A prospective study on the usefulness of homoeopathic constitutional medicines in the management of chronic tonsillitis in the age group of 3 – 15 years
Dr Muhsina Mariam. M. T
MD Organon GHMC Calicut
Medical Officer, Department of Homoeopathy, Govt of Kerala
Background and Objectives: Tonsillitis is one of the most frequently encountered problems in pediatric age group with recurrent attacks, which will result in severe complication. Homoeopathy is giving better results in treating tonsillitis both in acute and chronic recurrent episodes. Recurrent attack of tonsillitis is the major concern as it affects the growth of the child. Hence this study was undertaken to verify the efficacy of Homoeopathic constitutional medicines in the management of chronic tonsillitis of the age group of 3- 15 years and exploring the role of constitutional medicines in preventing the recurrence. The objective of the study is to verify the efficacy of Homoeopathic constitutional medicines in the management of chronic tonsillitis and to compare the symptomatic changes of the patients before and after treatment.
Methods: A hospital based prospective study was carried out in Government Homoeopathic Medical College, Kozhikode. Focused on the age group of 3 – 15 years. The study group of 30 was selected randomly presenting with signs and symptoms of tonsillitis with study period for one year and reviewed at one-month interval. Treatment outcome was analyzed based on assessment criteria. Basic hygienic measures were explained to the parents and they were followed up regularly.
Results and discussion : The study clearly demonstrated that the indicated acute medicines as definite role in altering the course of acute tonsillitis and when acute medicines was followed by the constitutional medicines, it had shown significant impact in bringing down the frequency and duration of attack with decreasing the intensity of further episodes. Thirty participants were recruited for the study and all completed the study. No participants were excluded, referred to a health care provider or withdrew from the study. Out of 30 cases, maximum incidence obtained in the age group of 9 -11 years and prevalence more in males (18 cases) than in females (12 cases). Presenting compliant varies in each case. In 50 % cases, fever was the presenting symptom. Throat pain in 80 % cases. Enlarged tonsil in nine cases and difficulty in swallowing in six cases. This study reflects the predominance of psoric miasm in chronic tonsillitis. Out of 30, cases belladonna were indicated in six cases, Baryta carb in nine cases, hepar sulp in 5 cases, merc sol in 2 cases, silicea in one case, calc carb in 4 cases, tuberculinum in 3 cases. Therefore final outcome after treatment was 26 cases showed improvement and 4 cases cured. Statistical analysis was done using paired t test and this study was statistically significant.
Conclusion. A course of one year study on the efficacy of constitutional Homoeopathic medicines in the management of chronic tonsillitis concluded that Homoeopathic constitutional medicines are very effective in treating chronic tonsillitis in pediatric age group. No side effects are observed during treatment
Key words: Chronic tonsillitis; Constitutional treatment; Homoeopathy; Baryta carb; Belladonna.
A course of one year clinical study shows that Homoeopathic constitutional medicines play an important role in the management of chronic tonsillitis. The study depicts that 90 % of patients got relief from the Homoeopathic constitutional medicines. The most effective medicines are baryta carb, belladonna, hepar sulph. There were no side effects during treatment and it can be concluded that Homoeopathic constitutional medicines can help the patients to take a lease on life. During the study, it was observed that in almost all the cases the Homoeopathic constitutional medicines responded well and the patients not only got rid of the main complaints of tonsillitis but also got rid of the associated complaints with restoration of health. Thus, we can conclude that Homoeopathic medicines used with constitutional approach are very effective in treating the cases of chronic tonsillitis.
- Amit Guar. A Clinico – Comparative Study On Efficacy Of Darvyadi Yoga And Indukanta Yoga In Tonsillitis (dissertation). Karnataka: Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Science; 2010 -2011.
- Dr. Suraj Gupte. The short textbook of pediatrics. 11th edition. New Delhi: Jaypee brothers medical publishers; 2009.
- Kvestad E , Kvaerner KJ, Royasamb E, Tambsb K, Harris JR, Magnus P. Heritability Of Recurrent Tonsillitis . Arch head neck sugery. May 2005; 131 (5): 383 -387.
- Phaneendra Rao RS, Malavika A Subramanyam, Sreekumaran Nair . Hearing impairment and ear disease among children of school entry age in rural south India. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology. 2002; 64 (2): 105 110.
