – BELL – 4, BELL – 3, Bell– 2, bell – 1.
The Greek word PHOBIA (PHÓBOS) means “aversion”, “fear” or “morbid terror”1.
An Anxiety disorder called phobia is characterised by an extreme, ongoing fear of a certain thing / circumstance. Extreme emotion alterations have been brought on by damage to limbic system’s cortical regions, such as frontal lobes / cingulate cortex1.
- Specific phobia for Animal type:
- Acarophobia3 – Fear of itching or of small crawling insects that causes itching such as mites / lice.
“Mind; fear; bugs, insects: ABEL CALC PHOS (+19)4
- Zoophobia3 – Fear of animals. :
Mind; fear; animals, of: ABEL BAC BELL CALC CARC CHIN HELL MED STRAM TUB VERAT (+128)4
- Arachnophobia3 – Fear of spiders.
Mind; fear; spiders, of: CARC scorp (+32)4
- Ophidiophobia3 – Fear of snakes.
Mind; fear; snakes, of: ABEL ALUM LAC-C LACH NAT-M vani-p (+28)4
- Ailurophobia3 – Extreme / irrational fear of cats.
Mind; fear; cats, of: sulph TUB (+12)4
- Cynophobia3 – Fear of dogs.
Mind; fear; dogs, of: BAC BELL BUFO CALC CAUST CHIN HYOS LAC-C NAT-M PULS STRAM TUB (+40)4
- Specific phobia for Natural environment type:
- Acrophobia3 – Irrational / extreme fear of heights.
Mind; fear; high places: ARG-N AUR AUR-M-N AUR-S CALC CARB-AN COCA GELS HYOS SULPH (+46)4
- Astrophobia / Brontophobia3 – Fear of thunderstorm / lightning.
Mind; fear; lightning, of: bell cycl dig dpt lach phos phys sil taosc.4
Mind; fear; thunderstorm, of: BOR BRY CALC CARC COLOC GELS GRAPH IGNIS LAC-C NAT-C NAT-M NIT-AC PHOS RHOD SEP STAPH (+31)4
- Aquaphobia3 – Fear of water not related to illness / physical condition. Hydrophobia – Fear of water related to late stage of rabies infection / physical symptoms.
Mind; fear; water, fluids, of: BELL CANTH cupr hoch HYOS LACH LYSS PHOS PHYS sabad STRAM (+37)4
Mind; hydrophobia: HYDR-AC HYOS LACH LYSS STRAM TANAC XANTH (+80)4
- Anemophobia3 – Fear of wind / drafts.
Mind; fear; wind, storm, of: CHAM LAC-C RHOD SEP (+15)4
- Pyrophobia3 – Fear of fire.
Mind; fear; fire: bos-s CUPR-ACET PSOR RHUS-T (+14)4
- Specific phobia for Blood-injection-injury type:
- Aichmophobia3 – Intense fear of sharp objects. Belonephobia – Fear of needles.
Mind; fear; pins, pointed, sharp things, of: HEP SIL SPIG (+17)4
- Hemophobia / Hematophobia3 – Fear of blood.
Mind; fear; blood, of: ALUM NUX-M PLAT (+2)4. Mind; blood or a knife, cannot look at: ALUM NUX-M NUX-V PLAT (+6)4
- Specific phobia for Situational type:
- Amaxophobia3 – Fear driving vehicle, either as driver / passenger.
Mind; fear; riding, when; carriage, in: AUR BOR LACH PSOR SEP (+22)4
- Catoptrophobia3 – Fear of mirrors. Spectrophobia – Fear of appearance, form or thing in mirror.
Mind; fear; mirrors in room, of: CANTH LYSS STRAM (+8)4
- Claustrophobia3 – Fear of narrow places.
Mind; fear; narrow place, in, claustrophobia: ACON AMBR ARAN ARG-N ARS AUR-M-N CALC CIMIC DULC DYS-CO IGN LAC-D LYC NAT-M NAT-S PLUT-N PULS (+68)4
- Specific phobia for Others type:
- Algophobia3 – Extreme fear of physical pain. Ponophobia – Fear of overwork, becoming fatigue or of pain.
