Dr Vinay A Ishnava
Today’s life become easier than before by various technology. Today’s society is going to become paperless .We can not imagine today’s life without computer. Nowadays computer become part of education, business, e-trading, socializing, chatting and recreation. Number of people use computers are increase like mushroom growth. With this increase in use of computer ,certain health problem by computers also increase Among computer related problem , computer vision syndrome is most common, others are carpel tunnel syndrome, eye strain, strain injury. etc…here, we try to know computer vision syndrome and homeopathy.
Computer vision syndrome is complex of eye and vision related problems ,that are experienced during or related to prolong computer use.
Blinking is necessary to keep eyes moist and relaxed. Less blinking causes excess of evaporation and lead to dry eye. Constant working on computer by long hours focusing on computer screen, ultimately lead decreased in blinking reflex. Normal blink rate in human eye is 16-20/minute. During constant computer use, it decrease to as low as 6-8 blink/minute. Trying to near focusing for long hours cause strain on ciliary muscle of eye and finally patient feels heaviness on eyes. Some patient of 30-40 years of age cannot focus properly on near object and ultimately leads early Presbyopia.
- Low humidity environment
- Improper brightness and contrast of computer screen.
- Improper lighting of computer room
- Improper monitor height ,incorrect distance from eyes to screen.
- If computer typeface is too small.
- Cathod ray tube (CRT) screen is more prone than LCD screen.
- If the glare from windows or nearby lights is too bright.
- Failure to blink.
- Poor position in relation to computer.
- Decrease amplitude, improper accommodation.
- More prone who have binocular vision dysfunction–strabismus.
- More prone who have uncorrected presbyopia.
- More prone who have uncorrected astigmatism.
- Certain medication like antihypertensive, antihistamines, antidepressants, anticholinergic which alter the pupil’s response to light and depth of focus.
- Dry eye
- Burred vision
- Double vision
- Colour distortion
- Sensitivity to light
- Neck pain
- Shoulder pain
- Wrist soreness
- Adjust brightness and contrast of computer screen according to work environment.
- Text size and color should be optimized for most comfort.
- It is better to use LCD monitor than old tube style monitor ,because LCD has anti reflective surface and CRT monitor cause licker of images that increase if the refresh rate of monitor is less than 75 hertz (HZ)
- Select computer screen with the highest resolution. Resolution is related to’ dot pitch ‘of display and lower dot pitch have sharper images .choose display with dot pitch of 28mm.
- Select large display for desktop computer that has a screen size of at least 19 inches excessive bright light from outside sunlight and harsh interior lighting cause eyestrain. For it, exterior light decrease by closing drapes shades and interior lighting by using lower intensity bulbs, tubes.
- Use task lamp that shines only on your paper but not in your eye or monitor.
- Glare on finished surface and wall cause eye irritation for it install an anti glare screen on your monitor.
- To avoid eye tiring follow 20-20 rules means, look away beyond 20 feet at every 20 minutes and blink 20 times.
- Workstation and chair should be correct height.
- Computer screen should be 20 to 24 itches away from your eyes. It should be not to high or too low .
- Computer screen should be 10 to 15 degree below your eyes for relax of head and neck.
- Document holder should be next to your computer so, you do not have to constantly change your eye focus .
- Maintain good posture, back should be straight and shoulder back .
- Posture breaks are important to overuse of one group of muscle.
- Keep your screen free from dust, smadges .
- Avoid desk which has sharp edge, which increase pressure on wrists and cause soreness.
- Not keeping mouse close to body it should be used directly in front of shoulder .
- To avoid neck, shoulder, back pain, take break, stand up, move about, and stretch your arms legs, back, neck, shoulder.
Homeopathic treatment for computer vision syndrome:
Argentums nit: Complaints due to overwork. Muscles around eyes become tired. Patient feels better by closing eye or pressure. Aggravated by overheated. Good remedy for restoring power of weakened cilliary muscle
Arnica: Cnstant close focus cause sore feeling on eye. Fatigue due to overwork. Patient desire open eyes and feel dizzy on closing them. Backache due to overexertion.
Ruta grave: Chief remedy for eyestrain due to overuse of eye muscle. Patient has watery eyes, oversensitive to light. Stiffness and pain Ultimately lead to headache Patient feel pressure behind eyeball. Difficulty to focusing eye.
Conium mac: Artificial light or overwork cause eyestrain. Photophobia. improper night vision. Patient has foreign substance sensation as brain go to sleep. Aggravation on night, Amelioration by pressure and dark room. Seing black spot from fatigue. Headache with lancinating pain on vertex , semilateral.
Natrum mur: Continuous reading or school work lead to weak bruised feeling in the eye, stiffness of muscle around eyeball. Eyelid feel heavy and lastly person complain of headache. Person feel that letters on screen board runs together. Constant computer typing cause numbness and tingling in the fingers. Person can not hold the things. Backache relieved by putting hard things under back.
Thuja: Good remedy for cramp in fingers. Tips of fingers tough ended. Feel dead.
Crocus sativa: Patient complain of constant blinking after eyestrain, and reading a lot.
Euphrasia: After continuous eye work problem start. Watery eye. Burning and swelling lids Sticky mucous on cornea so patient blink often.
Kalmia latifolia: Stiffness of eyes eyelids. aggravate by moving eyes. Vision weak or impaired with nerve pain in face, teeth. Joint or muscle stiffness. Shift from place to place.
Xanthinam: Good remedy for backache. Patient has pain on coccyx area. Patient can not sit on hard surface and put soft pillow below while sitting .
Pilocarpus: Good remedy for eyestrain cause may be whatever. Slightest use cause tired feeling of eye. Nausea and vertigo after use of eye. White spots before eye.
Senega officinalis: Remedy act on rectus superior. Patient has sensation as eyeball is too large for orbit. Object looks shaped. Hypersensitive to light. Headache with pressure and weakness of eye .Pain in temples, bursting pain forehead. Double vision ,dry eye, ameliorated by bending head backward .
Dr Vinay A Ishnava
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org