- Wald ER, Green MD, Schwartz B. A streptococcal score card re – visited. Pediatric emergency care. 1998; 14 (2): 109 -111.
- Walter Sands Mills AB. Practice of medicine. Reprinted edition. United States: Nabu press; 2010.
- Dhingra PL, Shruti Dhingra. Disease of ear, nose, and throat and head and neck surgery. 6 th edition .New Delhi : Elsevier ; 2014.
- Gayathri A. Effectiveness of individual video assisted teaching programe on level of knowledge on practice regarding home management of adenotonsillitis among mothers of under five children in selected urban areas of Mangalore (dissertation), Mangalore: Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Science; 2011 – 2013.
- Dr. Preetha B. The efficacy and significance of homoeopathy in chronic tonsillitis ( dissertation).Trivandrum : kerala university ; 2000 -2003
- Klaus Stelter .Tonsillitis and sore throat in children. German medical science current topics in otorhinolaryngology head neck surgery.2014 ;13 (1) : 1-24.
- Dr. Vishwanath. VK. A clinical study of tonsillitis and its homoeopathic management through robin Murphy repertory (dissertation). Dharwad: Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Science; 2009 – 2012.
- Akhter MB, Siddiqui MM, Rabbani MG, Jalukdev SL. A study on tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy and adenotonsillectomy operation. Dinajpur medical college journal. 2015 January; 8 (1): 15 -20.
- Dr.Suresh AT. A study of tonsillitis and its homoeopathic management (dissertation). Calicut: Calicut University; 1994 -1997.
- Dr.Siva Rami Reddy. A brief study of efficacy of homoeopathic medicines in controlling tonsillitis in pediatric age group. IOSR journal of pharmacy and biological sciences. 2017 Feb; 12 (1): 1 -5.
Inderbir singh, Pal GP . Human embryology. Reprinted edition. New Delhi: Macmillan India limited; 2005.
- Chaurasias BD. Human anatomy volume 3.6 th edition. New Delhi: CBS Publishers and distributors Pvt Ltd; 2013.Embryology of tonsil [Internet]. 2017 [cited 25 April 2017]. Available from:
- Noussios G, Xanthopoulos J, Zaraboukas T, Vital I. Morphological study of development and functional activity of palatine tonsils in embryonic age. Acta otorhinolaryngol ital. 2003; 23: 98 – 101.
- Oral cavity [Internet]. 2017 [cited 25 April 2017]. Available from: https://www.google.co.in/search?q=anatomy+of+tonsils&source=lnms&tbm=isch &sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjygOLTq73TAhVHs48KHc5OAhsQ_AUIBigB& biw=1366&bih=664#imgrc=5fBEjjFBUgfDOM:
- Hentry Gray . Grays Anatomy .41 th edition. England: Elsevier; 2015.
- Embryology of tonsil [Internet]. 2017 [cited 25 April 2017]. Available from: https://www.google.co.in/search?q=embryology+of+tonsil&source=lnms&tbm=is ch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFteZrL3T AhWFtY8KHbUoDxcQ_AUIBigB&biw=1 366&bih=664#imgrc=uZhw62fAebrWCM
- The microstructure of tonsil [Internet]. 2017 [cited 25 April 2017]. Available from:https://www.google.co.in/search?q=microstructure+of+tonsil&source=lnms
- &tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiYlcbsrL3T AhWLq48KHeE9AxkQ_AUIBig
23. The blood supply of tonsil [Internet]. 2017 [cited 25 April 2017]. Available from:
- https://www.google.co.in/search?q=blood+supply+of+tonsil&source=lnms&tbm= isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiKjZm1tr3T AhWLOY8KHaenDhsQ_AUIBigB&biw =1366&bih=664#imgrc=lchaVkWGgiwJNM
- 24.Waldeyer’s ring [Internet]. 2017 [cited 25 April 2017]. Available from: https://www.google.co.in/search?q=microstructure+of+tonsil&source=lnms&tbm =isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiYlcbsrL3T AhWLq48KHeE9AxkQ_AUIBigB&bi w=1366&bih=664#tbm=isch&q=waldeyers+ring&imgrc=_4Y1hMpiXFpdOM 25. 26. 27.
- Norman S, Williams Christopher JK, Bulstrode and Ronan o Connell. Bailey and Loves Short practice of surgery. 25 th edition .London: Hodder Arnold; 2008.