Mind; fear; suffering, of: ALL-C FL-AC HEP LACH SYPH (+26)4
Mind; fear; pain, of: ALL-C ARN COFF LACH (+35)4
- Amathophobia3 – Abnormal and persistent fear of dust. Mysophobia – Fear of dirt or contamination, fear of germs.
Mind; fear; dirt, of: alum-s chin-s cinnb gink mang-s oscilloc syph.4
Mind; fear; disease, of; contagious, epidemic, infection: ARS BOR CALAD CALC CARC SULPH SYPH (+29)4
- Nyctophobia / Noctophobia3 – Fear of dark / night.
Mind; fear; dark, of: CANN-I PULS STRAM (+123)4
- Angiophobia3 – Fear of angina, fear of choking. Cardiophobia – fear of heart disease / heart attack.
Mind; fear; heart; disease, of: APIS ARN AUR CALC GRAPH KALI-AR LACH LIL-T PHOS SPONG uran-n (+41)4
- Autophobia3 – Fear of being alone.
Mind; fear; alone, being: ARG-N ARS CROT-C HYOS KALI-BR KALI-C LYC NAT-C PHOS STRAM (+146)4
- Haphephobia3 – Fear of being touched.
Mind; fear; approaching; others, of; touched, lest he be: ARN CHIN TELL (+12)4
Mind; touched; aversion to being: ANT-C ANT-T ARN CHAM CINA KALI-C TARENT (+98)4
- Necrophobia3 – Fear of dead organisms or associated with death. Thantophobia – Fear of death / dying process.
Mind; fear; death, of: ACON ACT-SP APIS ARN ARS BELL BRY CALC CANN-I CAUST CIMIC COFF DIG ELAPS GELS KALI-C KALI-I KALI-N LAC-C LACH LAT-M MANC MERC MOSCH NIT-AC NUX-M NUX-V OP PHOS PLAT PULS RHUS-T RUTA SEC VARIO VERAT (+250)4
- Nosophobia3 – fear of developing life threatening disease like cancer / AIDS. (Hypochondria – worry about all types of sicknesses)
Mind; fear; disease, of: CALC KALI-C LAC-C NUX-V PHOS SULPH SYPH (+180)4
- Social Anxiety Disorder (Social Phobia):
- Xenophobia3 – Fear of strangers.
Mind; fear; strangers, of: aur-m-n BAR-C CARB-V CUPR SOL THUJ (+29)4
- Homophobia3 – Dislike for homosexuality people.
Mind; fear; homosexuality, of: cench hydr-ac manc musc-d nym PULS STAPH.4
- Anthrophobia3 – Fear of people.
Mind; fear; people, of, anthropophobia: AMBR BAR-C BELL CIC HYOS LYC NAT-C PULS RHUS-T (+118)4
- Fear of places and situations that might cause panic, helplessness or embrassment.
Mind; fear; agoraphobia: ARG-N GLON KALI-P LYSS SEP (+30)4
Mind; fear; crowd, in: ACON AMBR ARG-N AUR AUR-M-N BELL CARC KALI-AR LYC NAT-M NUX-V PETR PULS (+72)4
Conclusion – There are numerous potent homeopathic remedies that can treat phobias, but choice is patient specific taking mental and physical symptoms into consideration as homeopathy treats the person individually and holistically.
- Wikipedia Contributors. Phobia [Internet]. Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation; 2019. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phobia
- Tripathi P. Review of Psychiatry. 2/e: Jaypee Brothers Medical P; 2020.
- Frederik Schroyens. The Essential synthesis. Synthesis Homeopathic Repertor – (Mobile app). Available from: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=be.archibel.synthesis.en.demo&hl=en_IN&gl=US
- Roger van Zandvoort and Edwin van Grinsven. Completedynamics.com. Available from: https://www.completedynamics.com/pages/downloads.php?lang=en
About the author
- Dr Nethravathi. B, PG Scholar (MD Part 1). Department of Homoeopathic Materia Medica, Government Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital, Bangalore, Karnataka. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr Ashok Kumar Dantkale, Professor. Department of Homoeopathic Materia Medica, Government Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital, Bangalore, Karnataka.