A three member committee headed by the PVC Dr Ratnakaran, recommended the University to equalise External MD with Regular MD – on the ground that Central council of Homoeopathy equalised the both, and even TC Medical Council approved it. The PG students took a protest march and agitation against this report.
According to Dr. Pradeep K R, President of the Homoeopathic Post Graduate Students Organization Kerala “ There is a strong attempt at present in certain quarters to equalize regular PG degree and external PG degree in Homoeopathy on the background of pay revision of Homeopathic Medical College Teachers of Kerala.
“It would be a unpardonable injustice to the regular M.D. Holders who suffer three years of hardships viz. tiresome classes, OP and IP duties, camps, teaching, night duties, research, thesis works and many other, suffering their practice and families, if what they got by these hardships, is awarded to those with money and only money and nothing other than crookedness and inefficiency. It is crystal clear that it is just an outcome of the insecurity feeling of various individuals who want to gain the benefits and privileges of the prestigious designation M.D. through much easier and stress free”
Government Kerala had appointed a commission in 2001 chaired by Honorable Pro Vice Chancellor of Kerala University, Prof. S. Kevin, on the matter of External PG course in homoeopathy. This commission submitted the report in 2002 which clearly stated that “the University of Kerala need not sanction the External PG Degree in Homoeopathy as it cannot maintain the academic standards expected of a PG degree in medicine”.
- The Health & Family welfare department, Govt. of Kerala has also made it amply clear in 2010 that the two courses cannot be considered equal. (Order No.20535/J2/2010/H&FWD dt 08/12/2010)
- It may be relevant to recall the Honorable Supreme Court judgment on February 25, 2009, (Civil Appeal No. 4173 of 2008, Annamalai University versus Secretary to Govt., Information & Tourism Dept & Others) which observed that a Masters degree awarded to a candidate who has not undergone a degree (Bachelor’s) course cannot be valid.
- PG degree is the basic qualification for appointment as Lecturers a per the new UGC norms implemented for Homoeopathic Medical Colleges in Kerala.
- According to Kerala Homoeopathic Medical College Service Rule 2001, Page 16, Note i (a), External PG is acceptable “provided three years class attendance is the minimum requirement of PG as in Kerala”. But the current external MD is two year without attendance.
- The authorities have themselves understood the course as sub standard and have stopped the course years ago.
The PG students association requested the Academic Council to prevent any attempt from any external M.D. holders for recognition and equalization of such shameful courses and to recommend the medical council for preventing those external M.D. holders all over Kerala from cheating the public by displaying such fake qualification on their boards.