- Rudolf Probst, Gerhard Grevers .Basic otorhinolaryngology, a step by step learning guide. Second edition. Germany: Thieme; 2005.
- Maqbool Muhammad and Maqbool suhail. Text book of ear, nose and throat disease.11th edition. New Delhi: Jay pee brothers; 2007.
- Chronic tonsillitis [Internet]. 2017 [cited 25 April 2017]. Available from: https://www.google.co.in/search?q=microstructure+of+tonsil&source=lnms&tbm =isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiYlcbsrL3T AhWLq48KHeE9AxkQ_AUIBigB&bi w=1366&bih=664#tbm=isch&q=chronic+tonsillitis&imgrc=FARbqQsT1Z2QIM:
- Babu B Reynolds AM. A study to find out the bacteriology of tonsillar surface and core among patients undergoing tonsillectomy at tertiary care hospital in South India. Journal of evidence based medicine and health care. 2016 may; 43 (3): 2131 -2134.
- Dr. Jyothi D Awanti. A study on miasmatic background of tonsillitis and its homoeopathic management (dissertation).Gulbarga: Rajiv Gandhi University of health science; 2009 -2012.
- Ezzeddini R, Darabi M, Ghasemi B, Jabbari Moghaddam Y, Jabbari Y, Abdollahi S. Circulating phospholipase A2 activity in obstructive sleep apnea and recurrent tonsillitis. International journal of pediatrics otorhinolaryngol. December 2011; 76(4): 471 – 474.
- Hahnemann Samuel .The chronic diseases their peculiar nature and their homoeopathic cure. First NCBA edition .Kolkata: New central book agency; 2007.
Yilmaz T, kocan EG, Besler HT .The role of oxidants and antioxidants in chronic tonsillitis and adenoid hypertrophy in children. International journal of pediatrics otorhinolaryngol. 2004 August ; 68 (8 ) : 1053 -1058.DOI 10.1016
- Brandtzaeq P, Surjan L, Berdal P. Immunoglobulin systems of human tonsil. Clinical and experimental immunology.1978; 31 (3): 382 – 390.
- Metin Onerci, Sezai Kus .Trace elements in children with chronic and recurrent tonsillitis. International journal of pediatrics otorhinolaryngol.1997 July; 41 (1): 47 – 51.
- Theodor’s Skives, Christophe Kingman, Serkin Sartell, Peter K Pinker, Ingo Baumann. Measuring quality of life in adult patients with chronic tonsillitis. The open otorhinolaryngology journal .2010; 4: 34 – 36.
- Kurien M, Stanisa john A, Thomas K, Throat swab in the chronic tonsillitis, how reliable and valid is it. Singapore medical journal .2000; 41 (7): 324 – 326.
- Aijaz Aivi, John Vartanian. Microscopic examination of routine tonsillectomy specimens is it necessary. Otolaryngology – head and neck surgery. 1998 October; 119 (4): 361 -363.
- Benson A Reul. Homoeopathic nursery manual. Reprinted edition. New Delhi: B Jain publishers; 1999.
- Raue CG. Diseases of children. Reprinted edition .Philadelphia: Kessinger publishing; 2010.
Santwani MT. Common ailments of children .Reprinted edition. New Delhi: B Jain publishers; 2000.
- Ronald Alastair Mcneil. A history of tonsillectomy, two millennia of trauma, hemorrhage and controversy. Ulster medical journal.1960; 29 (1): 59 -63.
- Tonsillectomy [Internet]. 2017 [cited 25 April 2017]. Available from: https://www.google.co.in/search?q=microstructure+of+tonsil&source=lnms&tbm =isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiYlcbsrL3T AhWLq48KHeE9AxkQ_AUIBigB&bi w=1366&bih=664#tbm=isch&q=tonsillectomy&imgrc=kn1Wx_epVWtneM
- Nira A Goldstein, Mahnur Fatima, Thomas F Camphell. Child behavior and quality of life before and after tonsillectomy. Jama otolaryngology- head and neck surgery. 2002 July; 128 (7): 770 -775.
- Irfan Kaygusuz , Ahmet Godekmerdan . Early stage impacts of tonsillectomy on immune functions of children. International journal of pediatrics otorhinolaryngology.2003 December; 67 (12): 1311 – 1315.
- Dr. Shashi Kant Tiwari . Homoeopathy and child care .Reprinted edition . New Delhi: B Jain publishers; 2004.
- John Simpson, Edmund weiner. The oxford English Dictionary. Third edition edition. United kingdom : Oxford university press ;1989
- 48.Hahnemann S. Organon Of Medicine.5th& 6thedition. New Delhi : B Jain Publishers (P)Ltd ; 2005.
- Kent J T. Lectures on homoeopathic philosophy .Reprinted edition .New Delhi: Indian books and periodicals publishers; 2009.
- Robert H A. The principles and art of cure by homoeopathy. Reprinted edition. New Delhi: B Jain publishers; 2009.
- Close Stuart. The genius of homoeopathy .Reprinted edition. New Delhi: Indian books and periodicals; 2011.
- Hughes Richard. The principles and practice of homoeopathy. Reprinted edition. New Delhi: B Jain publishers; 2013.
Wadia SR. Tonsillitis cured by homoeopathy. Reprinted edition. New Delhi:
B Jain publishers; 2004.
- Wiesenaner M. Comparison of solid and liquid forms of homoeopathic remedies for tonsillitis. Advances in therapy. 1998; 15 (6): 362 -371.
- Eunice Malapane, Elizabeth M Soloman, Janice pellow. Efficacy of a homoeopathic complex on acute viral tonsillitis. The journal of alternative and complementary medicine. 2014; 20 (11): 868 -873.
Dr. Neema P. The effectiveness of homoeopathic medicines in the management of tonsillitis in children between 8 – 14 years of age (dissertation). Kozhikode: University of Calicut; 2009 -2012.
- Rasheed Babita. A clinical research study on the efficacy of homoeopathic medicines in cases of recurrent tonsillitis. Research journal of recent science. 2015; 4: 13 -15.
- Dr. Subrata Kumar Banerjea. Miasmatic prescribing. Second extended edition. New Delhi: B Jain publishers; 2010.
- Allen JH. The chronic miasms with repertory. Rearranged and augmented edition. New Delhi: B Jain publishers; 2007.
- KENT J T. Repertory of the homoeopathic material medica. Fourth Indian edition. New Delhi: B Jain publishers; 2009.
- Dr. Frederik Schroyens. Repertorium Homoeopathicum syntheticum. Edition 9.1.New Delhi: B Jain publishers; 2014.
- Robin Murphy. Homoeopathic Medical repertory. Third revised edition. New Delhi: B Jain publishers; 2014.
- William Boericke .New manual of homoeopathic material medica with repertory .Augmented edition. New Delhi: B Jain publishers; 2000.
- Boger CM. Boger boenninghausen characteristics and repertory. Reprinted edition. New Delhi: B Jain publishers; 2010.
- Kent JT. Lectures on homoeopathic materia medica. Low priced edition .New Delhi: B Jain publishers; 2006.
- Lilienthal Samuel MD. Homoeopathic therapeutics. Reprinted edition. New Delhi: B Jain publishers; 2014.
- Dewey W.A. Practical homoeopathic therapeutics. Third edition revised and enlarged. New Delhi: B Jain publishers; 2008.
- Foubister Donald M. Homoeopathy and pediatrics. Reprinted edition. Bombay: homoeopathic medical publications; 1978.
- Rajkumar Mukherji. Julian’s materia medica of nosodes with repertory. Reprinted edition. New Delhi: B Jain publishers; 2000.
- Clarke J H. The prescriber. Reprinted edition .New Delhi: Indian books and periodicals publishers; 2009.
- Fayazuddin M. Surgeon’s friends in homoeopathy. Succus calendula. Reprinted edition. New Delhi: B Jain publishers; 1993.
- Palsule S.G. Homoeopathic treatment for ENT diseases. Reprinted edition. New Delhi: B Jain publishers; 2004.
- Wadia S.R. Homoeopathy in children disease. Reprinted edition. New Delhi: B Jain publishers; 2001.
- Farrington E. A. Therapeutic pointers. Reprinted edition. New Delhi: Indian books and periodical syndicate; 2010.
- Patel R.P. Chronic miasms in homoeopathy and their cure with classification of their rubrics /symptoms in Dr. Kent’s repertory. Indian edition. Kerala: Hahnemann homoeopathic pharmacy; 1996.
- .Syamalan. K. Statistics in Medicine. Second edition (revised). Trivandrum: Global Education Bureau; 2012.